Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT, Do you need your VLC?

Options
  • 04-01-2008 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭

I have been moving house and managed to hide my VLC somewhere in the massive pile of belongings, and my NCT is a few days away. Do they actually require it for the NCT? Has anyone been asked for it? Its been 2 years since the last one so I cant remember.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

I brought mine with me and they did'nt ask to see it - the guy next to me was asked to show his ?

I think they only ask to see it if there is some discrepancy between their records and the car ? If they say you're car is blue on their system and you say it's silver then they want to see the VLC - I think

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

yes, they need your VLC to book it in when you get to the centre. i did during all my NCT's between ballymun and liffey valley centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

I have NCT'd a few cars without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Its not reqd however as shanel23 said its reqd and will be asked for if there is a problem relating to details of the car, ie reg no, colour, VIN no etc. No VLC book is not a reason for failure or refusing the test. A lot of the folks I think do ask for it as it saves them asking the customer to confirm their name, make, model, colour, fuel type etc

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

You don't really need the VLC, so you can stop searching the house for it, found anything nice so far?;)

Only if the chassis number in the NCT Computer doesn't match the chassis number of your car, you need the VLC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

I was in a similar situation earlier this year and I rang the NCT . You will be allowed to do the test but they won't issue the NCT certificate until you produce the VLC you have 30 days to do so. I was lucky enough in that they didn't ask for it and i was given the NCT cert on the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

I've never been asked for mine when getting tested, issued NCT certificate no problem. I've gone through at least 4 tests with different cars, all tested out near Liffey Valley.

IPB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Thanks peoples :) I will bring it if I find it, but I wont worry too much.

Advertisement