Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do?

Options
  • 04-01-2008 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a bit confused about what to do.......

My current scenario is this: I have 3 x 750G hdd's in raid 5 (giving me 1.5TB with redundancy) for storage. I'm more than happy with this.

I also have (temporarily) 2 x 200G samsungs in raid 0 for my OS.

I bought a SAS controller card + cable + 146GB, 15K rpm, 2ms access time hdd (sexy!) but.....I subsequently discovered that the controller card is known not to work with my motherboard. X-( It is a great controller though....supports up to 8 SATA or SAS drives or a combination of both and has 256M of cache.

I have the option of buying a 16G SSD for very reasonable money. This will easily hold my OS + other stuff.

So....absorb the cost of a motherboard switch and go SAS?
    Sell the SAS kit and go SSD?
    Something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

You all suck. :P

I'm selling the SAS drive and controller. It'll be on adverts later after I've tested it in a server here in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Had I seen this I would have said swap the motherboard, SSD drives are good, but not SAS good.

BTW, this whole thing sounds very Sassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

krazy_8s wrote: »
    Had I seen this I would have said swap the motherboard, SSD drives are good, but not SAS good.

Noes! What a cat to throw among my pigeons!
    krazy_8s wrote: »
    BTW, this whole thing sounds very Sassy.

:D

Great word.

Advertisement