Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Pump Stopped

Options
  • 04-01-2008 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi,

I've a gas boiler with zoned heating.
    Zone 1 is for heating the water in the tank.
    Zone 2 is for bedroom rads, 3 for the rest of the rads.
    Recently the water pump for zone 1 has stopped completely.
    The other two pumps are working fine.

The pump says "Sure Pump Sp 55/150" on the side.
    The boiler is lighting fine.
    My boiler pressure is around 1.5 which should be normal pressure I think.

There is a switch on the side of the pump with 3 settings, tried adjusting but no luck. :(
    There is a bleed valve on the pump also, bled a tiny bit of water but no luck with this either. :mad:
    Tried hitting the pump in an effort to get it turning, still no joy :eek:

Any other suggestions on what I could check?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Probably what you called the bleed valve is at the front of the pump, in line with the impeller. If it's like a big screw or plug, take it out and see if the impeller is jammed or free to turn. If it is stuck, try to free it with a screwdriver - turn on and see if it spins. If it is free, there might be a wiring problem in the pump and it will need to be replaced. You should also see if the power is getting to the pump. If you are happy working with electricity, you could take the cover off the wiring into the pump. You can use a phase tester, but the problem might be with the neutral not the live. If you get a bulb holder of some kind - maybe a bedside light without a plug. Make sure that it is switched on - connect the live and neutral to the live and neutral of the pump and switch on the heating the bulb should light - if not, there is no power getting to the pump and a problem further back in the system.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭jonathan11

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the suggestions. One concern I have is that when I loosen the screw at the front of the pump, water starts leaking out. Do I need to turn off the water somewhere first?

Cheers !
    /Jonathan

Advertisement