Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is that new 3 network like?

Options
  • 04-01-2008 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Deciding who to go with ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭beezkneez

Tree_Top wrote: »
    Deciding who to go with ?

I have been with their Billpay service for 2 years now - never had a problem.Never had a problem with signal or their customer service (have not had to use this much). Highly recommend them. Was with vodafone for years and had no end of problems with them.
    Also 3 have a good choice of phones and even though i am not on one of their high tariffs i still can upgrade my phone every year.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Was with Three Pay from November 2005 - November 2006, I honestly can't fault there network coverage.

I could get full 3G signal coverage in area's around Waterford/Kilkenny where people with Meteor, O2 and Vodafone could barely get a standard GSM signal.

I left Three because I didn't want to be on billpay anymore and Three at the time didn't have very attractive pay as you go plans at the time, had awful problems unlocking my phone when I did but managed it in the end...covered it here - http://www.cabaal.org/log/2006/11/threes-unlocking-joke-pt-i.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tree_Top

Its just my a couple of my mates had problems with them with coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i have been with them for around 3 years and i have never had a problem with coverage or services but their customer service is terrible. If you;re phone gets robbed you cen get a new one, sounds great except it took me about a month from telling them to getting my new one and the charged me for the month and wouldnt reimburse me for the credit i used along the way (mostly ringing them) - took them three days to turn on the phone on the newtrok once i got it.

also i have rung them at least 3 times to make sure i am on the tariff i want to be and I am still not on it. but as long as you never have to speak to them its all good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

their coverage is quite good as they are using other networks for areas not covered by three but thats where the good times end!

their customer relations/care is awful and if you ever have any problem dont be expecting them to be able to fix anything!

it can be hard enough understanding anyone whose 1st language is not your own, but when you have a problem with a phone that has maybe cost you hundreds of euros you expect and NEED to be understood and listened to by customer care!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Cabaal wrote: »
    I could get full 3G signal coverage in area's around Waterford/Kilkenny where people with Meteor, O2 and Vodafone could barely get a standard GSM signal.

Now that's interesting since Three don't have a network (or just a bare bones one). They use other networks to provide their service. I think they mostly use the O2 network layer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭hopalong_ie

With them three years also, like the others its a good network and good phones, got 10% off my monthly bill after two years so happy days, as for customer support it seems to split into a Scottish call centre, they have the power to help and an Indian one who will insist on finishing reading their scripted answer and then tell you to call again the next day (when the scots are there), Extremely annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Was with Three Pay from November 2005 - November 2006, I honestly can't fault there network coverage.

thats odd as anytime i head south as soon as i hit kilkenny the signal on Three starts to break up and it becomes more unusable the closer i get to waterford, waterford city has coverage but i have never had 3g coverage there!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Hop over to the mobiles forum. 3 offer very good value but the worst customer care in the game. Its a strategic choice.

Also try doing a search for "3 broadband" here on boards before you make a choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭iceman777

My contract is up in Arpil and I will be ditching them then. I mainly use my phone in these areas so coverage is definitely an issue as it is either cities or towns I am in.
    1. Limerick
    2. Midlands
    3. Dublin
    4. Galway

The following are the problems I have had:
    1. I get passed to 4 different people if I ever ring their customer service
    2. When I ring them to complain about the service they do not understand what I am talking about. The best service I got from them is them telling me "turn your phone off and on". This works for about 24 hours and then I am back to square one.
    3. 20% of the time, I cannot make or receive calls
    4. 10% of the time, I cannot send text messages
    5. It takes about 20-30 seconds to connect to calls
    6. I know of 3 other people on 3 that have the exact same problems I have
    7. Try making a 3 to 3 call and see what happens. I rest my case on this.

They may be cheaper in price, but they are a terrible network and in my opinion, not worth the hassle. I would recommend any of the other networks apart from them.

I work in telecoms so I know something about how calls are made and I do not consider 3 fit to call themselves a network.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Paulw wrote: »
    Now that's interesting since Three don't have a network (or just a bare bones one). They use other networks to provide their service. I think they mostly use the O2 network layer.

Thats incorrect, Three do operate there own cell sites for 3G, they just use Vodafones for backup GSM when there is no 3G coverage,
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    thats odd as anytime i head south as soon as i hit kilkenny the signal on Three starts to break up and it becomes more unusable the closer i get to waterford, waterford city has coverage but i have never had 3g coverage there!

Say what you want but I lived in Waterford for the year I used Three and coverage was just fine in Waterford City, honestly couldn't fault it, coverage on the way to Kilkenny could be patchy but the same is for the other networks (going up by train), coverage in Kilkenny was fine.

Anyone else I know in Waterford prior to me getting my Three phone and after also found coverage in Waterford pretty good,

In saying all this I've since moved to Meteor as the phone a friend for free and free meteor txts is bloody handy...although coverage sucks out in the Dunmore road area of Waterford :(

When I used Three there support was based out of Glasgow but around the time I changed and Three started offering PAYG they were closing down Glasgow and shipping the service to India, I did deal with India afterwards when it came to getting charges refunded and they were loads of fun.

If I was the op I'd check with people in his/her area for how good coverage is with different networks and then use something like callcosts.ie and lots of research when it comes to running costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Paulw wrote: »

they have 80% coverage by population and the rest is piggy backed on vodafone.

i was with 3 for two years. i had the same problems getting my phone unlocked that cabaal did but that problem doesn't exist anymore. before they calimed they couldn't unlock them. now they just refuse to until you're out of contract. if you want the code early you have to end your contract. also, to get the code you have to pay €25.

i'll just reiterate what people are saying. their customer care is absolutely dire. they read from a script which has the wrong answers and refuse to listen to you when you say you've already done the same basic troubleshooting steps 100 times because the problem you've been having has been ongoing for four months and you've had to phone every single day because all they ever tell you to do is wait 24 hours[/rant]

their coverage has always been fine for me except it can get a bit ropey indoors because 3g signals don't penetrate as far as 2g ones

they have some good call plans and the best data plans (when they work). if you can put up with any problems taking months to solve (or never getting solved), then join them

I think in sort....if it works, it works good and the plans are decent value...if it breaks and the issue is anyway complex...god help you. :D

Although from my experience this can be applied to almost any company or service :p

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

Well their mobile broadband is sh*t for that reason alone I'd keep away.

Check out some of the threads here. Not alot of people are happy with their 3 service

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=259

ah yeah but there mobile setup and there phone offerings are very different service wise,

Eircoms landline offering is ****e and overpriced but Meteor (also Eircom) are perfectly fine (so far). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

i have consistant unexplained problems with sending text messages on 3. coverage can vary from dire to amazing. customer care is dire unless your an indian! their 3g service is pretty good though and tariffs are very reasonable(5c messages to any network, text,video and picture). as you can tell, a mixed bag for me! im Pay as you go living in Bantry/Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

ah yeah but there mobile setup and there phone offerings are very different service wise,

Eircoms landline offering is ****e and overpriced but Meteor (also Eircom) are perfectly fine (so far). :)

But Meteor were already fine before they were bought by eircon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I'm only with them 2 weeks (got a pay as you go Skypephone) and I think they are good, better than o2! I've not even used half of the ten euro initial credit that came with the phone so far, they are really good value.

Had to ring customer services to activate the internet on my phone and the Indian lady I spoke to was pleasant and sorted everything out.

Advertisement