Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to see on Broadway

Options
  • 04-01-2008 1:08pm
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm Off to new york at the end of January for 8 days and Want to go see something on Broadway while i'm there.

Whats worth seeing? I heard good things about wicked, but never got to see it when i was in london.

Anything else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 queencakes

I am not into musicals at all but went to see Phantom of the Opera in Broadway last December.
    It was amazing, a real spectacle and was the highlight of our week in New York.
    It isn't the longest running show on Broadway for no reason.

That would be my recommendation but as I have only been once others might be better informed than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Are the stage hands back? They were on strike over christmas - so no shows.
    Seen Chicago a few months ago - recommend it.

Do however get your tickets at TKTS which is currently located behing the marriott on time square - you will get them 33% 50% 75% the price.
    The queues can be massive but move incredibly fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

skip the queues at TKTS and log on to www.broadwaybox.com and pre-book discounted tickets. I almost never pay full price in NYC!!

Definitely go see Wicked, I've seen it 6 times and still love it!

My top 5 in NYC at the moment
    1. Wicked
    2. Spring Awakening
    3. Avenue Q
    4. The Colour Purple
    5. Sunday in the Park with George (opens at the end of the month but was amazing in London and same cast AFAIK)

You may not get discounted tickets for Wicked but don't skimp, get the most expensive tickets you can afford, the closer you are the better.

Also worth considering is the Behing the Emerald Curtain Wicked tour. Only Saturday mornings I think in the Wicked theatre, but see the show and then do this, it's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

Avenue Q all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Peterdmc

Its gotta be the Phantom Of the OPera, you'll love it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rolan

"Wicked" is always a safe bet. Stephanie J. Block is currently playing Elphaba on Broadway (after performing the role in the US tour, so she knows the part inside out). After the Wicked tour, she played the title role in the 'doomed' The Pirate Queen - John McColgan and Moya Doherty's Broadway flop of last year, before returning to Wicked.

If you're travelling to New York, it might be worth seeing shows that aren't playing in the West End ("Wicked" -with an excellent cast-, "Avenue Q", "Hairspray", "Spamalot" all have good London productions).

Some of the new shows that opened last year on Broadway that have been quite successful are:

"Legally Blonde" - with Laura Bell Bundy (orginated the part of Amber Von Tussle in "Hairspray") as Elle Woods. Spoiler Alert: The opening number as broadcast on MTV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcmCMPLwfQ8 ) to give you a taste of the show.

Also a surprise success on broadway is "Xanadu" (that terrible 80s film with Oliva Newton-John, but great songs), which has Kerry Butler in it (orginated the part of Penny Pingleton in "Hairspray"). The new tv ad for the musical can be found on http://www.broadway.com/gen/General.aspx?ci=559405 and a news report http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gy5yX6vmxE . Word on the street is that it rips the pi** out of the movie, and the 80s [but with more success than "The Wedding Singer" did]. It's 90 mins long with no interval.

Disney also recently opened "The Little Mermaid", which is apparently the average Disney production. Big colours, big sets, big wigs - unlike the very subtle, and quite beautiful, "The Lion King".

There's my two cents. Enjoy whatever you go see!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Rent ftw along with Wicked. It's "Rent remixed" in London which is meant to be utter muck, so I'd avoid.

Also, check out some off broadway, or off off broadway shows. We saw the Evil Dead-The Musical there, and it was hilarious. the front few rows get given plastic macs to avoid the torrents of fake blood that gets spewed on them. Real good craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Wholeheartly agree about the Evil Dead.
    Dont go see Spamalot it's dire

The Lion King, Phantom of the Opera, and Wicked are absolute musts

Have to disagree a little with Rolan - if you're going to Avenue Q see it in the States. They made stupid, senseless changes to it for London.

And while I'm disagreeing, Starn I enjoyed Spamalot and thought Lion King was awful!

Each to their own I guess. I wouldn't waste a NY trip and see Phantom though, the London production is excellent. Wicked however is worth seeing in both locations as it's a very different experience.

I don't think top dollar was worth it for Les Mis in NYC, Fontine is the same chick that played Mimi in the original recording of Rent, and dear god I was just waiting for her to die so I wouldn't have to suffer her raspy nailfile of a voice scratching out the songs that are meant for a beautiful clear voice. Horribly miscast. And I've seen CT play Valjean twice, yer man was good but he didn't measure up!

And I'd vote for Wicked in London just for the beauty of the theatre. It's gorgeous.

• Advertisement

oh wet-paint I'm with you 100% on that Fantine. I cheered inside when she died!! Daphne Rubin Vega was probably a great Mimi but she sucked as Fantine. Was replaced by Lea Salonga the week after we saw it, not sure who's in the role now but it shouldn't be DRV.

I love Wicked, have seen it 6 times. NY, Chicago, LA and 3 times in London. The current London cast is possibly the best I've seen, though my first visit to the show in NYC will always be special!

Aye, I agree with you about the London Line up, I waws just blown away by Diane Pilkington, she was just mesmerising. It's the best show I've ever seen, but I'd say Rent means more to me, I've grown up listening to the soundtrack and it took me nearly ten years to get over to see it on Broadway. Meant a lot to me, but Wicked's a better show. Going back at the end of February. Flying over on the morning Ryanair flight on a wednesday, catching a matinee and evening show, stay up all night, bring no bags, book no hostel, and get the mornign flight back again. Can't wait.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

well, went to see wicked last night, wow! it was amazing. was totally worth it.
    tickets cost 120 dollars, but we were 3 rows from the front, and saw everything.

interesting twist at the end.
    off to see the lion king on friday night,

i'm on my eee pc atm, but will do a full review when i get back

Glad you liked it Agent Smith - stunning show! And great seats too.

Enjoy Lion King on Friday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Only saw Spamalot when I was there and thought it was amazing. If you love the Monty Phyton movies you cant go far wrong with Spamalot!!

I hated the Monthy Python movies and still loved Spamalot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

I'm just back from NY, And I went to see Rent and Hairspray. Both very different, but both brilliant! I'd recommend Rent, as it's ending soon, and Hairspray for a laugh

Advertisement