Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different prices same shop

Options
  • 04-01-2008 2:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Is it legal for two branches of the same store franchise to sell the same product at a different price?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

are they symbol groups? like londis or centra etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Weird, this just happened me today. I doubt its illegal but its probably against their own regulations, ie all shops of franchise x shouldhave the same prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭darragh666

are they symbol groups? like londis or centra etc...

They are yes, I kinda remember studying this before.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

darragh666 wrote: »
    Is it legal for two branches of the same store franchise to sell the same product at a different price?
    Yes (they are allowed to sell an item for any price they like basically as long as it is not part of an illegal cartel setting the price).

To wheres me jumpa the contracts usually includes a possibility for localized pricing for the local conditions as the owner sees fit (abuse and you tend to get kicked out though).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Certainly legal. Just could be against franchising "rules" as mentioned.

Makes sense one centra will charge more, one could have overheads, rent etc 10 times the price of another and charge accordingly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

if it's a special offer thing, maybe one shop sold out of the special offer before the other etc. It could also depend on when they received their supplies - perhaps one shop bought at a lower price i.e. before a price increase........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

i have 2 shops, franchised too, but I'll get more for item x in one shop due to its location.

It's not against "franchise rules"

einstein

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

When shops are franchises, the operator is free to set their own price. Even nationally advertised offers are sometimes marked "participating stores only". The only way a problem could arise is where a company - say supervalu- has in its franchise agreement that the operator will sell publicised items at a certain price to coincide with an advertising campaign in the papers or on the tv.

There is a guy in bray with two stores on one long road. One store charges much more for a bottle of water as it is next to a large factory with lots of lunchtime trade from office staff. The store at the other end of the road has more custom from a housing estate so is more competitive on water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Archeron

I've found on numerous occasions in the video game store in Liffey Valley that the same game can be marked at two very different prices in the one store. Very different as in up to €20. It pays to route around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Dunnes and Tesco etc charge different prices in different stores for certain items

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Archeron wrote: »
    I've found on numerous occasions in the video game store in Liffey Valley that the same game can be marked at two very different prices in the one store. Very different as in up to €20.

Nothing wrong with that as long as the price is displayed.

It always pays to shop around. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

You could imagine that the Spar in Achill Islands has very different costs to the Spars in city centre Dublin. Seems reasonable that the prices should actually differ. But its a bit confusing when its two shops just a few streets apart.

Advertisement