Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat

Options
  • 04-01-2008 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭

Anybody else read any of Oliver Sacks books?

Kinda stranger-than-fiction stuff - he's a neurologist who writes about various perceptual and physiological deficiencies his patients have/have had - for example people who cannot perceive motion, or cannot hear music. Reading Musicophilia at the mo, fascinating stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've only read The Man Who... which I really liked. I want to get Musicophilia, what do you think of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

It's great, it's a hard one to put down. If you are really into your music you'll enjoy it as you'll probably learn a bit more about the way you perceive music yourself.

One weird thing though, Oliver Sacks appears to be obsessed with Chopin. He mentions him every second page basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I loved the man who... and I still dip into it every now and then. I should get around to musicophilia soon enough.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

His autobiog is really good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I'm reading An Anthropologist on Mars atm, and I also have The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat on my shelf.

A lot of the stuff I've read about before, but some of it like about the guy with temporal lobe epilepsy is really quite astonishing and v interesting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement