Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

History Special Topic.

• 04-01-2008 7:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I was thinking about doing it based on the republican history of Crossmaglen, South Armagh. My family originates from there and its something im intrested in. Im worried if its too political?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

Rum&Coke wrote: »
    I was thinking about doing it based on the republican history of Crossmaglen, South Armagh. My family originates from there and its something im intrested in. Im worried if its too political?

i dont know hi thats a tough one, ask your teacher thats all the advice i can give. they do know best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

I'd sya you'd be ok. Be Careful. There is marks going for treating the subject in an unbiased manner- if thats what you're worrying about. I know what its like- i'm from a mad Fine Gael family and did Charlie Haughey. Had to be careful not to get to angry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Rum&Coke wrote: »
    Im worried if its too political?

There's a difference between 'political' and 'biased'.... or, rather, something that deals with a political issue, and something that writes about it in a politically-motivated way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I don't know how students are supposed to pick a special topic...they should at least issue guidelines as to what to choose but basically you can do anything you like. Up until 1991..? The years hardly confine you. I have too many ideas..

I'd love to do something on Irish history as - unlike anyone in my school! - I love Irish history. Could do something on 1916 rising? the role of women? social history? i also love parnell so I'd like to do something on him.

Then again, there's european history..lots of things from WW2..and russia, that country is facinating. I also have a few ideas about china and communism...and don't even get me started on american history!

Any tips for a 5th year history student?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I thought they did give guidelines, but maybe it was just our teacher. Good tips are not to do anything that's been done to death or might come up in another exam question, cause you wouldn't be able to answer that question, so that rules out things like 1916 rising and other big important events or people. The role of women and social history are nice themes but can be a challenge, its better to go for something clear cut. Try to do it on something that wouldn't be too well known, it means you won't have to trawl through tons of books and chances are the corrector won't know anything about it which means they will be less inclined to disagree with what you are saying. I did mine on the RIC, I got one or two books out of the local library and it was perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,257 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Anything to do with Northern Ireland is always a rarely taken option at both JC and LC History.

Choose a topic in which you have an interest (but as pointed out before beware of bias - your own and that of others) and locate academic rather than anecdotal sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Fanatic4Life

I'm doing mine on the Mau Mau Uprising in Kenya, it's pretty interesting! My teacher's looking for 'em in about two weeks, haven't got anything much done yet though >.<

What other topics have people chosen? My class has things like Roger Casement, Polpot, Lord Haw Haw...random mix to say the least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Im finished mine. Did it on Ashbourne in the 1916 Rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Nikkio237

The new course has only been in what, two years? I hope there's not going to be an overlap in topics already. Unless they're talking about the older, in-exam studies. Mine's on the Kent State Massacre.

I wouldn't worry about it being politically based, unless you can't write it in an unbiased manner. If you're going to get too caught up and lean to one viewpoint, leave it alone.

For Killaqueen, I'd say to look at the availability of sources for the topics you're really interested in. This could help you narrow it down a lot, and if you do it now, you won't get stuck later. I know a few people in my year that changed their minds at least 4 times, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Do what you think you can do well on, which usually means something you have an interest in. Fair play to you to be thinking about it now!!

Advertisement