Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Notifications

Options
  • 04-01-2008 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know of setting up a schedule of notifications that doesnt use Outlook (its a windows network - 2k3 server) to pop up a particular message every thursday at a particular time on all PCs currently logged in. Novell had a lovely network messager that you could schedule but I cant find an equivalent on 2k3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Have a look at the "NET SEND" comment. You could create a scheduled task that sent a broadcast one of these.

Problem is that many if not most security policies disable windows messaging by default to prevent users from abusing the net send.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

yep. I was thinking of something along the lines of net send alright but does this work with vista (yes we have a few) and Mac machines ? Thing about net send is that it requires the messenger service to be running which in turn allows messages to be sent without any authentication - this services was disabled by default in XP SP2 iirc as it was considered a severe security risk. I would be ok with enabling the messenger service on a non-critical machine for sending but I think it also needs to be enabled on all recipient machines which is not really an option.

Advertisement