Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog likes wood?

Options
  • 04-01-2008 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

I havetwo dogs, one a lab cross and the other a collie, we only got the collie a few weeks ago and as she was a long time stray, she is taking up a lot of attention with regards to training etc.
    Since we got her our other dog, has taken to chewing (sometimes practically eating) wood, i know this is an attention thing, but as he's a big dog the ammount of damage he is doing is incredible, the new dog's kennel is destroyed already and requires replacing (he's clever enough not to eat his own), and he has now started on the shed.
    We got him from the pound when he was a pup and he used to do this then but not on this scale, he grew out of it, so i know this is surely an attention thing and he will hopefully grow out of it again.
    but has anyone any ideas as to weather there is anything that i can put on the wood to stop him eating it - someone before suggested paprika but he licked that off my hand so that probaly won't stop him.
    Its driving me mental to see lumps of wood splintering off everthing in his reach.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

gogo wrote: »
    someone before suggested paprika but he licked that off my hand so that probaly won't stop him.

Hilarious!!

You could try something else like lemon or lime - sour might work? Just dont try onions(not good for dogs)

You could try the aul out with bad in with good approach - when you see him eating it, take a toy and put it into his mouth and praise him... ie. playing with toys is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

How old is he, maybe he is having trouble with his teeth?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Sorry, just re-read, it's your original dog thats chewing. Maybe it has to do with the re-adjustment of your family. He's no longer sure of his place so has revertd to puppy behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

It's not too uncommon to hear, but it is a behaviour you'll want to try to stop as quickly as possibly. Try bitter apple spray or try the polish you get for people who bite their nails. The bitter taste will hopefully deter him. Try to pick up any loose branches in the garden and dispose of or tie them together. One of my dad's dogs ate wood - had so many splinters in his stomach / intestines and he eventually preforated his intenstine which led to his death.

Also, try to provide your dog with something else to chew on, and praise him when he goes for the toy instead of the wood. You could try one of those toys you can fill with treats like peanut butter, etc to keep him entertained while you are training your new dog. Just try to be as even with them as possible to show your old dog that he hasn't lost his place to the new dog.

If you are unable to resolve this problem on your own, you may want to try a dog behaviourist to help you come to a solution. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 dizzydub

Try chilli sauce...our dog licked off tabasco but we got some extra hot habanaro sauce and he's stopped chewing the skirting now...the house smells like a mexican cantina though :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement