Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant Metal Man in the Docklands

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I think it'd look pretty cool, even if it's not a masterpiece it'll be better than just water

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dubtom wrote: »
    Very profound ballooba,unfortunatly this man will only be a friend to the seagulls and rust.

Rust?? Don't be silly. Engineering is more than capable of preventing rust. Of course, it could be allowed to Rust if wanted.

1362733148_0af2366db1.jpg

Some of the comments on the thread were quite funny. The DDA trying to be arty etc, the piece is by one of the most accomplished artists in this part of the world, work in newcastle being most famous, london being another. Comment on the design by all intentions, but the motives are fine. Some of the most famous, and visited, landmarks in the world are some sort of similar public art.

The spire is more accepted now than it was a few years ago.
    In a few years people will probably object to its removal. This is the exact same situation as the Eiffel tower, a huge symbol of paris now, not a chance of removing it. Not bad for a temporary structure.

Giant man in the docks??? I admit at first it looks crazy. All these crazy comparisments were being thrown around. I find it strange that not once was The Statue of Liberty mentioned, anywhere. Probably due to the fact that the SoL is universally accepted. Could that ever be the case here? The SoL is one of the closest things to it. Another being Molecule Man

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

in the new version he is no longer pissing on the southside, but rather is looking (wistfully perhaps) towards the northside:

dublinstatue.jpg

I think they should make it even bigger and put it in the middle of the bay, perhaps depicting him hurling a giant boulder towards England in a Fionn MacCuathill stylee.

In fact, sod it, lets just have a giant statue of Godzilla rising from the sea...

godzilla.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

colliegG wrote: »
    Model looks absolutely stupid

Down with this sort of thing! :rolleyes:

I like it, its latticed, wont ruin anyones view. I love art in cities and towns. I wonder what dubs will call it if it gets done?

The spire is a big attraction now, tourists are always taking photos at it.

Regarding a waste of money, read Ballobas post.

Loyatemu, good post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

dubtom wrote: »
    Is this just another attempt by the council to look arty and with it after their attempt with the spire, at tax payers expense.
    A petty 5 million. There's much bigger amounts of tax payers money being wasted regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Looks much better now that they have him facing the other way. Is he gazing upwards now too? Looks like it but the picture is tiny.

Anyway -- yay for this type of thing. And I've always liked the Spire too :P ...it only cost 5 million? Sounds like a bargain to me.

If an Irish man won the lotto he'd probably complain that it wasn't the Euromillions. Feck the begrudgers tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

loyatemu wrote: »
    in the new version he is no longer pissing on the southside, but rather is looking (wistfully perhaps) towards the northside:

dublinstatue.jpg

I wouldn'r get too hung up on the concept drawings, they are just to show roughly the idea, scale etc.
    It's an artists impression, but not THE artists impression
    afaik, that drawing wasn't produced by gormley, its only based on his comisssion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

mellor what ya think about it being in the middle of the river?, Im guessing its going to where the river is wider where tthe dodder and canal exit.

it is a bit fad though oh we must have a gormely we carvelli(sp) bridge infact dublin is so trendy we'll have two.

they use these things to distract from the incompetence of the DDDA and crappy apartments built in redevelopements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Maybe it's a sly tribute to Brobdingnag in Dubliner Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Kiki_

Looks like a fun climbing frame! How many drunks and adventurous kiddies are gonna try climb it? (and possibly fall to their death)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

54?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Is this just another attempt by the council to look arty

THEY should mount a large compressor and a valve system inside the sculpture so it lets loose on the hour. And a fountain sited around the sculpture's groin which pours out when the pubs close.

We'll have a sort of Giant Farting and Pissing Man in the Liffey. That would be really unique for Dublin - and very appropriate given the various stenches of the city!

The docks should be farty as well as arty...:)

Advertisement