Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Japan January 4th Show Featuring TNA

• 04-01-2008 1:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭

I hope nobody's allergic to images, I just couldn't convey my excitement using only words

tokyoiq8.jpg

New Japan have their big annual January 4th show this Friday afternoon Irish time so I thought I'd do a bit of a preview thread for it. I'm really looking forward to seeing this one and I'd say there's a few others here who might be interested in seeing the TNA guys but don't know much about their opponents, so maybe this will help a little

36713786hx5.png
    1 - Prince Devitt, Minoru & Milano Collection AT vs Christian Cage, AJ Styles & Petey Williams

This should be a good opener, Devitt had an excellent year in 2007 and is moving up the ranks. Minoru and Milano are still at a level above Devitt and they're both great junior heavyweights. The story to this one is that Devitt and Minoru lost a match to Senshi and Christopher Daniels in November, so they're out looking for revenge on TNA. Minoru also has a back story with Petey: about a year and a half ago Petey eliminated Minoru from a battle royal in TNA and Minoru wasn't happy about it

During a press conference in Japan two weeks ago, AJ said that he's going to have a big party after he wins and that he's going to make New Japan's president pay for it. That didn't go down well with the fans or with Minoru

I'm going to predict that Devitt pins Petey for the win. Devitt is involved in about 80% of the finishes when he's in a tag match (whether it be winning or losing) and it would be good for him to get back a win for New Japan over TNA

29576410xk6.png
    2 - IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title - Wataru Inoue (c) vs Christopher Daniels

Inoue only won this belt last month, his first reign with the title. He's in his mid-30's now and it looked like he'd never get the title as there have been a lot of talented junior heavyweights emerging in the last couple of years. He managed to pull it off though and this is his first defence of the title

Even though Daniels is "fired" from TNA, New Japan has this built as another New Japan vs TNA match. Depending on how long Daniels is gone from TNA, he might win the belt here. He held the IWGP junior heavyweight tag belts in the past, with Bryan Danielson. My money is on Inoue retaining though, and barely getting by each challenger that he faces

83329019zb4.png
    3 - Manabu Nakanishi vs Abyss

This match is being billed as the Japanese monster vs the American monster. Nakanishi competed in the Olympics 16 years ago in amateur wrestling and was trained by Karl Gotch and Dean Malenko's brother, so he's got the technical background. I expect this to be a brawl though. Nakanishi says that he has developed a new style of German suplex for himself to use on Abyss and he showed it off to journalists last week. Nakanishi also worked as Kurasawa in WCW about 12 years ago if anyone remembers him

Abyss didn't look anywhere near as good in 2007 as he did in 2006 and hopefully the airport customs stopped him from bringing any thumbtacks over to Japan. Those things were overused about nine months ago yet they seem to pop up in every single match Abyss has had since then. This'll be interesting as we'll see if Abyss is still capable of performing as good as he used to. It just hasn't worked out for him lately at all

I think Abyss will get the win here

13002274ve1.png
    4 - Takashi Iizuka, Koji Kanemoto, Tiger Mask IV & Ryusuke Taguchi vs Masato Tanaka, Tatsuhito Takaiwa, Yutaka Yoshie & Katsushi Takemura

Bit of a mouthful to say all those names! The first team are all New Japan guys. The first two guys from the other team represent ZERO1-MAX and their two partners represent the newly named DRADITION group, which was called Muga World up until last month. Don't worry if you don't follow, it's not that important

The New Japan wrestlers are all mainly veterans apart from Taguchi, who held the IWGP Junior Heavyweight title until the current champ, Inoue, beat him last month. TNA fans might remember Tiger Mask IV from a PPV that he worked for them last year

On the team opposing New Japan, Masato Tanaka is the best known. He's a former ECW champion and appeared on one of WWE's One Night Stand PPVs. He's still a very good wrestler. Takaiwa has held the junior heavyweight title in at least four different promotions. I don't expect this to be the best tag match on the card

I'm going with the non-New Japan team to pick up the win here

25056107il8.png
    5 - Hardcore match - Togi Makabe & Toru Yano vs Team 3D

This I'm looking forward to. Makabe is just awesome, he's got a real presence about him and you have no idea what he's going to do. He's a violent man and often uses his chain in matches. It's not often that he'll get disqualified for using the chain, but the refs sometimes will refuse to count the next pinfall for him. No such danger for him in this match as it's no DQ

