Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Carzone - SCHUMACHER F1 car

Options
  • 04-01-2008 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭

Just browsing through carzone this morning and spotted this.
    Does anyone know what it is about? I presume its some sort of promotion.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Keep reading at it explains all:
    SEE THIS RACING CAR ONLY AT OWEN REDDY MOTOR COMPANY, MOUNTRATH, CO. LAOIS. ENTER OUR GREAT COMPETITION IN-STORE - TOP PRIZES

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Looks like an ad for Owen Reddy to me. You'd think they would have updated their website to match though, wouldn't you?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I didnt think that Ferrari sold their cars with engines.. I've seen a few in various locations, Fiat Dealerships etc and none has engines..

Wonder if they would let me take it for a test drive??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Carzone add is gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

jozi wrote: »
    Carzone add is gone now

It's still there for me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

still there for me too... just had a look! hmmm.... he has a cool jag there too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Works now, maybe the site was down for a quick update or dodgy wireless here?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    I didnt think that Ferrari sold their cars with engines.. I've seen a few in various locations

Namely in Lewis Hamiltons Car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Even if they had the car for sale 4M is way too much anyway, id laugh if some eejit paid that. Google for some cars used in the boss series. 1M would be a a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    I didnt think that Ferrari sold their cars with engines.. I've seen a few in various locations, Fiat Dealerships etc and none has engines..

Wonder if they would let me take it for a test drive??? :D

What you've seen are show cars. They're replicas that may use genuine body panels and bits 'n pieces, but have no engine, transmission, electrics or anything else that might make it go. The wheels turn and the steering works (to make it easier to push), but that's about the limit of it's mechanical abilities. The teams use them when sponsors are looking for something for a trade stand or other event. When I used to work for AST we used to get a McLaren car over for events sometimes, as we supplied their laptops. Even if you have nothing to do with F1 you can buy one from here. The manufacturer built ones are worth €50k+ even second hand.

You can buy a Ferrari F1 car, with an engine, but only if they like you. They have their "Corse Clienti" department that will sell you an old F1 car, with a support package, on condition that you agree to display it at Ferrari events and give them first refusal when you sell it.

Old F1 cars are traditionally sold without engines because a) the engines are worth as much as the rest of the car and b) engines are leased to the teams, rather than sold, so they all go back to the engine manufacturer after the season is over. Even if you could get your hands on a suitable F1 engine you probably wouldn't want to spend the money on a full rebuild after every track day, would you? Some manufacturers, such as Judd make engines suitable, but more long lived, to be dropped in place of the original article.

I'm driving up to Dublin on Tuesday so I might pop in for a look....

Gary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Ferrari produce several promotional mules that are used in car dealerships, etc. These were never raced and don't have engines. Not even sure if they use carbon fibre or are just lookalikes.

However, they do sell their retired racing cars to "special customers". I think it was Fifth Gear that had a programme on a UK based property developer (who else) that was buying an ex Schumacher car. It was sold with all the gear ready to race. They didn't disclose how much he paid for it, but I guess it was at least €2m. He had to sign a contract when buying the car which limited how he used it and how he sold it on. Again, these terms weren't disclosed. Great programme though.

Advertisement