Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What could be the problem

Options
  • 04-01-2008 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am trying to identify a prb I have with my car.

It's losing power and stalling while I am driving. It started off days ago and just got progressively worse. At first it was intermittent, it was "chugging", then had spurts of being fine, then back to chugging again.

The car has 93 00 miles on the clock and is 10 years old.

Thx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Lewe

what make car is it

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Jeff Bond wrote: »
    The car has 93 00 miles on the clock and is 10 years old

Hi Jef

It might help if you specify make and model of your car

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

unkel wrote: »
    Hi Jef

It might help if you specify make and model of your car

Hi Unkel,

It is a Renault Megane 1.6e Classic, 1998, 93 000 miles.

Thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Lewe

One possiblity is that the distributor could be faulty.....I have seen this before in a couple of cars(mostly colts)of the same year......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

Not trying to be smart but its a Renault. It could be anything. Such as plug leads, plugs, coil packs etc..........

Recommend you get a mechanic to check this out asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

MAF? You really need to bring it to a mechanic, though.

Healyc wrote: »
    Not trying to be smart but its a Renault. It could be anything. Such as plug leads, plugs, coil packs etc..........

Recommend you get a mechanic to check this out asap.

This is why I didn't put the make to start with. The reason for the problem is that it is an old car not that it is Renault.

I assume other make have similar problems or is it just Renault that have cars that wear out after 10 years?

The last time I went to the mechanic he told me that the reason was that it was a french car. I looked around and the only french car in his garage was effectively mine. (maybe all cars are French ...)

Surely there is a more rational explanation. And, no, Renault is not a rude word I kind of like my car. Unfortunately it is not indestructible.

And, you are correct, I am going to a mechanic. I just wanted to know what was wrong before I go.

Thank you

I went to a mechanic, he said it was one of the coils.

Ive no idea what this is. I couldnt leave the car with him unfortunately.

Do you guys know if this is easy (cheap) to repair?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Jeff Bond wrote: »
    I went to a mechanic, he said it was one of the coils.

Ive no idea what this is. I couldnt leave the car with him unfortunately.

Do you guys know if this is easy (cheap) to repair?

Rough price per coil is €50, parts only. Get onto GSF carparts and they might get the parts cheaper for you.

Advertisement