Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ist time broadband Eircom or BT

Options
  • 04-01-2008 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

My 1st time getting bb at home,
    Because of location phone line is the only option.

Options seem to be eircom at €50.99 with unlimited local and national calls of peak (€29 connection) or

BT at €39 with all calls at local rates (€45 connection).

Just one laptop using it, does the free wireless modem with eircom or the €45 one with BT provide me with wi fi access around the house.

Have been reading thru threads am am aware of a lot of negative comments about BT custmer service but over the course of a 12 month contract does seem much cheaper

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Don't just limit yourself to those guys.

As a rule of thumb eircom is the most expensive!

Check out if smart are in your area. Also check out utv's offering. ITs what I have and I'm happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Don't just limit yourself to those guys.

As a rule of thumb eircom is the most expensive!

Check out if smart are in your area. Also check out utv's offering. ITs what I have and I'm happy with it

I thought Smart were in all sorts of trouble, as in people not having phone lines because Smart aren't paying their eircom bills ? Just checked out smarts website and they've line rental and 3 mb bb for only 35 quid !! Now i wonder if it's available in my area ?

Update, should've known it's not available in my area.....looks like i'm sticking with BT !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Is your phone line already in???
    As far as I know - Eircom are dropping the connection charge for setting up the line on Wednesday next - They may also drop the connection fee for the broadband

Am in a similar situation - going to opt for Eircom - as I have heard bad things about BT's billing

Also - Digiweb DSL may be an option, but you are saving very little with them
    UTV don't seem a whole lot cheaper than Eircom either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

hi guys im in the same boat as u read my post i just posted entitled BROADBAND HELP PLEASE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 madboggar

Has anyone got a speedtest for Eircom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

I find BT great. Never have had a problem with their billing. Maybe I have just been lucky:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭O7Pat

Shyboy wrote: »
    I find BT great. Never have had a problem with their billing. Maybe I have just been lucky:D

Good to hear - does their wireless modem just mean wirefree or wifi access arond the house? Bit confused as to what I need

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

O7Pat wrote: »
    Good to hear - does their wireless modem just mean wirefree or wifi access arond the house? Bit confused as to what I need

Yep i'm with BT too and never had a problem with my billing as for their wireless, according to a friend of mine it's wireless up to about 12 inches !!!! I'm being serious here, he tried having them in two different rooms but could only get dial up speeds if even that and there was a lot of lost connections so now his perfect solution is to have the "wireless" bits about 1 foot apart and perfect speeds and connection ! Actually now i think of it 2 of my friends are with BT and never reported problems with their bills !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I ordered boadband off BT before Christmas and the line has been enabled (modem is synched up and reports everything is a go) tech support were able to give me my username and password no problems..only problem is BT billing department havent enabled my account yet so the system just rejects my username and pass. The tech guys were pretty helpful and confirmed that the issue is definatly not to do with line or modems etc..its purely that my account isnt activated yet!!!!

So they've managed to send someone out to the exchange and enable my line, but two weeks later they havent managed to enable my account....

Speaks volumes for BT's legendary billing department there I think, I await Mondays, no doubt, heated exchange with BT customer care again...
    I really really hope I don't have billing issues in the future ...

Would I go with BT again?..no bloody way..I'm sat here on a Saturday with a BB enabled and a working line..with a valid username and password..but connot get connected because some twat in the billing dept hasnt bothered to click a button to activate my account!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Longfield wrote: »
    I ordered boadband off BT before Christmas and the line has been enabled (modem is synched up and reports everything is a go) tech support were able to give me my username and password no problems..only problem is BT billing department havent enabled my account yet so the system just rejects my username and pass. The tech guys were pretty helpful and confirmed that the issue is definatly not to do with line or modems etc..its purely that my account isnt activated yet!!!!

So they've managed to send someone out to the exchange and enable my line, but two weeks later they havent managed to enable my account....

Speaks volumes for BT's legendary billing department there I think, I await Mondays, no doubt, heated exchange with BT customer care again...
    I really really hope I don't have billing issues in the future ...

Would I go with BT again?..no bloody way..I'm sat here on a Saturday with a BB enabled and a working line..with a valid username and password..but connot get connected because some twat in the billing dept hasnt bothered to click a button to activate my account!

Stick with it, what another couple of weeks !! :D

I am in the same boat with eircom, line was enabled just before Christmas, i placed my BB order and the "come back to eircom thing" ( i am with Utv at the moment ) 2 weeks pass and i call eircom to get an update and ask why i got nothing to sign in the post about the coming back thing and lo and behold, because of the Christmas rush it was lost or not put through or sometimes when you place 2 orders they cancel each other out ! or some other excuse. Reordered it and was told will be turned on jan 21. Been waiting 5 years for BB so what another few weeks !

As to why i picked eircom: Its at the mothers house and i have never had an issue with it, its also very rare to see a negative thread about the shower here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭O7Pat

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Is your phone line already in???
    As far as I know - Eircom are dropping the connection charge for setting up the line on Wednesday next - They may also drop the connection fee for the broadband

Am in a similar situation - going to opt for Eircom - as I have heard bad things about BT's billing

Also - Digiweb DSL may be an option, but you are saving very little with them
    UTV don't seem a whole lot cheaper than Eircom either

Thanks for all the help guys,

For the basic package eircom is €11 a month dearer than bt,
    when it was just the billing issue I was thinking of going BT and not going direct debit
    but if there is problems with their wireless as well don't know if it worth the hassle.
    Am thinking of going with eircom for a year, getting what appears to be the better wireless router thingy and then maybe doing a swap over to bt

I though this would be a much easier process, maybe I'll stick with the broadband at work and just keep the dial up at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

O7Pat wrote: »
    Does their wireless modem just mean wirefree or wifi access arond the house? Bit confused as to what I need

Can someone answer this ? im conf aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

madboggar wrote: »
    Has anyone got a speedtest for Eircom

home.eircom.net/speedtest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

beerbaron wrote: »
    Can someone answer this ? im conf aswell.

Where's the confusion? A wireless modem is a WiFi router, and as such gives you wireless/WiFi/wire free broadband around the home.

Advertisement