Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My furst pee see (build)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Change gpu for either a 512mb 8800gt or gts depending on how much your willing to spend

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

corblimey wrote: »
    I made the following shopping list about 6 months ago, just took a look to make sure that everything was still in stock at komplett and made a few amendments.

D-Link DFE-530TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

Just on the graphics card, that's a 320mb, would I be better off with a 640mb? The machine is going to be purely for gaming, internet and watching movies. Is it future proofed enough?

Why the extra network card? And both the video cards mentioned are replaced already. You should look for the 8800GT, or the 8800GTS second edition, variously called SSC, G92, or just 512MB edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Change gpu for either a 512mb 8800gt or gts depending on how much your willing to spend

Sorry for being a noob, but what's a gpu? If it's the graphics card, then the one I'm linking to is not enough? Can you recommend a replacement from komplett? (http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=327331) Why 512? Why not go straight to 640? (http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=331944)
    Spear wrote: »
    Why the extra network card? And both the video cards mentioned are replaced already. You should look for the 8800GT, or the 8800GTS second edition, variously called SSC, G92, or just 512MB edition.

Network card: Not sure. I was just going through the list of what komplett supply - surely I'll need a n/c to hook up my broadband connection? Why "extra" - is it already included in something else I bought?

Is your second point the same as PogMoThoin's?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

corblimey wrote: »
    Sorry for being a noob, but what's a gpu? If it's the graphics card, then the one I'm linking to is not enough? Can you recommend a replacement from komplett? (http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=327331) Why 512? Why not go straight to 640? (http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=331944)

Network card: Not sure. I was just going through the list of what komplett supply - surely I'll need a n/c to hook up my broadband connection? Why "extra" - is it already included in something else I bought?

Is your second point the same as PogMoThoin's?

The motherboard already has a gigabit adapter. Any my second point was the same as Pog Mo Thoins, but expanding on the alternate names the same cards use.

GPU......yes the graphics card

The 512mb 8800gt is a cheaper gpu than the old 640mb 8800gts & performs better even tho it has less memory. The newer version of the 8800gts is now 512mb & is slightly better than the 8800gt, so both 320mb & 640mb gts's would be a bad choice.

Your board will come with a network card, no need for another.

• Advertisement

So something mar ea?

Or save yerself 50e & get this one. Identical to the one you picked only this ones not pre-overclocked, just overclock it yourself, they are identical cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Extra 30 beans and it's in stock. The EVGA cards have "been expected" since the release 2 months ago...

Right, had some minor catastrophes after new year but I'm back on track with this and want to order within the next week or so. I just have 2 more questions:

1. This rig is looking to cost me around a grand. For that sort of price, what sort of machine am I getting? Would it be considered mid range, high end, what?

2. I plan on buying a second smaller h/d for backup purposes (one of my catastrophes was the explosion of my backup h/d, so I'm more concerned than ever with redundancy) - does the case I'm looking at allow for extra h/d to be hooked up (one primary, one slave)? More than 2 h/d's?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

That motherboard has 8 SATA ports. You already have one SATA hard drive on that list (I'd recommend you change the DVD drive to SATA also)

That will leave you with 6 sata ports to add hard-drives or whatever as you wish

Most cases allow for 4-5 hard drives

• Advertisement
Advertisement