Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW GTI Mark V

Options
  • 04-01-2008 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Am nearly set to buy an 05/06 GTI DSG in March but wanted to get some opinions on whether I should wait until the new Mark VI is out? I'd be worried about the Mark V depreciating once the new version is launched. Should I wait until after the launch to buy? Anyone have any ideas of what kind of mark down I could expect on the Mark V?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

You'll be waiting.... the next generation GTI won't appear until late this year at the very earliest! Probably even later in fact. There is no definite launch date for the MKVI Golf as yet... all I've seen thus far are some ropey looking "spy-shots".
    Also, the "hot" versions tend not to be launched initially... e.g. the MKV Golf came out in early 2004, but it was a almost a year again before the GTI appeared, the R32 even later still.
    So, I wouldn't particularly worry about depreciation or whatever just yet, esp since you are looking at 2-3 year old ones anyway. Expect to pay 23-25k for a '05 and 26-28k for a '06. Roughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Am nearly set to buy an 05/06 GTI DSG in March but wanted to get some opinions on whether I should wait until the new Mark VI is out? I'd be worried about the Mark V depreciating once the new version is launched. Should I wait until after the launch to buy? Anyone have any ideas of what kind of mark down I could expect on the Mark V?

I'm not a VAG fan but by all means the MKV GTi is a well balanced car especially with the DSG box. It shows what VW can do when they put their minds to it.

To be honest all cars depreciate so I would not worry about that too much, just enjoy the car itself. Saying that the MkV GTi holds it's value very well and demand is strong for them second hand.

Also generally the next generation of GTi is usually launched about 12 months after the bog standard Golfs hit the road so you could be looking at 2010 before you see the MkVI GTi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'm not a VAG fan but by all means the MKV GTi is a well balanced car especially with the DSG box. It shows what VW can do when they put their minds to it.

To be honest all cars depreciate so I would not worry about that too much, just enjoy the car itself. Saying that the MkV GTi holds it's value very well and demand is strong for them second hand.

Also generally the next generation of GTi is usually launched about 12 months after the bog standard Golfs hit the road so you could be looking at 2010 before you see the MkVI GTi.

Plus it's worth remembering that the reason the Mk 6 Golf is coming so soon is for VW to make more money by making the Mk6 a cheaper car to manufacture, with no more independent rear suspension... so maybe the Mk6 GTi mightn't be the car that the 5 is! It certainly wouldn't be the first time VW went backwards with the GTI!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What the lads said. And if you wait for the Mk VI, it's likely you'll be paying an annual motor tax of €2,000

unkel wrote: »
    What the lads said. And if you wait for the Mk VI, it's likely you'll be paying an annual motor tax of €2,000

mmm, possibly, but the current model just sneaks into the €600 tax bracket, and surely VW, like all the other manufacturers, will be aiming to keep emissions down as much as possible in future models?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think it was mentioned here before that a new MkV GTi after July will actually benefit from the new VRT and motor tax changes.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think it was mentioned here before that a new MkV GTi after July will actually benefit from the new VRT and motor tax changes.

Yes - the VRT drops to 28% (down 2%) and tax increases very slightly to €600.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Yes - the VRT drops to 28% (down 2%) and tax increases very slightly to €600.

Yes you're right. The CO2 is only 189g/km which is pretty good for a 2l turbo petrol. I was (wrongly) assuming that most similar cars would fall into the worst bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dexterfletcher

You'll be waiting.... the next generation GTI won't appear until late this year at the very earliest! Probably even later in fact. There is no definite launch date for the MKVI Golf as yet... all I've seen thus far are some ropey looking "spy-shots".
    Also, the "hot" versions tend not to be launched initially... e.g. the MKV Golf came out in early 2004, but it was a almost a year again before the GTI appeared, the R32 even later still.
    So, I wouldn't particularly worry about depreciation or whatever just yet, esp since you are looking at 2-3 year old ones anyway. Expect to pay 23-25k for a '05 and 26-28k for a '06. Roughly.

I know I've been looking at Carzone mainly for price indications, but I was getting the impression that an '05 would still set me back around 30k and that I wouldn't be able to afford an '06 model at all. I'd love to know where you've been seeing the prices you quoted! Would make a big difference to the cost!

Thanks for all the input folks, really appreciated and gives me a good bit of POM.

Roll on March!

• Advertisement

I know I've been looking at Carzone mainly for price indications, but I was getting the impression that an '05 would still set me back around 30k and that I wouldn't be able to afford an '06 model at all. I'd love to know where you've been seeing the prices you quoted! Would make a big difference to the cost!

First of all, Carzone is full of dealers cars and private seller dreamers! A guy I know bought a '06 privately in November for around 30k. Dealers with '05 and '06 cars up on carzone in all likelihood haven't updated the prices recently to reflect the new year has just arrived, making those cars a year older and therefore cheaper to you.
    a brand-new out of the box GTI goes for around 37-40k, depending on extras (before any discount)... so I'd expect '07's to go for 31-33k, '06's for 26-28k, etc, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The Golf MkVI is meant to be using the Golf V chassis, and will still have independent rear suspension(for Europe anyway).

