Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy tactics on PSP

Options
  • 04-01-2008 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Just wondering has anybody on here played this game. I've read some recent reviews and it got 10/10 by some but some say the learning curve is quiet steep. I've never played any of the final fantasy games on any platform and now want to get in on the action so should I give FF tactics a try or else pick up final fantasy XII for the PS2. Which would be a better starting point for me ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Final Fantasy Tactics is a stone cold classic. However it's a very tough game so might not be a good starting point.

I'd avoid FFXII, it's completely different from the other FF games since the FF team left before the game was even made. It's also not very good and really rather boring. The best place to start from would be FFX which an utterly fantastic game and should be easy to find and cheap (avoid FFX-2 like the plague). I recommend you get FF tactics on the PSP as well since it's such a good game ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Made the mistake of buying FF: Tactics before Christmas... not that its a bad game, but my brother got it for me as a Christmas present!

Very good game, play it on the way to and from work mostly.

FF: Tactics > FF XII

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i posted a great bargain on game bargain alert from play.com at Xmas :)

greatest game released by square since ages(yes,i mean square,not square enix),probably the best 'remake' game from them ever, worth every penny!

but for OP,if ya haven't try FF series before,choosing among these 2 games,i of course recommend FFTactics for every aspects,but bear in mind that it is a strategy Role Playing Game,different from the standard RPG type of FF series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

seraphimvc wrote: »
    greatest game released by square since ages(yes,i mean square,not square enix),probably the best 'remake' game from them ever, worth every penny!

Pity thats it's actually just a port of a game thats over ten years old. The only decent game square have made in the last 5 years has been Front Mission 5 which they saw fit to not give a western release. Anything else decent has been only published by square enix and has come from Tri-Ace and Level 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Dregon

Final Fantasy Tactics is well worth buying, it's the best PSP game I've gotten in a long time. It does start off difficult, but I found it a lot easier once you spend a couple of minutes reading over some of the game's many tutorials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pity thats it's actually just a port of a game thats over ten years old. The only decent game square have made in the last 5 years has been Front Mission 5 which they saw fit to not give a western release. Anything else decent has been only published by square enix and has come from Tri-Ace and Level 5.

lol i never a fan of front mission but did it(5th game) not release in here?silly decision!haven't notice Tri-ace mush,but level 5 is definitely a new star in game industry,seems lots of CG work from them on games...that's why i say SE lost their advantage nowadays....

btw,the 'remakes' from SE seems getting foolishly...although they are some good remake(or should i say rerelease on another newer platform),but SE has no more great new game created...eg...recently i played the FF7:Crisis Core...please dont let me start it...disgusting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

ff tactics? what is it? it is just another ff game but just on the psp, i have to say i like ff XII loved that the fights were incorperated into the game play like wihtout breaking into seperate battles, if you get me lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FLOODY777

Firstly, big thanks to RetrOgamer, Noodler etc. for the recent commentary on this game.

I completed it a few weeks ago...60 hours (no sidequests). It has really cemented my love for JRPGs/SJRPGs. This game is a masterpiece.

It has it's difficulty spikes like The Gallows...but I loved the challenge. Strangely, I had to use 'strategy'!

I was playing the PSP Essentials version...and hardly noticed any slowdown at all. Perhaps it has been tweaked.

To anyone who loves a mature plot with gameplay par excellence.........I suggest giving FFT a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I am repeating some stuff I said in another forum but by the end I thought it was a bit of a slog.

I had kind of lost what was going on story wise and there were way too many missions (and I, liek you, didn't really do any side missions).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've had to start again from scratch and it has helped me understand the story better. It's a shame but the fact it's complex lends it to multiple playthroughs. From what I know, Chapter 4 is the start of the sidequests so I can't really comment on that.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I've had to start again from scratch and it has helped me understand the story better. It's a shame but the fact it's complex lends it to multiple playthroughs. From what I know, Chapter 4 is the start of the sidequests so I can't really comment on that.

Is it on the psn store?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It is. I had to search a bit to find it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FLOODY777

noodler wrote: »
    I am repeating some stuff I said in another forum but by the end I thought it was a bit of a slog.

I had kind of lost what was going on story wise and there were way too many missions (and I, liek you, didn't really do any side missions).

I found Chapter 4 a breeze...especially when a certain powerful character joined the party and I equipped him and others with the Angel Ring!

Very sorry to read about the recent theft...
    The PSP version has a new/better translation over the original too...which I understand makes the story easier to follow. I didn't play the game when it first came out...but I can only imagine how complex (and probably nonsensical) that must have seemed!!! :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

It is. I had to search a bit to find it.

I must have a look for it and give it a go

FLOODY777 wrote: »
    The PSP version has a new/better translation over the original too...which I understand makes the story easier to follow. I didn't play the game when it first came out...but I can only imagine how complex (and probably nonsensical) that must have seemed!!! :eek:

I can attest that the localisation was an absolute joke for the first release. It made FFVII seem like a Nintendo Treehouse localisation.

FLOODY777 wrote: »

Thanks!

I'm a big fan of Shakespearean English so Alexander O. Smith's translations always go down well with me. One advantage of starting over is having a clue as to what is going on. Just beat that wretched tower fight after
    Belias
    . I've no idea how anyone would go about doing that without some sort of guide.

Advertisement