Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XBOX say sorry for poor service

• 04-01-2008 9:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Haven't seen this posted yet? Admin please remove if it has, thanks.

Link here

Copied from source

"An Open Letter from Marc Whitten about Xbox LIVE this Holiday
    Published January 3, 2008

Dear Xbox LIVE Members:

During this past holiday season you helped us break a number of Xbox LIVE records. This included our largest sign-up of new members to Xbox LIVE in our 5 year history and just yesterday you broke the record for the single biggest day of concurrent members ever on the service.

As a result of this massive increase in usage we know that some of you experienced intermittent Xbox LIVE issues over the holiday break. While the service was not completely offline at any given time, we are disappointed in our performance. I would like to take this moment to thank you each and every one of you for your patience and understanding as our team has worked around the clock to return the service to a stable state.

At the same time we would like to offer a token of our appreciation to all of you in celebration of record success for the service. And as a thank you for your loyalty during this holiday period, we will be offering all of our Xbox LIVE members around the world access to a full Xbox LIVE Arcade game that will be available to download free of charge. In the coming weeks we will be sharing the specific details of this offer with you.

Thank you again for helping make Xbox LIVE everything that it is today!

Sincerely,

Marc Whitten

General Manager, Xbox LIVE

Gamertag: Notwen"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

sweet - here's hoping it SF HD :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Is that not restricted to the US.?. Been reading about live been down since Xmass, only went down on me once for about 20 mins, but that was prob my connection...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

What are the odds that it's a free game like frogger or space giraffe? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

space giraffe ftw :)

Still, it's a nice gesture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Wonder if Konami would issue the same kind of statement considering the horrible performance of PES2008 on xbox live???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

unklerosco wrote: »
    Is that not restricted to the US.?. Been reading about live been down since Xmass, only went down on me once for about 20 mins, but that was prob my connection...

I've had huge problems connecting to XBL over the last two weeks. Guess you were one of the lucky ones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Crazy... Its been fine for me, been playing cod4 for about 2-3hrs a night with no problems...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭franman

Q_Ball wrote: »
    I've had huge problems connecting to XBL over the last two weeks. Guess you were one of the lucky ones!

Same here! Definitely wasn't restricted to the US

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Rumor has it that is was DDOS attack that brought it down:
    http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/04/debunk-xbox-live-was-down-but-not-due-to-ddos-attack/

cant imagine thats to be true tho seeing as it lasted approx 2 weeks (luckily I didnt have any problems)

Sorry info on DDOS here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ddos_attack

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

xbox live is on a closed network so a ddos attack would be hard to pull off i think.

my live wasn't fully down but it may as well been as connections kept droppping for last 2 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Only issues I was having was struggling to get a game of COD4 online, all other games worked fine for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Nice one. Free game!

Saying that, it has been a little slow to connect but I thought that was to do with my **** internet connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

Yeah mine was acting up the past few days, nice of them to offer the free game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

FutureGuy wrote: »
    space giraffe ftw :)

Still, it's a nice gesture.

You wouldn't be saying that if they actually gave Space Turkey away...
    An absolutely ****ing horrible game!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,699 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If Microsoft did the sensible thing and gave us all a free copy of Rez HD, I don't think I'd ever buy a non-Microsoft console again.

*hint, hint*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,912 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Yes Yaris 2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

was having issues with PGR2 this week- scoreboards not updating and being gererally laggy.

It's almost to be expected over the holiday season. Doesn't the iTunes store crash every Christmas Day now with the huge rush?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Fnck that, I just bought a load of Arcade Live games... ironically BECAUSE the online connectivity was crap. They had better not give me one of those.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

If Microsoft did the sensible..

Now there's an idea? SWOS?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I would like to take this moment to thank you each and every one of you for your patience and understanding as our team has worked around the clock to return the service to a stable state.

Stable ?
    FFS its as bad tonight as every night since christmas,its fine during the day but come evening time its total garbage.
    Anyone else having issues tonight yet again?
    I can log in but cod4 is a disaster.

Makes me wonder was my choice of going with a 360 instead of ps3 the correct one.
    Its becoming a pisstake at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Dcully wrote: »
    Stable ?
    FFS its as bad tonight as every night since christmas,its fine during the day but come evening time its total garbage.
    Anyone else having issues tonight yet again?
    I can log in but cod4 is a disaster.

Makes me wonder was my choice of going with a 360 instead of ps3 the correct one.
    Its becoming a pisstake at this stage.

It was the right decision, trust me the PSN is absolute crap, and if your connection is bad in the evenings this could be due to it being a high load time for ISP's.

The only game I bought to play over the PSN, I get a PSN network error every single match I join, so I have kinda given up on it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Nah its not my connection m8 or any isp peak time issues.
    I have been playing cod4 on pc all evening since live is going crazy with a ping of 40 ms to my clan server..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Fair enough.
    But whatever issues Live! has, trust me PSN dosen't have a patch on it, and thats when PSN is running without any issues. Well just my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

American nerds sue MS for Live downtime....
    A trio of Texan gamers are looking to capitalize on the service disruption that Microsoft has been experiencing with Xbox Live over the past fortnight, writes the Seattle Times. A class action lawsuit has been filed against Microsoft alleging breach of contract over connection issues and server errors many were experiencing when trying to play online. The three plaintiffs claim that MS "failed to exercise reasonable care or competence in communicating information regarding the nature of services offered through Xbox Live" resulting in damages suffered. I'm no lawyer, but I bet there are some Twitter server logs that will argue otherwise!

The complaint, which is available for download via the Seattle Times, doesn't mention what damages are being sought by the group, but does point out expenses associated with Live subscription costs and attorney fees. Your tax dollars at work, ladies and gentlemen!

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/techtracks/2008/01/xbox_live_holiday_outages_prompts_class_action_law.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,699 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Heh think Ive only logged into Live once over Christmas. Luckily all my Christmas gifts were single player (starting Mass Effect tomorrow actually, better be as good as some of ye say ;)). So any freebie is good in my books. Its just, y'know, if it was something decent all the better.

And foolish nerds with their class action suit. Tbh, Jack Thompson has more chance of success.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

There' some gamer kids in Texas trying to sue Microsoft for FIVE MILLION cause they couldn't get onto xbox live!!!
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6184323.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;2

Still, there's a free game in it for us or is that just the states?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Microsoft not letting that kid onto Xbox Live was probably a GOOD thing. Hate those poxy American teenagers that clog up Halo with their taunts of "ass rape".

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Think Live is down today.
    Can log in, but can't access anything else - marketplace, updates. multiplayer. usual story.
    Can't even log into xbox.com on my browser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah down for me too. I was downloading a game a while back, it stuck at 99% and wouldn't finish. After a few retries, it wouldn't even let me into marketplace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Aye, seems to be down for me as well. Can't update a game and I get the error 807b01f7 when I try to open one of the marketplace pages (which according to googlage usually means that there's a problem at their end)
    Can't seem to sign in to xbox.com ether

Advertisement