E92 wrote: »
    The Golf MkVI is meant to be using the Golf V chassis, and will still have independent rear suspension(for Europe anyway).

That's not what I read! (about the suspension).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

I dont think GTI's depreciate as quickly as other cars in the same range when a new model is introduced. I wouldnt be hugely worried about it to be honest. The VI GTI will be pretty much the same car - there's not that much they can improve on the current one.

Good luck with the purchase, should you go ahead with it. I hope to buy one in 3 years time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I read somewhere recently that the mk6 is now going to be launched for arrival in early 2009 which is a bit later than previously thought.Also, the mk5 gti was launched about a year after the normal car so will it not be the same???And another thing, its definately going to have the same engine but surely, they'll boost the power about 20 or 30 bhp??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Artist Rendering of VW Golf VI GTI http://www.worldcarfans.com/9080103.009/artist-rendering-of-vw-golf-vi-gti
    Says will have 230bhp - it could just be the current MkV Ed30 engine...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

230 bhp makes the most sense.Then again power in hot hatch's is constantly growing.It can only go so far of course so it would'nt surprise me if vw bring out a gti 4motion.Speaking of another power boos in a hot hatch

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/214500/fast_ford.html

Zonda999 wrote: »
    230 bhp makes the most sense.Then again power in hot hatch's is constantly growing.It can only go so far of course

That's it. Some recent cars (like the Golf Mk V GTI) have done a remarkable job, but 200BHP is about the max usable in a FWD car. And with that you get horrible torque steer even with the best of them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

Worth noting the GTI actually came out in Dec 04 - I just drove a red one in Grange Motors in Dec that year and I have seen a few 03 normal MKV's so approx a year later. I have never seen a 04 registered GTI though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Mmm. The only place a 260bhp FWD car will do 0-60 in 5.5 seconds is on a calculator.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

As it's from Auto Express, I would take it with a pinch of salt. Anyone remember how "different" the Mk3 Focus was supposed to be(according to them it was meant to be anyway).

And FWD cars are meant to be no good at handling any thing more than 200 bhp.

E92 wrote: »

And FWD cars are meant to be no good at handling any thing more than 200 bhp.

Ya, lots of people say that alright, but Autocar reckon that their long term 3 MPS (256bhp) is very good. Granted, putting that much power through the front wheels limits what you can do, but just because something has limited ability, doesn't make it without ability!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Newky

Hi, I just bought a 08 GTI. I had the same concern's as you about buying a car which may be coming to the end of it's life time. A friend of mine is a car dealer who knows a dealer in VW. The information I got back was that the Golf was been replaced at the end of year, but the GTI will take another year to replaced..So late 09,early 2010 for the GTI. Is it worth the wait. No! Buy the car now:)

I also find it kinda funny, certain people throwing cheap 2nd hand prices for the DSG GTI's. I always hear these magical low prices you should be paying for cars, but going getting them is a different story. If your in the trade, yes you can probably get them. My initial intention was to buy a 2nd hand GOLF DSG around July/August 07. My requirements was a GOLF DSG(3dr) Black, 18" wheels, leather wanted, but not a must. First of all, most of the GTI's were manual. I did find a car which came close to my requirements on carzone in August. Garage was looking for 33,500k(06 low mileage). I was hoping to pay 30-31k. When I rang the garage the car was sold within 3 hours of it been advertised. Rang a few private sellers though the prices they looking for were quiet high,and the cars seemed to have moved on quiet quickly.
    26k for a 06 DSG. I'll take my hat off to you if you get one at that price.

Eventually, I ordered a new one.
    3Dr DSG, Black, leather, 18inch wheels. I paid 38k cash.
    DSG is a must as you will get your money back for it every day of the week.

Newky wrote: »

I also find it kinda funny, certain people throwing cheap 2nd hand prices for the DSG GTI's. I always hear these magical low prices you should be paying for cars, but going getting them is a different story. If your in the trade, yes you can probably get them. My initial intention was to buy a 2nd hand GOLF DSG around July/August 07. My requirements was a GOLF DSG(3dr) Black, 18" wheels, leather wanted, but not a must. First of all, most of the GTI's were manual. I did find a car which came close to my requirements on carzone in August. Garage was looking for 33,500k(06 low mileage). I was hoping to pay 30-31k. When I rang the garage the car was sold within 3 hours of it been advertised. Rang a few private sellers though the prices they looking for were quiet high,and the cars seemed to have moved on quiet quickly.
    26k for a 06 DSG. I'll take my hat off to you if you get one at that price.

I wasn't throwing figures out there for the sake of it, I've done more than plenty of research on the topic too and I also own a '07 GTI myself. My figures would tally with what you were quoted - i.e. Garages were looking for around 33k for a '06 car last year... so a '07 today might go for around that now.

Obviously you'd be doing well to get a good spec '06 for 26k, but you might well get a basic spec, higher miles example for it.

I've seen a couple of really nice examples on the web but mostly from private sellers. I have to get rid of my old Mark IV TL first, so I was hoping to find a garage that I could get a trade in at. It is true that its hard to find the DSG version in the various websites and the same 6/7 cars are listed on them all. I'd be suprised if some of the country garages don't have one or two either. Hard to know where to find these though.

Advertisement