Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convert Hi8 recording to PC

• 04-01-2008 1:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

I have some Hi8 tape recordings Id like to save on my PC. Would a firewire cable do the job. The camcorder is Panasonic G30i. Theres a firewire port on my PC but there there is only a AV out on the the camcorder which is a bit like a headphone port.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

sorry but Hi8 camcorders with firewire were some very late models, i suggest trying to find a sony trv-270 and then selling it on adverts fter your done, there chep to find (about 200 euro new) and will take your Hi8 tapes and convert them to a computer over firewire, aside from that and av input card and manually controlling the camcorder is feasable, it wont look as good but its still watchable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

Another option might be to find someone with a DVD recorder, transfer the tapes to the DVD recorder then transfer the DVD to the computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 spagbol

extopia wrote: »
    Another option might be to find someone with a DVD recorder, transfer the tapes to the DVD recorder then transfer the DVD to the computer.

Am interested in this too. How would you actually connect them up to get this to work?
    Want to preserve my wedding video that's 8 years old now before it rots.

My local hardware shop is selling DVD recorders for €129. My TV has 2 scart sockets.

Connect the video to the TV on one socket and the DVD recorder on the other? And then?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

spagbol wrote: »
    Am interested in this too. How would you actually connect them up to get this to work?
    Want to preserve my wedding video that's 8 years old now before it rots.

My local hardware shop is selling DVD recorders for €129. My TV has 2 scart sockets.

Connect the video to the TV on one socket and the DVD recorder on the other? And then?

I can do it, if you just need the one video done. See the link in my sig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

if you're worried about rotting, bear in mind burned optical disks (rather than presses) have a finite life too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement