Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's ASR??

Options
  • 04-01-2008 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

My uncle just bought a new Jetta sport version that I'm going to be driving occasionally.

Anyway was driving it today and noticed a button by the gear stick that said "ASR off". My uncle had no idea so I looked in the manual. The problem is, in the manual, there is a button in the same position but it's called either "ESP" or "TCS" not ASR?

Is it the same idea? I pressed it when stationary but with the engin running and nothing seemed to happen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

ASR= Anti-Slip Regulation.
    Skid control of some sort, I'd surmise.

edited to add-
    Further research reveals it to be a form of Traction Control.

edited again-
    What they said below, while I was doing the first edit. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

"ASR is short for Anti-Slip Regulation. It is basically a safety feature where, if a wheel begins to slip, the computer applies braking force to that particular wheel, assisting to gain better control."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Traction Control.

You may have to hold it for a second or two for it to turn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Anti-Schlupf Regelung to be precise ..translates to traction control.

First introduced by Mercedes Benz under that name in the late 80's early 90's if I'm not mistaken

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Loveless wrote: »
    "ASR is short for Anti-Slip Regulation. It is basically a safety feature where, if a wheel begins to slip, the computer applies braking force to that particular wheel, assisting to gain better control."
    I don't think it applies braking force, it merely cuts the power from the engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

If its off make sure its switched on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I have ASR on my Golf and it flashed on a couple of times on the icy road, nice feature to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

not to be confused with stability control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The only time ASR needs to be turned off is if you're stuck in mud or sand and the car won't move because ASR prevents wheelspin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Princess78

Thanks for all the replies, I'll stop pressing it now :)

Now I'm just wondering how the hell do I know if it's turned on or off?? It's just a simple press button, there's no light or anything to tell me if it's on or off. I just pressed it the once and it didn't seem to do anything.

Other than that - I know Jettas get a bit of a bashing on here but I have to say I'm really liking it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Princess78 wrote: »
    Now I'm just wondering how the hell do I know if it's turned on or off?? It's just a simple press button, there's no light or anything to tell me if it's on or off. I just pressed it the once and it didn't seem to do anything.

Is there not a warning light on the speedo?

There's either an indicator light on the ASR off switch, which will light up when it's off, or there is a light in the dash(it might be one that looks like a wheel, it might say "ASR", it depends on the car).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Princess78

Something to investigate tomorrow! I don't think i turned it off.

Thanks guys.

In most cars if you turn it off, it will reset itself so that the next time you start the car, it will be on again(I know that Toyotas do this anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

I drive a Volkswagen Caddy and have that ASR light too. You'll know it is on because the letters 'ASR' will be light up in orange on the button itself. You'll probably notice it easier at night-time.

Yeah if you turn it off, the next time you start the car it turns itself back on automatically. When it kicks in while driving, you'll see a little orange car with sliding marks on the dashboard. It kicks in when driving on icy roads and if you drive over a humpback bridge too fast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I drive a lot on country roads and when I give way to an oncoming car and I drive onto the verge sometimes the light comes on.

Advertisement