Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant Metal Man in the Docklands

Options
  • 04-01-2008 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Just saw a model of this in Dublin City Council offices.

Dublin Docklands Authority are looking for permission to put up a steel mesh statue of a person 46.2 metres (151 feet) high standing in the Liffey down at the new pedestrian bridge. Around City quay.

That's about 14 or 15 stories high I think? Model looks absolutely stupid imo because the apartments around it seem to come up to about it's knee.

The application number is 6537/07 if anyone wants to see it on the DCC website. The link is huge and not 100% how to put it in.

This one leads to the search page.

http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/wphappcriteria.display

Full Development Description

Permission to erect an unlit black painted steel lattice sculpture of human figure in the River Liffey at City Quay, 12 m from the quay wall and 30m to the east side of the Sean O'Casey Bridge. The structure would measure 46.2m in height above mid low water spring tide level and would be 12m across at its widest point. Associated elements include six boat collision piles.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Damn Ted Hughes fanatics...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

That would be about the height of the Customs House, wouldn't it..?

Could be interesting.. depends on what it looks like I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

This enormous man will devour us all! *Jumps out window*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

A person or a man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

I think it could look good. Wait will it be clothed, Dublin could be the city with the largest penis in the world :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭colliegG

I've only seen the model but it looks much taller than the surrounding buildings.

Plus it's in the middle of the river.

What's the point? ? ? :confused:

It's a "figure". Big black wiry yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Is Christopher Lee involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Creature wrote: »
    This enormous man will devour us all! *Jumps out window*

:D:D:D:D:D

You Sir, are a Genius...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Pictures or it's not going to hapen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

who's gonna foot the bill for that waste of time?????

• Advertisement

Never thought to take photos but it is on the planning list.

Hasn't been decided yet though.

mc nuggets wrote: »
    I think it could look good. Wait will it be clothed, Dublin could be the city with the largest penis in the world :eek:

I think you'll spot that when the Dail comes back from hols.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

so theyre gonna stack all the shopping trolleys in the liffey on top of one another?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

mc nuggets wrote: »
    Wait will it be clothed, Dublin could be the city with the largest penis in the world :eek:

Yes, it will be waring a shell tracksuit and hoodie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there is a big thread on it over on archiseek

1187332383005_1.jpg?ts=1197299235

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Artists Impression. Looks to me like he's having a piss.

1187332383005_1.jpg?ts=1197034167

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

it's a neural receptor and is going to read the toughts of all berties ministers in the custom house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

BendiBus wrote: »
    Artists Impression.

1187332383005_1.jpg?ts=1197034167

It actually looks menacing, i've seen enough sci-fi to know that this is a bad idea

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Looks more like a pregnant woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

They've since changed the direction and it now looks onto the northside. It's much taller than Custom House, not that much smaller than Liberty Hall

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

So it turns it back on southsiders? :D

Always knew people look to the northside for inspiration :D

Don't think the apt owners would be too pleased with their view of the city blocked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

as you can read on the archeire site im big fan of the sculpture methods, but i don't like that this will be put in the middle of the river, bad feng shui sorta, the sculpture hopefully will be very complex and changeable depending on where you look for it.

Its supposedly a sculpture of a drawing of a man made out of bubbles...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

just dont look, just don't look

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Is this just another attempt by the council to look arty and with it after their attempt with the spire, at tax payers expense. Seems to me the money could be better spent on more trolleys for A+E for us to lie in an emergency.

I'm asked regularly by visitors regarding the spire, what does it mean. I have no idea, does the tall man signify anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Actually I don't like this at all. I'm all for public sculpture and I quite like the spire but this just ruins the liffey-scape for me. And I'm rather fond of the liffey.
    It just doesn't do it for me, I think it's too dominant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Delganys Finest

I'm with you dubtom,
    more money for healthcare,
    better public transport,
    cleaner,safer streets,
    y'know?
    the little things............

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

There's huge amounts of money wasted every day in the public sector. Throwing this money at those problems is not going to achieve much. The money required for projects like this is peanuts compared to the waste. BTW I really like the sculpture. This man will be a friend for everyone in what can sometimes be a lonely place. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

ballooba wrote: »
    There's huge amounts of money wasted every day in the public sector. Throwing this money at those problems is not going to achieve much. The money required for projects like this is peanuts compared to the waste. BTW I really like the sculpture. This man will be a friend for everyone in what can sometimes be a lonely place. :)

Very profound ballooba,unfortunatly this man will only be a friend to the seagulls and rust. I agree about the public sector and the waste of money but yet another meaningless oversized sculptor in this city isn't achieving anything,like it or not. I'd rather see a million euro thrown at a new hostel for the homeless,beds for the sick,public transport or whatever than something like your man.

Disclaimer:I dont know if the man will cost a million,I just used that figure as an example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the spire is the biggest most meanliness thing they could think of it couldn't take up more space and be any less interesting.

the homeless budget and the sculpture bugets are entirely separate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭daniel3982

I like this a lot... same guy that did the angel of the north, and those men on the beach near liverpool... both are popular tourist attractions. Beats all the ****ey architecture near the docks anyway.

Advertisement