Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obama - chances he'll be assassinated?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Welcome to American Media. Just like all the news stations and the vast majority of print media, they run 'Op-Ed' sections/segments where political favouritism is blatant. Though I was amused by the Sharpton snippet and the clip from Comedy Channel.

My local major newspaper, San Francisco Chronicle, is rather biased itself. I don't think I'd see "Bertie Death Watch: Countdown!" written by a columnist in the Irish Times. (Obviously SF's was "Bush"). I haven't seen an official endorsement yet, but given that they ran a front-page headline of "Is Obama really black?" last year, I'm inclined to think they support Clinton.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

If Bush can get 2 terms then any candidate with the cash and backing can make it. Reagan got in on what, his acting resume? Fox news is just scared that a black candidate might be president so it resorts to racism and xenophobia.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Reagan got in on what, his acting resume

Same route that Arnie took: He became a very popular governor of one of the largest and most influential states.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=559kCaH1Shw

Even worse.

Absolutely ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Should much be read into this?

'However the nominating campaigns end up, some Republicans were already fretting over Iowa caucus returns that showed 239,000 Democrats turned out and only about 116,000 Republicans.'
    Source

It's been reported a number of times.

It is likely just temporary and the Republicans will probably unite once they have their nominee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

The-Rigger wrote: »
    It is likely just temporary and the Republicans will probably unite once they have their nominee.

And if that happens, Mike Bloomberg sail in up the inside and overtake everyone as a third party candidate.

DMC wrote: »
    And if that happens, Mike Bloomberg sail in up the inside and overtake everyone as a third party candidate.

Mike has to decide if he is a Democrat or a Republican. :rolleyes::p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

snyper wrote: »
    this 9is not far from possability.. at all..

Personally, i think he hes likely to gey whacked for been a democrat alone.

If he done for because hes black, and the product of a mixed race.. it would be a real shame.

So it's grand if he gets whacked for being a Democrat??
    Mike has to decide if he is a Democrat or a Republican

Mike has enough money to run for president without party support. He just might come unstuck when it comes to the electoral colleges voting.

Obama will be assassinated, politically, the same as any other democratic presidential nominee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

jeez another thread on this, edwards is talking more left then obama, he talks about the working class and taking on corporate america, I think he's more like the kennedies then obama, will he be assasinated?

• Advertisement

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Should much be read into this?

'However the nominating campaigns end up, some Republicans were already fretting over Iowa caucus returns that showed 239,000 Democrats turned out and only about 116,000 Republicans.'
    Source

It's been reported a number of times.

Not necessarily. The Democratic Party attracted more independents (You can register for a party on the day in Iowa in order to vote in the primary) than the Republican party, indicating that as a group the selection of Democratic candidates appealed to more middle-of-the-road voters than the Republican selection.

This is not necessarily going to apply during the November elections, because no longer is a 'selection of candidates' on offer. You're down to one. For example, there is a particular Democratic candidate who I think is better than both all the other Ds and all of the Rs. I might prefer all the other R candidates over the rest of the D candidates though. (I don't, but it's an extreme for the example). I shall be voting for said D candidate in the Primary. However, should this candidate fail to receive the nomination, I may decide that the D Candidate who was selected is worse than the R nominee, and flip back over.

To put it more graphically, let's say my order of preference of all the candidates is "D1, R1, D2, R2, D3, R3, D4, R4, D5, R5 etc." I would vote in the D primary in the hope that D1 would secure the nomination. If it happened, then D1 would get my vote in the Presidential. However, if D3 actually won the nomination, and the R nominee is R1 or R2, well, I don't care if I voted D in the Primary, I'm crossing the line.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

of course, the majority of those independants, and first-time caucus-goers in Iowa went for Obama. if he were to get the nod, it seems that he would be able to sway far more independants to his side, as well as an increased turn-out for the democrat candidate overall.
    Iraq is obviously something that, while not a huge factor in the primaries, could sway alot of independants in the general.

Hillary on the other hand, I can't see holding many of the independants or first-time voters who voted Democrat in Iowa.

the polls in X Democrat vs. Y Republican seem to show this, Obama comes out on top in almost every single poll against any Republican (McCain the only one giving him a close run).

Hillary on the other hand was very close against some Republicans, and lost to Guiliani anyway, and i think McCain too.

i can't see independants and first-time voters swinging for Hillary in the general in the same numbers as they did for Obama in Iowa.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Is the current White House very "pragmatic" though?

But then I suppose unless you are high above the top quartile of earners or are running/own lots of stock in a war/security/"Iraqi reconstruction contractor" company gorging at the overflowing government trough the Bush Whitehouse has not been so successful either...:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

i think a lot of people are so excited at the prospect of america having its 1st black president that they have not really thought deeply about what exactly obama has to offer

having watched him this past yr or so , while he is charismatic and likable , i think hes pretty short on substance , a bit of an empty vessel

i hope hillary wins but if a republican does win , then i would like to see john mc cain win , i think mc cain is a decent man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Could we please have a thread on general discussion of obama rather than the chances that someone is going to murder him. It does seem rather morbid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Feel free to create one Jack Sheehan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Ummm I hate to break it to you but Obama is hardly a political "outsider". He will never be assassinated as he's quite comfy with the political elite. He might not take money from lobbyists but he sure as hell says things they like to hear. He's quite pleasing to every powerful lobby in America...Israel, military.etc etc
    John Edwards is also telling pleasing tales.
    I'm sometimes very surprised how people over here don't seem to realize this. You have a fairly tenacious media over here, unlike America, yet seem to think status quo candidates are somehow going to revolutionize American foreign/domestic policy for the better.
    The only people that are going to do that aren't mentioned often...IE Kucinich, Paul, Nader
    It doesn't matter if Hillary/Obama/Edwards get in things in Iraq and Afghanistan are pretty much going to stay the same. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Iran is still attacked with the Democrats running things (that's assuming they win, which still isn't written in stone).

sovtek wrote: »
    Ummm I hate to break it to you but Obama is hardly a political "outsider". He will never be assassinated as he's quite comfy with the political elite. He might not take money from lobbyists but he sure as hell says things they like to hear. He's quite pleasing to every powerful lobby in America...Israel, military.etc etc
    John Edwards is also telling pleasing tales.
    I'm sometimes very surprised how people over here don't seem to realize this. You have a fairly tenacious media over here, unlike America, yet seem to think status quo candidates are somehow going to revolutionize American foreign/domestic policy for the better.
    The only people that are going to do that aren't mentioned often...IE Kucinich, Paul, Nader
    It doesn't matter if Hillary/Obama/Edwards get in things in Iraq and Afghanistan are pretty much going to stay the same. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Iran is still attacked with the Democrats running things (that's assuming they win, which still isn't written in stone).

spot on

hillary is certainly no foreign policy dove

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Ekancone

Obama reminds me of Bobby Kennedy a bit, and we all know what happened to him. So yeah, he will be assassinated. :D

Obama reminds me of Bobby Kennedy a bit, and we all know what happened to him. So yeah, he will be assassinated. :D

obama is no bobby kennedy

hes a lightweight albeit a likeable one

• Advertisement

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    obama is no bobby kennedy

hes a lightweight albeit a likeable one

Agreed, but i did say a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SteveS

sovtek wrote: »

This is very true, though I would like to see proof that he hasn't met with lobbyists or has been as hands off as he wold like people to believe. Most candidates say they don't listen to lobbyists, but I think that is mostly BS. I have two friends that work as lobbyists and they are plenty busy.
    Reagan got in on what, his acting resume?

I was only 10 when he got elected, but I recall that he may have gotten some boost from being governor of California from 1967 to 1975.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=559kCaH1Shw

Even worse.

Absolutely ridiculous

Yeah, that was bad, but that was a Fox affiliate, not Fox News. There is a big difference. Local affiliates are not run by national network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Ok now he has the Kennedy Clan behind him and is being compared to Robert and JFK.... :eek:

davej

Hate to say i told ya so!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Whoever thought Edwards was actually going to win at the start of this thread should be assassinated :D

Is it just me, or would you ordinarily think that at an Obama campaign office, the picture of Obama should be bigger than the picture of Che Guevara?

The reporter doesn't comment on it, but look at the back wall about 15 seconds in.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=5700252&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Once someone is running for president they are given full secret service protection. Assasination of a runner is taken very seriously. So I doubt it is possible.

Character assasination is fair game though: “I certainly don’t know what he believes in. The only foreign policy thing I remember he said was he’s going to attack Pakistan and embrace Ahmadinejad.” - George Bush.
    http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/02/11/obama-slams-bush-after-bush-misstates-his-foreign-policy-positions/

Is it just me, or would you ordinarily think that at an Obama campaign office, the picture of Obama should be bigger than the picture of Che Guevara?

As character slurs go that is pretty tame. I mean Fox news have already claimed his middle name is "Osama", that he went to a "Madrassa". Trying to tie him to Che (and then to Castro) is the next logical step, despite that not being his office.

If you actually watch the link, it's a very neutral piece. Don't just go off the URL.

NTM

• Advertisement

If you actually watch the link, it's a very neutral piece. Don't just go off the URL.

NTM

I watched it and agree. However I am sure other anti-(Obamas/democrats) are quoting the flag as proof that he likes to shag Castro.

Advertisement