Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Younger cat attacking frail older cat

Options
  • 04-01-2008 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

I have two cats aged 20 and 14. The 20 year old is literally on his last legs: deaf, blind in one eye & kidney problems. He doesn't do very much these days, potters around the house eating and sleeping. The younger one has always been a bit aggressive towards the older cat but lately, as the older cat's health declines further, the younger one seems to be particularly vicious toward him. This morning there was an almighty thud followed by wailing and I found the younger one with the older one in a headlock and thumping him off the floor. I pulled the younger one away and he ran off, and now has been spraying all over the house!

There hasn't been another cat in the house and nothing has happened I can think of to trigger this aggression. I presume he knows the older lad is quite sick so it seems so much worse that he's being so vicious. It might be jealousy because of the attention we pay the older fella, but the younger cat isn't really a people cat and doesn't like being petted or fussed over anyway?

Any advice on what's causing this and how to remedy it appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

is he neutered? I don't know much about cats but maybe he is trying to get rid of the older cat off ''his'' territory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

They may have just been a power balance, that until now, has been tipped by the older cat's frailty.

Or maybe the older cat has started behaving differently as a result of its age?

Do they have to share a litter tray, scratching post, sleeping area and/or food dishes?

Making sure they do not have to compete for anything would be a start.

Also, as much as possible, try and be equal in your care of them, even if the younger guy isn't as friendly. For example, don't pay more attention to the older cat or over-prioritize it in terms of feeding first, comforting etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Thanks.

They are both neutered, only the older fella uses the litter box and they do eat in the same area though the younger one always sits back and won't eat until the older one has. They are still a bit iffy around each other so I think I'll just have to try and keep them apart for a while.

Advertisement