Yano was a very successful amateur wrestler and feuded with Makabe at one time, but they're on the same page now. They actually won the tag team of the year award in Tokyo Sports, as voted by journalists

Makabe has promised a "blood festival" in this match and I don't doubt him. Himself and Yano have prepared for this by going to Big Japan Wrestling, a "death match" style promotion, and beating some guys. Team 3D give as good as they get, and this should be a complete war

I'm going with Makabe and Yano for the win, I can't pick against Makabe cos he's just too fun to watch

50934758qv4.png
    6 - Jado, Gedo, TARU, Shuji Kondo & "brother" YASSHI vs Tatsumi Fujinami, Riki Choshu, Masahiro Chono, Jushin Thunder Liger & AKIRA

This is a match containing the two big heel teams in New Japan and All Japan teaming up against a team of legends

Jado and Gedo represent the GBH faction in New Japan. These two are two tough, short, bald junior heavyweights who were associated with Fergal Devitt for much of last year. WWE had been rumoured to be interested in signing them for ECW at one stage. TARU, Kondo and YASSHI are all from the Voodoo Murders in All Japan. YASSHI was intending to do some MMA recently, but I never heard any more of that so I assume he's decided to leave it. He's a charismatic guy. TARU is a tall lad with a monster gimmick. Kondo had one of the best matches I've seen from 2007, against Nakajima, I just saw it in the last week. He probably won't get much of a chance to show off what he can do when there's so many involved in this match though

The legends team consists of the New Japan faction called, appropriately, Legend, minus one of their injured members. So replacing him is Fujinami, who headlined the first ever WCW Superbrawl PPV, as well as inventing the dragon sleeper and dragon suplex. The thing is, Fujinami and Choshu have legitimate bad blood between them, although they seem to be on good terms now. Last week was the first time in over five years that they had appeared in public together

Because of the age of the legends team, I'm not sure if this will be that great a match. Liger is the only one of them who can still really go. The Japanese fans will absolutely love it though, so I'll go with the legends for the win

70768902dx0.png
    7 - Hirooki Goto vs Great Muta

Goto wrestled a good few matches in TNA in 2006 when he was a junior heavyweight. Last year he went to Mexico and I don't know if there was something in the water there or not, but he came back to Japan recently and he's now a heavyweight. A very good heavyweight. He had such an awesome match not so long ago against Tanahashi for the IWGP title, it was so much fun and helped build him as a future main event player in the fans' eyes

Muta made an appearance in TNA last year, scaring Christian in his lockerroom. His last appearance in New Japan was almost eight years ago, so the fans will be very excited to see him back. He said that he'll be wearing the original Great Muta costume for this match

If Goto wins then it does wonders for him as a top guy in 2008. If he loses then it's no big deal and he'll still get a rub from hanging with Muta. So I think it'll be Muta winning here

10776488wq4.png
    8 - IWGP Tag Titles - Giant Bernard & Travis Tomko vs Rick & Scott Steiner

Giant Bernard is Prince Albert/A-Train and he is a really good wrestler these days. Himself and Tomko are the top tag team in Japan at the moment and they're taking on the Steiners, who were the top tag team 15 years ago. They once held the belts that they'll be challenging for

Realistically, this probably won't be great. Although Bernard and Tomko are capable of having good matches, the Steiners just don't seem to have it anymore. I wouldn't write them off completely as I think they could still rise to the occasion, but with two big men teams facing off this could end up ugly. Champs to retain

87361669hd3.png
    9 - Fake IWGP Title - Kurt Angle (c) vs Yuji Nagata

Ok, so it isn't really the "fake" belt...sort of... The belt that Kurt holds was the one that Brock Lesnar held when he was New Japan champion. Brock decided to go home with the belt and not give it back though, so New Japan crowned a new champion. In the meantime, Antonio Inoki (a former New Japan booker) left New Japan and set up his own promotion called the IGF. Inoki was the actual owner of the belt Brock had, so he got Brock to defend it against Angle at the first IGF event. The idea with this match is that Nagata is trying to reclaim the belt that was stolen from New Japan

This is the biggest match of the show from TNA's perspective. They're claiming that Kurt is also defending his TNA title, which kind of gives away the winner. There's a sadistic part of me that's curious about how they'd book Nagata as champ though! New Japan have mentioned nothing about the TNA title though, so it's probably not being defended

