Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signing up for Eircom

Options
  • 04-01-2008 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Finally got word that my exchange has been enabled for Broadband!
    After looking around for alternatives - seems that Eircom are probably the safest provider for DSL BB (no smart where I am).
    The alternatives are really poor:

BT - poor reports here on billing
    Digiweb DSL - BB only, phone still with Eircom (don't want 2 bills and not saving money)
    IBB DSL - same as above

So looks like Eircom:
    €50 to get the line turned on (new house)
    €30 to get BB switched on - Is this new???????

Any advice appreciated before I go for Eircom (very reluctantly but I guess I am lucky to be able to get DSL in the first place - wireless not an option where I am)

Cheers all!
    Keith.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Finally got word that my exchange has been enabled for Broadband!
    After looking around for alternatives - seems that Eircom are probably the safest provider for DSL BB (no smart where I am).
    The alternatives are really poor:

BT - poor reports here on billing
    Digiweb DSL - BB only, phone still with Eircom (don't want 2 bills and not saving money)
    IBB DSL - same as above

So looks like Eircom:
    €50 to get the line turned on (new house)
    €30 to get BB switched on - Is this new???????

Any advice appreciated before I go for Eircom (very reluctantly but I guess I am lucky to be able to get DSL in the first place - wireless not an option where I am)

Cheers all!
    Keith.

Digiweb now do phone and BB over copper so one bill - 49.99 gets you line rental, unlimited landline calls and 1Mbps broadband plus free wireless router

http://www.digiweb.ie/talk_broadband.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Ah that's new! - Bet I will have to get my line activated by Eircom first
    Digiweb actually look dearer than Eircom though - for a 2mb line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Does anybody know if and when Eircom will provide free connections for phonelines - also looks on the website that BB connection is now €30

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Eircom had offers up until recently (pre xmas) where if you ordered online bb was free and free connection for an in situ line or a prewired line, only full installations were charged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 thefox84

hate to say this but eircom are probably your best option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 DVDMAN

Dont go with eircon whatever you do, their support lines are the busyiest of all providers and the service/tech is exactly the same just your paying less through another provider. For dsl go with IrishBB or UTV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭St0n3d

DO NOT GO UTV.

Broadband is mediocore compared to Eircoms.

Yes utv is cheaper. Quite cheaper considering the 3mb is only 35 euro compared to Eircoms 48.50.

However save yourself the hassle and stay with the old reliable. Eircom!

Utv 3mb At 1-2 km from exchange - 2.54 mb - 2.30 during the day. Drops occasionaly. useless for games. EXPECT LAG

Eircom 3m - At 1-2 km from exchange - 2.67 constant. No drops, low ping all around. 20ms to uk. Excelent steady connection 24/7

Utv will take your line rental and any issues with the line you will be told go to Eircom. Iv heard many many complain about not being able to resolve issues between the companies. In the end its mush safer to stay with the majority. Eircom give great broadband at a decent price. The support is great once you get an english speaking rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭SeanW

Don't know why BT has such a bad rep for billing ... never had any problems here.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭boomslang

@seanW

All I can say mate is that you have been lucky. I worked on BT Ireland billing and I got scared to answer the phone sometimes. When that system goes wrong it goes very wrong! There was nothing worse than customers wondering why they hadn't had a bill for a while and telling them they had a massive outstanding bill.
    If you suddenly stop getting bills call them quick!!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

thefox84 wrote: »
    hate to say this but eircom are probably your best option.

Would have to agree and not because Eircom are great but because they seem to be the best of a bad lot, that and the fact they actually own the exchanges. IME Eircom's service is not the worst, look at some of the issues NTL and IBB customers have to contend with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

Perlico's 2mb bundle is €52 a month.

With Eircom myself though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Other threads here suggest that most people are happy enough with UTV. Pings etc may or may not be an issue depending on what type of use of the broadband you want to make. I'd say that Eircom is not worth the extra.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

SeanW wrote: »
    Don't know why BT has such a bad rep for billing ... never had any problems here.

Do a search - BT worked hard for many years to acquire such a well deserved reputation - heaping misery on many in the process. In a properly regulated country they would have had their business suspended until they got their act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Eircom are the most expensive but they definitely are the best. Best pings best speeds, reasonable customer service. The other resellers aren't terrible but they all have their downfalls, BT bad customer service & woeful billing department, Magnet and Digiweb can have bad customer service at times with the blame Eircom excuse often used, they are much better value than Eircom though. I've no personal experience with UTV but I haven't heard amazing things.

So Eircom if you are gamer or need near 100% reliability
    BT Digiweb or Magnet for price IMO :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 daithiboy

Eircom SUCK!!!

I live in a new apartment in Lusk, Co. Dublin, and I applied for a phone line from Eircom about two months ago, with a view to purchasing broadband. I didn't purchase directly from them because I wanted to research prices from different providers. When the phoneline was installed for the charge of €129.99, extortion when you consider we had a phone box installed in the house when we bought it, I decided it would be worth it when we got broadband.
    After being told online that our NEW phone number on our NEW line wasn't suitable for broaband I sent a complaint to Eircom. After much "to-ing" and "fro-ing" I was told that "due to the sensitive nature of DSL, some phonelines may not be suitable for broadband". As an I.T. professional I know that DSL technology isn't sensitive, rather poor installation of lines and/or installation of carrier lines are render DSL useless. They told me that they could do no more as they had no obligation to provide Broadband to the public. I could understand this to SOME extent if I lived in an old house with poor wiring, but this is supposed to be a brand new apartment, constructed less that 2 years ago. What annoys me even more is that two of my neighbours, who live in duplex apartments above ours, have Eircom broadband.
    I have approached wireless providers but their speeds are not sufficient for me to work online. Eircom have made it impossible for me to seek other landline DSL alternatives due to their antipathy towards, not just me, but the Irish consumer. To rub salt in the wound, every time we receive our Eircom bill we're told that we can get broadband for just €15 per month when we bundle it with eircom talktime.
    How can they justify charging me line rental on a line that barely qualifies as a line?? Also, I checked the phone box outside my apartment and it looks like there's a second line. Meanwhile my neighbour, who lives in a duplex, and has broadband with Eircom, has only ONE line. Is this part of Eircom's scam to give people with carrier lines an extra line to use as "High Speed" (read: dialup) internet access??

Comreg shake their pinky at Eircom and Eircom tells ComReg to feck off, we're not going to do what you tell us. So ComReg runs away and says, yeah, Eircom are okay, sure what do people need with Internet anyways? As long as we have a frickin' phone right?

God save us but this government exists solely to keep the fat-cats happy. Somebody PLEASE do something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I think Lusk is a funny village because the exchange is really far from the centre. I think the exchange is that building half way between Lusk and Rush. It's just past the railways station when you are heading from Lusk to Rush. I know a few people in big estates there that have had trouble and I think this might be the reason.

Made you a map cause I've loads of time on my hands (arrow is where I was told the exchange is) Normally exchanges are in middle of towns, but maybe Eircom weren't expecting Lusk village to become bigger! :) Could be wrong of course!

maply4.th.jpg

Advertisement