Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More money than I thought!!!

• 04-01-2008 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

For various different reasons I needed to prove I was not working to a third party and as a result I signed on. I had not intended to do so as I didn't really need the cash. This lead to me getting dole money as was my entitlement. I was looking but did turn down some roles that I felt I would be unhappy/didn't pay enough.
    Cut to now and I start a job on Monday paying more than I though I could get. I signed off but there had been arrears that kept getting missed due to some mix ups. The end result is I got about 2k of dole money pretty much in a lump sum. I feel a bit bad that I got this when I don't really need it but at the same time I pay my taxes so it seems fair. On top of that I also will be paying more taxes now so sounds like the government are better off too. Am I just being mean by keeping it rather than giving it to a charity? Is it just guilt for doing well?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Kipperhell wrote: »
    For various different reasons I needed to prove I was not working to a third party and as a result I signed on. I had not intended to do so as I didn't really need the cash. This lead to me getting dole money as was my entitlement. I was looking but did turn down some roles that I felt I would be unhappy/didn't pay enough.
    Cut to now and I start a job on Monday paying more than I though I could get. I signed off but there had been arrears that kept getting missed due to some mix ups. The end result is I got about 2k of dole money pretty much in a lump sum. I feel a bit bad that I got this when I don't really need it but at the same time I pay my taxes so it seems fair. On top of that I also will be paying more taxes now so sounds like the government are better off too. Am I just being mean by keeping it rather than giving it to a charity? Is it just guilt for doing well?

a brilliant story

with a happy ending

and a stupid question at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Meirleach

If you don't have an immediate use for it, it might be an idea to put it away for a rainy day, always handy to have a bit extra in the bank ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭newbusiness

You sought and got a well paying, presumably PAYE paying job.

In the process you got some unemployment benifit.

I don't think anyone here will think bad of you seen as how your plans and motives were honourable.

Buy yourself a new bicycle and get fit. That should easily save the government €2000 in health care for you in later life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Meirleach wrote: »
    If you don't have an immediate use for it, it might be an idea to put it away for a rainy day, always handy to have a bit extra in the bank ;)
    Banking shill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Spades

Great to hear stories like this, was made redundant after seven years over Christmas, I hope to get something suitable soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Jay D wrote: »
    and a stupid question at the end
    I guess I feel a bit guilty knowing I just got back from Christmas away and I spent the same amount on shopping.
    Buy yourself a new bicycle and get fit. That should easily save the government €2000 in health care for you in later life.
    I will be cycling to work as I always do but gym membership might not be a bad idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Spades wrote: »
    Great to hear stories like this, was made redundant after seven years over Christmas, I hope to get something suitable soon.

I was in the same boat a year and half ago and a contract job and just got a contract paying more than my annual salary in half a year. Enjoy the time off if you can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

You paid taxes to get this money when you needed it one day so don't be guilty. Its yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Splash out on a really nice holiday with someone! Or treat someone you love who deserves a nice treat. Charity starts at home ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Meirleach

Terry wrote: »
    Banking shill.
    Dear sir you wound me, I was merely pointing out that it can be advantageous to have some money to fall back upon :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 sawyer yum yum

my god just spend it!! thats so mental feeling guilty about taking it! If you feel that bad i'd love to help you out and ease the burden haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

might as well keep it. Rather you get my hard earnt tax money than some pikey knacker or tracky wearing scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Put it in the credit union or bank or something.

You'll be paying tax your whole life, might as well get something from it.

The bike idea is good though!

Advertisement