They built this up quite nicely at a press conference two weeks ago. Nagata said that he's wanted to wrestle Kurt for years and that this is the biggest match of his career, as he tries to bring the title home. Angle said that he was able to beat Brock, but nobody in New Japan had been able to. For whatever reason, Kurt didn't actually bring the belt to the press conference. It tied in with him being over-confident, as he claimed that he'll beat Nagata in less than 15 minutes

This match has a lot of potential, mainly depending on which Kurt shows up. I have no doubt that it won't be Nagata's fault if the match isn't great, because he's been having good match after good match all last year. Sort of like Kurt was a few years ago. Angle just hasn't seemed to hit it off most of the year, there's only two matches of his that I would hold up to Nagata's best of 2007

Kurt will win, no question about that

10lw6.png
    10 - IWGP Heavyweight Title - Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Shinsuke Nakamura

This is the one match on the card that features only New Japan wrestlers, so I expect these two to give this all that they've got to make it great

Back in August the IWGP champion was Nagata. The G1 Climax tournament took place and it was Nagata vs Nakamura in the semi-finals. The plan was for Nakamura to beat Nagata, then beat Tanahashi in the final, making him the number one contender for the title. The plan was also for him to win it, either at this January 4th show or sometime before

Nakamura never made it to the G1 Climax final though, he separated his shoulder after a move that went slightly wrong against Nagata. Tanahashi beat Nagata in the G1 final, then beat him again for the title in October. Last month Nakamura returned and won a number one contenders match against Makabe, leading to this main event. New Japan made me laugh, they said that they had to make that number one contenders match because TNA couldn't provide any suitable challengers. Nice burying!

Both men are young, part of New Japan's new generation of stars. Tanahashi has wrestled in TNA and John Laurinaitis and Dean Malenko were reportedly pushing for WWE to sign Nakamura in 2006 when he was on a break from Japan, but New Japan called him back as Lesnar had left with the belt and they needed as many stars as they had at the time

Tanahashi proved in 2007 that he could step it up when he needed to and that he could be counted on to deliver in the main event. The women and children all love him but there's certain sections of fans who aren't so keen on him (sound familiar?). He's kept plugging away though and recently has started acting a little heelishly, such as in his title defence vs Goto when he repeatedly attacked the leg of Goto when the referee tried to stop him. I wouldn't be surprised if more of those tactics were used in this match, even though he's been playing fair since that last title match

Nakamura will be the overwhelming face I would imagine. He's come back from injury and he's been giving it his all in every match. Both men are strong and fast and they should prove to be a good combination. They actually held the IWGP tag belts three years ago, so they're no strangers to each other, although both were a bit smaller back then. And not quite as good as they are now

You can expect Fergal Devitt to be at ringside for this match, as Nakamura is the leader of his faction

I'm picking Nakamura for the win. It's a big show and Nakamura was going to be getting it anyway, so it makes sense to me. The only thing is that Tanahashi has done so well with the belt that I think he deserves to keep it. Angle has said that he wants to unify his belt with the belt of whoever wins this match. I can't imagine Kurt winning that, but either man against him could be great

A press conference was held a few days ago and they got a large turnout, so it looks like the event is going to do well

pressconferencejv8.jpg

They said they got 2,000 but Japanese promotions always exaggerate. Could have easily been a thousand. But think of the attendance TNA's press conferences usually get!

So there ya have it, a full preview. Hope it helped a few fans of the TNA guys who know nothing about the Japanese wrestlers. You'll probably see a few more strikes and lariats than you're used to if you've only seen American wrestling, but there's something in this show for everyone. I'll try stick up some videos of the matches if I find any, as TNA's special on this show later this month will only be an hour long and it'll feature interviews and videos following their guys around Japan, so the matches will be heavily clipped

The Murder City Machine Guns are also in Japan at the moment, but they're in ZERO1-MAX defending their NWA International Lightweight tag titles. I'll see if I can find any videos of them

It'll be nice to get some matches with TNA guys where I know I'm guaranteed no bull****! Really looking forward to this now

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

nice post foz...
    I really cant wait to see this show either.What a way to kick off '08 for TNA and new japan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

You're right Fozz this should be really interesting. Its a fresh new line up for the Tokyo Dome crowd to sink their teeth into. To be honest the best match wil probably be Tanahashi/Nakamura. I don't want to see Angle in Japan but if anyone can reign in his spottier tendancies it'll be Nagata. Hopefully Fergal will shine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Now, where would one pick up a copy of this? Looks a pretty stacked card. I know very little of NJPW though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

gimmick wrote: »
    Now, where would one pick up a copy of this? Looks a pretty stacked card. I know very little of NJPW though.

