Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OU Honours History Degree

Options
  • 04-01-2008 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Thinking of doing this, has anyone done it?

Always wanted to do a history degree! :)
    and the subjects are really interesting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I haven't done the history degree, but took some history related courses and found them pretty good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 skinnybop

I'm in the middle of my first year of this course. the first course you need to take is an introduction to humanities which is a bit of a pain but as you work through you begin to see why. you build you up the skills you need to progress in the course such as essay writing, assessing things, way of thinking etc. you cover things such as classic studies, music, poetry, religion, philosophy. Like yourself i have always wanted to do a history degree and i honestly thought i would find it easier because i read so many history books as it is but its really the skills that you learn in the first year that help you through. i would recommend the course - the materials are good, you have a tutor and there is online exercises and chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yup, A103 is a good grounding in general for any of the Arts & Humanities subjects as it gets you into the methods you need to know, and the skills you need to write at that level. Plus it's an interesting course and even if you follow the history route, you will encounter some of those subjects again at various times. I really enjoyed it :)

It's a great introduction to the way the OU works as well.

Advertisement