Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking shoes for running

• 04-01-2008 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hey, just bought a pair of asics kayano runners in the sales and was only when i looked them up online that i realised they are in fact 'walking shoes'.
    Can anyone tell me if they will be ok for running in. I don't run marathons or anything, say 3-5 miles once or twice a week.
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jenc

Hey,

Just be carefull there is a shoe called the Kayano walker and the Asics Kayano if it doesn't say walker on the shoe I'd say it's the normal Asics Kayano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

You will only find the answer to this question after the first weeks of training or even worse again when your forking out a fortune to a physio. Walking and Running are as different as chalk and cheese regarding impact injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭damianmckeever

Yeah as JenC says there are two type of kayano a walker and the standard kayano.

http://www.amphibianking.ie/product_info.php?cPath=33&products_id=90

And then the standard Kayano

http://www.amphibianking.ie/product_info.php?cPath=29_31&products_id=71

As long as you have the second one it's designed for running in. As Sean says running in walking shoe is not recommended. The heel on the walker is usually got a lower profile (15mm on the heel 11mm on for the forefoot) the running shoe will be more commonly 23mm on the heel and 11 on the forefoot. This caters for your more defined heel strike when you're walking.

Hope this helps and you didn't get the wrong shoe!! If you did just use it as a casual shoe because like sean says it's going to cost you in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭ss43

Damian, why would you want a big difference in heel and forefoot height? Is the most ideal footstrike not one that first contacts the ground with the midfoot with the heel then coming down? It seems to me that a shoe with a big difference in heel and forefoot height would allow for the initial stage but then prevent the heel from dropping.

Hey ss43,

Most running coaches will encourage a midfoot strike. In Chi running they recommend a mid foot strike however the vast population still strike with their heel. If you ever look at a race particularly a marathon race you'll notice most people are heel striking.

All the running brands are doing is catering for the market. Any training shoe that you would be familar with (Asics Kayano, Asics 2130, Nike Pegasus) are all built up on the heel with most of the technology in the heel of the shoe.

Racing flats, walking shoes or off road shoes have a lower profile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Tonic07

Cheers for advice all. Yeah it's the walker I picked up alright. Bought in Arnotts sale so was a bit hectic and didn't really examine fully at time.
    Will take your advice Damian and use as casual shoe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭ss43

Damian,

Would that mean that the vast majority of runner would be useless to someone who does ion fact strike with the midfoot. If you were on awebsite what would the descroption of a pair of runners say to imply they were suitable for midfoot strikers - I've never seen any say "for midfoot strikers".

Hey ss43,

there are shoes that would suit a midfoot striker more than a heel striker. It's just that a lot of the technology of the shoe is in the heel. If you have a look at Chi running website they do have some shoes that would suit midfoot strikers a little better. The more you improve at getting a consistent mid foot strike the lower profile a shoe they suggest you go into.

http://www.chirunning.com/shop/pages.php?tab=r&pageid=18&id=337

Some of the shoes mentioned here would have a lower profile on the heel. The 902 for example has a lower profile.

Hope this makes sense to you.

Advertisement