I'll post any videos that I can find of it. I'd guess that there'll be some up on Youtube and the likes by next week. I knew very little about New Japan this time last year but I found it very easy to get into once I started watching some shows

If anyone is posting results then spoiler tags would be appreciated, by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Cool man :) Do you ever get to see Hustle Fozzy?

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    Cool man :) Do you ever get to see Hustle Fozzy?

Now and again, but not much. I don't keep up to date on it, bit too cartoonish and gimmicky for me! I did check out the match that Cro Cop was involved in on New Year's Eve though: http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=BW8MjEgPX8A

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Not sure if this was goin to be taped for TNA so im gonna but as a spoiler just in case
    Below are the results from last night's "TNA Wrestling vs. New Japan Pro Wrestling" event from the Tokyo Dome in Japan. TNA stars Kurt Angle, Team 3D, Abyss, AJ Styles, Christian Cage, Tomko and the Steiner Brothers were all in action against New Japan's top stars.

As a reminder, matches from this show can be seen on "Global iMPACT!", a 1-hour special that will air on Spike TV on January 17th at 11 PM, right after iMPACT!.

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom II
    January 4, 2008 - Tokyo Dome, JAPAN

- A.J. Styles, Christian Cage & Petey Williams defeated RISE (Milano Collection AT, Minoru & Prince Devitt) (10:25)

- NJPW IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship Match Wataru Inoue defeated 'The Fallen Angel' Christopher Daniels (10:17)

- Manabu Nakanishi defeated Abyss (6:00)

- Katsushi Takemura, Masato Tanaka, Tatsuhito Takaiwa & Yutaka Yoshie defeated Koji Kanemoto, Ryusuke Taguchi, Takashi Iizuka & Tiger Mask IV (8:36)

- Team 3D (Brother Devon & Brother Ray) defeated Great Bash Heel (Togi Makabe & Toru Yano) in a hardcore match (13:12)

- Legend (Jushin 'Thunder' Liger, Masahiro Chono, Riki Choshu & Tatsumi Fujinami) defeated Voodoo Murders (Shuji Kondo, TARU & 'brother' YASSHI), Gedo & Jado (7:18)

- The Great Muta defeated Hirooki Goto (13:04)

- NJPW IWGP Tag Team Champions Giant Bernard & Travis Tomko defeated The Steiner Brothers (Rick Steiner & Scott Steiner) (12:50)

- IGF IWGP Heavyweight Champion Kurt Angle defeated Yuji Nagata (18:29)

- Shinsuke Nakamura defeated NJPW IWGP Heavyweight Champion Hiroshi Tanahashi to win the title (23:08)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Fozzy wrote: »
    Now and again, but not much. I don't keep up to date on it, bit too cartoonish and gimmicky for me! I did check out the match that Cro Cop was involved in on New Year's Eve though: http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=BW8MjEgPX8A

yeah I saw it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Fozzy wrote: »

MOTY:D

Great post though Fozz. Im strating to get more and more into the Japanese stuff over the last few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Kurt Angle (c) vs Yuji Nagata Part1
    Part2
    Part3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Im shocked they put Nakamura over Tanahashi. Whats with all this swapping the title around?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

All of the of the matches here, I think.

http://ie.youtube.com/profile?user=hkkane2004

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Managed to watch a few of the matches last night and will hopefully have some time to watch a few more tonight.

The Steiners were horrible against Bernard and Tomko.

Team 3d match was better but not by much.

I really enjoyed Angle against Nagata.

Highlight of what I have watched so far though is the 6 man tag. Devitt got tons of time in the ring and a good amount of offence too. He was really really impressive in my opinion. His timing is absolutly impecible on every spot he does. He will have to work on putting some upper body muscle on though if he plans on going to the U.S at any stage.

