Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Islamic greetings?

• 04-01-2008 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Just wondering where I could source such? Thanks
    A

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

The classic "Al Salam Alaykom" will suffice in most situations. It literally means "Peace be upon you".

I'm a little curious as to why you want to know. Not that there's anything wrong with knowing of course :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Thanks
    I want to know as I interact with quite a few Muslims....and well I'd like to be able to greet them in their own 'tongue'..it's usually appreciated..have learned basic phrases of several languages..and conversing with a foreign national in his own language...even on the most basic level....usually warms an exchange....Just because I'm not a Muslim...dosen't mean that I won't afford them respect.

Respect to that my friend! :)

:) Most people are good....most people only wish others well.... Muslims are no different. Somewhat of a language addict actually.... Strange relationship with Islam....admire quite a lot about it..even though it's a faith that overall I couldn't accept....I quite enjoy discussion with Muslims....because I do admire the faith of Muslims and how everything has a purpose. I'm not religous...but I'm quite spiritual....and very principled...I admire the spirituality of Islam...in a very materialistic and in ways soulless society..Islam has a soul...That's why I admire it..although I could never wear the faith myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Jackus

So, as non-muslim person, can I use sentence "Al Salam Alaykom" in relation to others - muslims?

• Advertisement

You can indeed! :) You're wishing peace upon someone... that can only be a good thing. A non-Muslim could say it to a non-Muslim and it would still carry the same meaning.

Interesting thoughts there Filan. Thanks for sharing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Jackus

Thats good, because I used this in Bosnia - mostly muslim country and I use that in pakistanian stores in City Centre.
    The most of muslims I met they are really friendly people!

Your welcome New Mr. I have modified my views on Islam....in that Muslims did not themselves compose the Quaran. Therefore it was wrong of me to be so vehement in my questions to them personaly. Much of the Quaran was not understood by them either...some proclaimed not to even have read it!....many Muslims too struggle with elements of the Quaran....

There is obvious difficulties with sections of the Quaran from my vantage point, most of which have been discussed here...I have no wish to revisit such. I realise now that Muslims are just people and few wish me or others harm... Most people, including most Muslims, are simply trying to live their lives the best that they can....

Islam and I assume my cradle faith of Catholicism...do create a sense of belonging...of being part of something greater than ourselves...at a time when a lot of people feel isolated and directionless despite wealth or apparent advantages. Religion fills this void for many.

That's why in many ways I like...even slightly envy Muslims...because so many of them have this sense of direction....that I frequently struggle for....and I know many others do also.

Islam isn't the answer for me....too many doctrinal incompatabilities...But elements of it are close to my heart.

Salaam
    A

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Filan. I'm happy to see that you want to live peacefully with everyone. Wish everyone was like you.
    Filan wrote:
    Much of the Quaran was not understood by them either...some proclaimed not to even have read it!....many Muslims too struggle with elements of the Quaran....
    That's true and, I'm sorry to say, was true of me until a few years ago. I can say from experience that anything that Muslims may struggle with when it comes to the Quran can be put down to ignorance.
    Filan wrote:
    Islam isn't the answer for me....
    Ya never know!! ;)

Advertisement