Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motor Tax Question

Options
  • 04-01-2008 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

If I buy a new car from a Dublin dealer and the car has a Dublin reg, can I tax it outside of Dublin or will I have to pay the motor tax in a Dublin office?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You pay the tax to your own local authority

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Can it be bought in Dublin and registered elsewhere??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

It's registered at the purchasers address

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

If it's already been registered then you're stuck with that number plate, but it is still unreg'd then it will be reg'd with a Cork reg.

E92 wrote: »
    If it's already been registered then you're stuck with that number plate, but it is still unreg'd then it will be reg'd with a Cork reg.
    ...if you live in Cork biye!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I'm buying the car from a dealer in Dublin, its a new car and hasn't been registered yet so I assume it'll get an 08-D reg, the car just arrived into Ireland and is currently in Cork and it'll arrive in Dublin within 10 days, I live in Westmeath.

Congrats on the new car. It will have (assuming you provide you WH address) a 08 WH reg as it will be you registering it technically and not the dealer

kbannon wrote: »
    Congrats on the new car. It will have (assuming you provide you WH address) a 08 WH reg

Cheers thanks, just paid the deposit to secure it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Nelly23

What is the situation with imports then?Can you choose where you want to reegister it?

@DonJose - 'it' being?

Imports presumably are also registered to the new owner and take their county for the reg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

...if you live in Cork biye!

I thought the OP lived in the real capital like:D!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

DonJose wrote: »
    Cheers thanks, just paid the deposit to secure it ;)

Well wear!

@DonJose - 'it' being?

Ford Galaxy Ghia.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Nelly23 wrote: »
    What is the situation with imports then?Can you choose where you want to reegister it?
    No.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

esel wrote: »
    No.

That's assuming it's already registered. If you are the first registered owner of the car (e.g. you import a car from UK) then you register it with your local authority e.g. a Cork "C" reg. You can even pay €315 for a number of your choice, the choice is limited though.

That's assuming it's already registered. If you are the first registered owner of the car (e.g. you import a car from UK) then you register it with your local authority e.g. a Cork "C" reg. You can even pay €315 for a number of your choice, the choice is limited though.
    The question asked was do you have a choice. You don't. You must register it with the local authority of the area you live in.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

You can even pay €315 for a number of your choice, the choice is limited though.

No you can't
    You have to pre-book the reg number the year in advance.
    If you want 08 D 335
    You have to buy it before October 2007 I believe.
    you can't turn to the tax office and say, well I want 08D335 (If available), pay 315 quid and walk away with your new reg number.

mick.fr wrote: »
    No you can't
    You have to pre-book the reg number the year in advance.
    If you want 08 D 335
    You have to buy it before October 2007 I believe.
    you can't turn to the tax office and say, well I want 08D335 (If available), pay 315 quid and walk away with your new reg number.
    I think what you can do is buy pre-regged numbers that were not taken up. Say you import a '06 car, and find that 06 X 2006 is still available - you can buy that afaik.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement