Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tips for snow driving

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Heard someone yesterday suggest on radio that you should try to use higher gears with low revs for added traction.

Was driving in heavy snow (outside ireland) at the weekend and had heard this before and tried it out, great tip the additional traction is amazing. No hard braking of course too.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

is_that_so wrote: »
    Heard someone yesterday suggest on radio that you should try to use higher gears with low revs for added traction.

The added traction is one benefit.
    The other benefit is if you floor the throttle when in a high gear, there is less chance of wheelspin and losing control - unless you're in a high powered car that will put the power down no matter whar gear you're using.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Also when starting off from standstill on snow at traffic lights or crossroads, do so in 2nd gear rather than first ...and don't try to squeeze into a normal size gap ...leave more room for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

peasant wrote: »
    Also when starting off from standstill on snow at traffic lights or crossroads, do so in 2nd gear rather than first ...and don't try to squeeze into a normal size gap ...leave more room for everyone.

...or, you could lock the diffs, give it loads and use left foot braking to dial out the understeer..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...or, you could lock the diffs, give it loads and use left foot braking to dial out the understeer..........

Indeed you could, then you could get out and call a tow truck to pull you out of the tree when you realise that you didn't have 4 wheel drive! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement