Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How many year i need to stay with the same insurance company after the claim

Options
  • 04-01-2008 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a question related to the insurance. Hope you can help me

I had a accident and claimed (less 2000) from the insurance company on December 2006, I didn't lost the no claim bonus, but from the insurance broker, they said I have to stay with the same insurance company few years.
    My insurance is due again this month with double the normal cost. Normally cost me around 380. This is the 2nd year.

I just wondering if anyone know how many year i need to stay with the same insurance company. I am with Allianz at the moment.

thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If I understand correctly, the claim was for less than €2,000? Why has your premium doubled if you haven't lost your NCB? I'd suggest going through the Golden Pages and calling everyone for quotes. I'm sure other companies will quote you, given the small size of the claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭SpongeBob2000

Anan1 wrote: »
    If I understand correctly, the claim was for less than €2,000? Why has your premium doubled if you haven't lost your NCB? I'd suggest going through the Golden Pages and calling everyone for quotes. I'm sure other companies will quote you, given the small size of the claim.

Thanks for the reply.
    My claim is 1k-2k. (can't remember) I have the no claim bonus protection. The broker just told me have to stay with the same company otherwise they will ask me to pay the money back. :confused: is it true?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Thanks for the reply.
    My claim is 1k-2k. (can't remember) I have the no claim bonus protection. The broker just told me have to stay with the same company otherwise they will ask me to pay the money back. :confused: is it true?

Nope , you've been had :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Thanks for the reply.
    My claim is 1k-2k. (can't remember) I have the no claim bonus protection.
    So why has your premium doubled?
    The broker just told me have to stay with the same company otherwise they will ask me to pay the money back. :confused: is it true?
    No.

My advice is to shop around. Ring everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Thanks for the reply.

Absolute bull. My granny made a claim of €5k on the car insurance 18 months ago with Hibernian and Quinn can beat the renewal quote. It's still a bit higher than last year because my grandad doesn't have his own car anymore (which reduces the premium for each).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

fbd gave me a quote after a claim for almost 700 less than quinn, because my claim was under 3k. shop about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

You need to bring an Irish person who is familiar with car insurance along to meet your broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

You are not obliged to stay with any one broker.

Shop around.

I recommend Hibernian, they are pretty good for me and ive used them thru a broker in Donegal for 5 years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It sounds like the broker is messing you around. They won't be able to lock you in like that but you are likely to lose some or all your NCB if the protection is step-back over a number of years. I'm guessing this is what the broker really means even if they are messing you around.

Given the low value of the claim I'd certainly look at moving. In fact if someone matched the quote for a similar policy I'd jump straight away to get away from that broker.

You should read the small print on your policy to see what the terms of the bonus protection are. If they differ from what the broker claims I'd suggest a complaint to the relevant authority after you move.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Hi,

I have a question related to the insurance. Hope you can help me

I had a accident and claimed (less 2000) from the insurance company on December 2006, I didn't lost the no claim bonus, but from the insurance broker, they said I have to stay with the same insurance company few years.
    My insurance is due again this month with double the normal cost. Normally cost me around 380. This is the 2nd year.

I just wondering if anyone know how many year i need to stay with the same insurance company. I am with Allianz at the moment.

thanks a mill

Simple answer is you dont have to stay with any company for any lenght of time IF you can get another to cover you.
    The problem is most companies dont like taking on drivers who have claimed recently, so you tend to end up getting the best quote from the orginal insurer.
    If you claimed off your insurance you lost your no claims bonus. It may have been "protected" if you had paid an additional sum for "step back" but this is generally not recognised by other companies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

i claimed 1100 euro off my insurance laat year but am going to australia in april before my insurance is due for renewal. does anyone know if they will ask me to pay back the claim as i will obviously not be renewing my insurance this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

aido79 wrote: »
    i claimed 1100 euro off my insurance laat year but am going to australia in april before my insurance is due for renewal. does anyone know if they will ask me to pay back the claim as i will obviously not be renewing my insurance this year?

No you will not be asked for the money back, but if you are leaving before your renewal date then you should cancel your policy and ask for a refund on the unused months.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Thanks for the reply.

I would ask the broker to put that in writing and if they do then pass it on to the insurance federation in the form of a complaint.
    If you have the renewal quote in writing then that could form the basis of a complaint too unless there is a good reason for the big price increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

aido79 wrote: »

Contact these guys and explain your situation. If we're picking you up right I'd say your broker is in for a hefty fine!
    Financial Regulator Contacts

All you have to do if you won't be driving the car is let the policy lapse (i.e do nothing)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭SpongeBob2000

I would ask the broker to put that in writing and if they do then pass it on to the insurance federation in the form of a complaint.
    If you have the renewal quote in writing then that could form the basis of a complaint too unless there is a good reason for the big price increase.

FBD gave me a good quote with only 418. the broker has messed me around.....

Advertisement