Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its Snowing!!!

Options
  • 04-01-2008 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Love that feeling when you open the curtains in the morning and the world is white outside, makes me feel like a kid again!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Yep and then it turns to mush and the roads get slippy and you freeze as soon as you walk outside the door! :(

Sorry, I'm not a big fan of snow. Was pretty heavy for a good while though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

dont mind it for a day or two, its just when it turns to slush or ice i dont like it, and you have to get on with your life, ie, trying to get to work in it

gives more showers for later today, tonight and tomorrow, not sure if rain though, might wash it away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Its lovely to look at. Too bad no gritters decided to grit the N17 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I'd say the rain is on its way bucketing down here in dublin after snow yesterday/today.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If only I was ten again. It would be a lot more enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

The roads were very bad this morning!
    I was at a roundabout and wanted to go right around it but the car decided to take the second exit!
    Thought I was a goner!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Gillie wrote: »
    I was at a roundabout and wanted to go right around it but the car decided to take the second exit!
    Thought I was a goner!

I told you buying Herbie was a bad idea!

....and like a cheap hooker the snow disappears without a trace

Still a lot of it where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

I miss the snow :( It was lovely here. I dropped the other half to work this morning and went for a wander in town, and by the time I got home 2 inches had fallen (about an hour and a half) and I barely got the car up the driveway! Eeep!

It was so nice to walk around in it though, and laugh at all the people who thought they could wear normal amounts of clothes today and still be warm :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

....and like a cheap hooker the snow disappears without a trace

Sorry but that is such a bad image. Surely, a hooker is only as cheap as the punter thats buying them and possibly the punter is cheaper.
    Dont you think "The dead" by Joyce, or its rendition on film is a more universal image in this New year to depict snow in. Its temporary, beauiful, it unites us . and we all loose ourselves in it universally.Dont we? (paddy where are you?!)

And then of cuurse theres always Dan Fogelberg!

Dan Fogelberg RIP.
    That is my favorite New Years song ever - classic gold and timeless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

tuppence wrote: »
    Sorry but that is such a bad image. Surely, a hooker is only as cheap as the punter thats buying them and possibly the punter is cheaper.
    Dont you think "The dead" by Joyce, or its rendition on film is a more universal image in this New year to depict snow in. Its temporary, beauiful, it unites us . and we all loose ourselves in it universally.Dont we? (paddy where are you?!)

And then of cuurse theres always Dan Fogelberg!
    fozzle wrote: »
    I miss the snow :( It was lovely here. I dropped the other half to work this morning and went for a wander in town, and by the time I got home 2 inches had fallen (about an hour and a half) and I barely got the car up the driveway! Eeep!

It was so nice to walk around in it though, and laugh at all the people who thought they could wear normal amounts of clothes today and still be warm :D

Seriously guys, snow is for the young at heart. I personally love snow for the kid in me, and my daughter had her first experience of snow yesterday and loved it, lots of wow's

nanook wrote: »
    Seriously guys, snow is for the young at heart. I personally love snow for the kid in me, and my daughter had her first experience of snow yesterday and loved it, lots of wow's

Same here. i bought a toboggan/sleigh in a boot sale three years ago and it finally got an outing, some good photos and memories! May have to go back in the cupboard for another three but heck, was worth it.

tuppence wrote: »
    Same here. i bought a toboggan/sleigh in a boot sale three years ago and it finally got an outing, some good photos and memories! May have to go back in the cupboard for another three but heck, was worth it.

gis a go, you have just brought back memories of getting on old coal bag and putting a thing piece of plywood into it and going mental down the nearest snow covered hill. Ahhh the memories

gis a go, you have just brought back memories of getting on old coal bag and putting a thing piece of plywood into it and going mental down the nearest snow covered hill. Ahhh the memories

I hope you were safer then what the lads used to do down the hill in Collooney. :eek:

christ no, the only safety features we had was if your mother was watching, if she was watching then you had manner's if not it was surfing time.

Still smiling thinking about it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The best thing was a big sheet of wood that was polished on one side. We could nearly break the sound barrier on one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

i was working when it was snowing..

'Twas hell.

Watching people playing in the snow, while I couldn't do a thing..:(:(

Then at lunch it was gone. *Sigh*

Oh btw,
    Fertilizer Bags ftw;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

used to use those boards simialar that are used for things like house for sale or election candidate signs (disused ones obvuiosly), could get some speed on them, would send you flying of it though if you hit a rut or a stone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

well i didnt expect that :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Argh! Why didn't I drive home from Dublin last night? Now I've stuff to do here all day, and I'm going to miss the snow! :(

Quite a bit here, I managed to get out a take a few photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

magnumlady wrote: »
    Quite a bit here, I managed to get out a take a few photos.
    Well, that makes the auld "pics or it didn't happen" bit handy. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Originally Posted by Gillie
    I told you buying Herbie was a bad idea!

I burst out laughing when I read that, deadly.

I love snow myself, it's so rare that we get it and it actually sticks. Benbulban always looks class too when it's covered in snow although it's covered by cloud today so we can't see it.

A scatter of us went up the Horse shoe glen in the snow a few years ago on a New years day. Talk about a hairy one. We were lucky to get down. Probably the thing you shoudnt do (like going to see the breakers in Strandhill when theres a gale blowing), but its so beautiful. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

You've all got it wrong..

.. a baking tray was the sled of choice in my day!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Baking tray?

We had to make do with an empty fertiliser bag. :D

And if we were lucky, it had some straw in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, and then afterwards you can make a nice big tray of Oven Chips. Nyum-nyum!

Went outside there to grab a bar of chocolate for my coffee break and sun was shining and it was very warm. Seems a bit duller now though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Oven chips & chocolate bars = very BAD. Well, the snows definitely gone now - tis a lovely day out!

Advertisement