Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skilled worker visas

Options
  • 04-01-2008 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

I'm probing the idea of moving abroad to work for a few years, probably in the software development industry. Canada looks particularly appealing. I took a self-assessment to see whether I would qualify for a skilled worker visa, which would allow me to move over there and apply for jobs with a permit in my hand, and on the face of it I appear to qualify for one.

I've just started exploring this idea so I have a lot of questions. I can get answers to some of these through various websites but I'd be interested in hearing about people's experiences. Is it feasible to apply for one of these before having decided if I actually want to go? How long does the process take? Is it advisable to have a large lump sum in advance to get comfortably set up? Is it worth applying for one of these via an agency or is it better to apply directly to the relevant Canadian government department?

I'd like to hear about other people's experiences of migrating to other countries for a number of years too, particularly with skilled worker visas that are not hugely difficult to obtain. Cheers folks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Come on folks....I know that half of you who come here live in Canada so give the guy some help !

I'm planning on moving over in 2009 so need the help myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 smithdogg AU

hey champ - i am actually moving to canada in march - however i am doing it on an australian working holiday visa (as i am aussie) - which is the sweetest deal around - lucky for me cause i was doing research into skilled worker visas and work permits etc and it was very scary... the skilled worker thing seems to take forever to process - ie over 6 months - maybe even 18...

If you want the work permit it's quicker but you need a job first, which is tough without the permit..!! Also - if you are looking at Quebec, you have to do extra stuff to work there after you are allowed to work in Canada.

PM me or whatever if you want to talk some more about it - in the mean time i might suggest you get a holiday visa to Australia - as it's the best country in the world!

For more info you can do some more web searches - you might even try an agency here in dublin, there is one on dawson st in dublin which looks like they can help with stuff.. also bear in mind there are some official looking sites (agencies etc) that charge you to do things you can do yourself...

anyway good luck mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 smithdogg AU

hmm after reading some more of your post i might throw in some more info:

i am over here working but i have an irish passport which made it easy - however i came over here with a buddy who applied for a job and got a work visa through one of the big accounting firms - easy enough but still cost a few months and he is screwed if he tries to get a job somewhere else..

as for cash - with my WH visa thing you need to have at least CAD$4k going over - i would suspect it would be similar for the other arrangements

as for applying - as i said it takes ages, but can't hurt to send your application in anyway, if you change your mind no big deal - also i think you can apply for a few different types of permits etc at once

aussie WHP - http://www.whpcanada.org.au/

just saw another thread though with a different program you might like:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055215774

Advertisement