Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

St Jean de Monts

• 04-01-2008 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

I am considering going to france for just over 2 weeks at the start of June. Am thinking of st jean de monts anyone been there whats it like? would 2 weeks be to short to head to the south of france? We will have a 1.5 year old and a 13 year old with. Am really open to suggestions. What will the availabilty of campsites be lke at that time of year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Hi

We were in that area last year and we had a 3yr old and a 2 yr old with us. If ya break the drive up into 2 or so stop overs, you will have no problem with the kids.
    Campsite availability was absolutely no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

We normally travel to Vendee region usually end June for about 3 weeks. UK school holidays dont start 'till mid/end July so no problem with accomidation and sites.
    I think two weeks is a bit short but that's just my oppinion. There's a couple of discussions on this forum about this area going back around March/April07, here is one link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭youtheman

I was is St Jean de Monts in 2004, for two weeks. Saw the sun for 1/2 day, overcast for the rest of the time. Even had to go out and buy extra duvets as we were cold at night. Swore if I was ever driving to France again I would go farther south to try catch the sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Stayed in St Jean de Monts when i was ab out 12/13, had a great time!!!

As far as i can remember the weather wasn't amazing but i was nothing to complain about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

if you get rain in St Jean de Monts then you are unlucky, as the small Vendee region gets Med like weather due to geographical quirks.

St Jean De Monts itself is a very very popular resort and can get very busy and overcrowded. Other areas around it are just as nice and can be less busy.

I am picky about where I stay so I usually book in advance to ensure a good campsite instead of just turning up. I would hate to arrive and have to park further than walking distance from a beach!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭derden

thanks for the replys, booked the ferry so departing the 13th of june to roscoff and back the 22nd. 3ps where exactly are you utalking about, do you have any websites for the camplsites?

well it's all one long beach around there so any towns along the coarst. It's just that right in St Jean, and also Les Sables D'Olonne can be very busy... but a mile or two (or more) either side can be less hectic, but you still have beaches etc.

I use Alan Rogers for checking out campsites. You can also zoom into the area on Google Maps and search for businesses with they keyword "camping".

I wouldn't book through Alan Rogers online.. just use it to find nice campsites and then google them and book directly.

I can't remember the names of any of the campsites we used! Last year we wen't to Ile de Noirmoutier and had a nice time, but we like quiet holidays! If you are interested in going there I can let you know what I booked. It was a campsite in a pine forest right on a nice beach, and about a 5 minute cycle to the local town (Noirmoutier) on a walkway through a marshland. It was very nice and the island itself is nice for cyling around on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Last year we stayed a few nights at www.camping-les-pirons.com just a few miles south of St Jean de Monts. It a nice site with direct access to the beech.

Another site close to St Jean De Monts that we've used is http://www.camping-aux-ecureuils.com/ which has several pools and a 3 min walk from the beech.

Taxis are available into St Jean De Months and we walked home along the beech which took about an hour.

I stayed at Les Ecureils too! although it was in a mobile home at the time.
    I liked it, and the beach was across the road, although you had to walk through the dunes for 5-10 mins, but it's all nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I stayed in St Jean-de-Monts 4 years out of the last 6. We stayed at a Siblu camp, Le Bois Masson. We stayed in July, so the weather was quite hot, in fact it was sweltering. Last year wasn't too bad. We also had thunderstorms and some heavy rain, but all told it's a great place. The camp was good, the beach is huge, and there are plenty of places to tour around, like Puy du Fou and Planete Sauvage. The folks beside us last year had motorhomes (we didn't). The camp caters for caravans and camping, too. Good luck with the holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭derden

Thanks for all the replies, can't wait to get there. I went years ago in my fathers old VW Camper but i was very young. We have a 1.5 year old so a nice quiet holiday is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Advertisement