I think I have kept some of the better matches til last. Really looking forward to the heavyweight title match.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

thanks to Fozzy for posting this and everyone who has since put up links to the matches, dont think ive enjoyed anything TNA related like I have this in um...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Just wondering, why wasn't Joe on the card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

MikeHoncho wrote: »

Highlight of what I have watched so far though is the 6 man tag. Devitt got tons of time in the ring and a good amount of offence too. He was really really impressive in my opinion. His timing is absolutly impecible on every spot he does. He will have to work on putting some upper body muscle on though if he plans on going to the U.S at any stage.

I think I have kept some of the better matches til last. Really looking forward to the heavyweight title match.

Agreed. Heres hoping that TNA show that match in there hour long special, they would be mad not to it was the best match of the night featuring TNA. Devitt was brillient, he sold the canadian distroyer better then anyone Iv seen. He seems to have a way with the crowd as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Bubs101 wrote: »

He did work with NOAH recently and has worked with Zero One in Japan in the past so I'd say his obligations with those companies got in the way. Him vs Tanahashi would have been nice!

I watched the full show earlier, an enjoyable 4 hours though not quite as good as I hoped. I'd put that down to the guys not being used to working with each other
    flahavaj wrote: »
    Im shocked they put Nakamura over Tanahashi. Whats with all this swapping the title around?

Like I said already, I was expecting it. Nakamura was due to win the title but then he got that separated shoulder. They could have had Nagata hold onto it a while longer but it seems that their plans changed somewhere. That might be the big match for this year
    The Steiners were horrible against Bernard and Tomko.

That's about as good as they give these days. When I saw the guitar in front of Jarrett I was disappointed. Crappy finish
    Team 3d match was better but not by much.

I was expecting a lot more from this. It just turned into a typical Dudleys match and Makabe looked like a nobody
    I really enjoyed Angle against Nagata.

It was a good match alright, but I'm used to better matches when Nagata's on a big show. Just felt like something was missing, but it was definitely one of Kurt's better matches of late

That was a fun match alright, but I think it was let down by the unfamiliarity between the two teams, they're all capable of better. Nice selling of the Canadian Destroyer by Devitt. He has a shot at the IWGP Junior Heavyweight tag titles next month with Minoru against TAKA Michinoku & Dick Togo. Milano got injured in this match it seems, he's getting surgery on his knee and he'll be out for a few months. Apparently AJ had been lined up by TNA to challenge Tanahashi in the main event, but New Japan didn't think he was good enough

As for the other matches, Daniels had an average match with Inoue, again I would say hindered by the unfamiliarity. Daniels took a signature move of Inoue's wrong. Abyss vs Nakanishi was crap. Abyss just couldn't leave the tacks at home. It's so frustrating because the reaction they got from the tacks wasn't near the reaction they got from the big punches they did on the ramp

The New Japan vs Zero1-Max & Dradition 8-man tag was fun, Masato Tanaka was great. I didn't give the Legends team nearly as much credit as I should have in my original post, they were really good! I only wish that that match went on longer. A lot of fun for what it was

Goto vs Muta was too one-sided for my liking but Muta just kept me captivated. It felt like a special match for me, I'd love to see Muta a bit more instead of Keiji Mutoh (though I haven't seen much of him recently anyway)

The main event was the best match for me, yet it still should have been better. Tanahashi's title matches against Nagata and Goto were a lot better and I think it was Nakamura holding it back. His selling wasn't brilliant. Still a very good match, but they're capable of better. Story of the show

Nakamura and Angle will have a title unification match on February 17th. Should be fun. After Angle came out to challenge him the TNA title started falling apart, made me laugh!
    Bubs101 wrote: »

Like Double C said, I'd assume it's something to do with NOAH

PWInsider says that New Japan wrestlers will be appearing on the next set of Impact tapings in a few weeks. Interesting. The guys most likely to appear would be Nakamura (who has a match against Angle next month) and Minoru (who said he wants a singles match with AJ). Might be seeing Devitt with them, as he's part of the same faction. I just hope TNA don't give them some insulting gimmick/angle. I mean, Gail Kim's finisher is still called "The Happy Ending", isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Jesus, Petey Williams has bulked himself up a bit, and is very annoying as a result. He's ripped off Tank Toland's gimmick too and he can't pull it off at all.

It was an enjoyable 6 man though, mainly for seeing Devitt hanging with the TNA guys. It would be nice to see him on Impact, although I'm not even sure if an appearance from him would convince me to tune in :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement