Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD broadcasting on TV?

• 04-01-2008 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

I am little unfamiliar with broadcasting and video editing so forgive the possibly stupid questions.

Is it possible to use a DVD to broadcast on tv? By possible I mean the quality acceptable and that the rights owners can get paid?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Kipperhell wrote: »
    I am little unfamiliar with broadcasting and video editing so forgive the possibly stupid questions.

Is it possible to use a DVD to broadcast on tv? By possible I mean the quality acceptable and that the rights owners can get paid?

Yes and no. It would really depend on the station, as there are many things that can go wrong with a dvd. The tv station would then probably convert the dvd to a digibeta or if their are posh, they tapeless environment for broadcast.

The only station i know of who openly accept dvd as source is channel 6 for the music videos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Is the conversion expensive?

I know some of the movies I am talking about are public domain but how do you find out who owns the rights to be sure and pay the right people if need be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

first off what is it that you are trying to do? is there a particular station that will be broadcasting these films?

I want to put a showcase of old horror movies together. Some will be difficult to get hence the dvd question. I want to get an idea of costs and methods to acquire rights and copies to show them. Some may never have had a rating here so that might also be an issue also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

Which TV station are you proposing to show this on?

Theatrical ratings not an issue for TV, as far as I know.

• Advertisement

extopia wrote: »
    Which TV station are you proposing to show this on?

Theatrical ratings not an issue for TV, as far as I know.

I'd rather not say but I doubt it will be RTE. I could talk to the people involved but I want to have a better idea of how I could work it first. It could easily be an expensive hobbie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Gizmodeon

I don't know if it being a DVD would be the issue
    The issue would be what format it is in, the majority of stations in Ireland would have digibeta format, and if it was American than more likely it would be betamax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

Digitbeta and betamax are tape formats. Nothing to do with DVD.

AFAIK no TV station in Ireland will touch a DVD for broadcast, but I could be wrong. Maybe one of the cable access channels.

It's difficult to establish what exactly you are trying to do. Approach a TV station with a DVD of rare movies and say, "Here, will you broadcast this?"

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think any station would be interested in this proposal.

The copyright issue is another big one, but the station should be able to help you there too, because they're the people who will have to pay any royalties due.

extopia wrote: »
    Digitbeta and betamax are tape formats. Nothing to do with DVD.

AFAIK no TV station in Ireland will touch a DVD for broadcast, but I could be wrong. Maybe one of the cable access channels.

It's difficult to establish what exactly you are trying to do. Approach a TV station with a DVD of rare movies and say, "Here, will you broadcast this?"

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think any station would be interested in this proposal.

The copyright issue is another big one, but the station should be able to help you there too, because they're the people who will have to pay any royalties due.

The idea is similar to Videodrome or Vampira. Basically a small show about the movie before the show about the movie an it's content. Selection of movies based on a theme, SKY used to do it. It is quite common in the US but they also have a bigger better stocked distribution system AFAIK. Shipping copies from the US would be costly and it would be still difficult to get copies.

I am trying to put the whole proposal together so I can really ask the station and as I said many will be public domain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Emuukha

Kipperhell wrote: »

Any quality is acceptable if it's archive footage and you don't have a choice, but it would be transferred, more than likely to digi, before tx.
    If you want to transfer it yourself you can do it in a facilities house, but it's not cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Boardsbud

You're heading down a cul de sac here. Essentially what you're suggesting is that you'd like to produce a preview show about the movie to be followed by that same movie yes ?

For a start TV channels can't just show whatever movies they like. RTE don't run down to Xtra Vision in Donnybrook on a Sat night to pick a movie to fill a few hours. They buy movies in bulk from distributors and the rights to transmit these films a specific negotiated amount of times. Were you to produce a show originating the film from DVD and supply it to a broadcaster you would be in contravention of copyright law for illegally duplicating the movie for your own commercial gain. Read the small print unless you'd like to be in court vs Fox or Univeral !

Films are generally supplied to the broadcaster on Digibeta. This applies to broadcasters all over the world. Betamax mentioned earlier is an early analogue version of todays Digibeta(max). The only difference between here and the States is the broadcast standards PAL here, NTSC there. The tape format is irrelevant. Newer product can be supplied on formats like HDCAM for HD transmission. Not alot of that going on around here yet though. Thats another story !!
    I don't think any self respecting broadcaster would transmit directly from DVD.
    So your main issue here is that if you want to create such a programme you would need to negotiate a contract with the broadcaster in order for them to allow you access to their schedule and library of movies which are planned weeks/months in advance of transmission. Its worth pitching the idea to the broadcaster. Commissioning rounds come up several times a year. RTE did a show like this a few years ago called The Last Picture Show fronted by Brian Reddin (movie "guru") whos actually a TV producer. I think Channel 6 have been doing it recently with their movie show presenter Tarragh Loughrey Grant.

Hope this helps, best of luck.:D

Advertisement