Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying car with no tax or insurance, how to get it home?

Options
  • 04-01-2008 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

Im looking at a car tomorrow that has no tax and I wont be insured on. Its a good distance away, if I was happy with it and bought it, am I legally allowed drive it home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

I think you already know the answer to that one. It's no. How could it be legal to drive without insurance???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

Do you currently have a policy in your own name? If so just ring your insurance co and ask for a temp transfer to the new car, if not have you got a relative or mate who would do the temp change on their policy and drive the car back for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭gufcfan

Driving a car without insurance is an extremely dangerous thing to do.

No tax or insurance disk in the windscreen is a dead giveaway and anyone is likely to notice it, not least the cops. Even if the old disks are there if you were to get pulled over you would most likely lose your licence for 6 months, as that is the minimum.

Cops are much less likely to let people off with stuff these days, and i don't disagree with that attitude.

What would happen if you had an accident?

What if another party was injured?

It would bankrupt a millionaire, I've seen it happen.

I know a fella that drove without insurance and he crashed into a young lad. The young lad needs 24 hour care now, and the fukr that done it, owes the insurance crowd hundreds of thousands. He's drivin around in a new-ish merc now... not a bother on him.

He hasnt a notion of payin it, so he will see jail for a long time for it, with any luck...

Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Insurance is pushing it, I know but I can arrange that on the spot. how about the tax?

gufcfan wrote: »
    Driving a car without insurance is an extremely dangerous thing to do.

No tax or insurance disk in the windscreen is a dead giveaway and anyone is likely to notice it, not least the cops. Even if the old disks are there if you were to get pulled over you would most likely lose your licence for 6 months, as that is the minimum.

Cops are much less likely to let people off with stuff these days, and i don't disagree with that attitude.

What would happen if you had an accident?

What if another party was injured?

It would bankrupt a millionaire, I've seen it happen.

I know a fella that drove without insurance and he crashed into a young lad. The young lad needs 24 hour care now, and the fukr that done it, owes the insurance crowd hundreds of thousands. He's drivin around in a new-ish merc now... not a bother on him.

He hasnt a notion of payin it, so he will see jail for a long time for it, with any luck...

Rant over

Hold on now, Im not trying to chance it. I want to know how I go about getting this car home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Hold on now, Im not trying to chance it. I want to know how I go about getting this car home.

Flatbed tow truck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

What happens if you want to test drive a car that is for a private sale, are you not covered for insurance then? Or if you want to have a spin in your friends' car? Are you not covered for insurance in these situations?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

E92 wrote: »
    What happens if you want to test drive a car that is for a private sale, are you not covered for insurance then? Or if you want to have a spin in your friends' car? Are you not covered for insurance in these situations?

Unless the owners of the cars have an open driver policy on the car and you meet the criteria then no you are not covered.

Insurance is pushing it, I know but I can arrange that on the spot. how about the tax?

As long as you have insurance then don't worry about it not being taxed.

If you are just buying the car then you are only liable for the tax from the first day of the month you bought it. Until you get the reg cert back in your name you cannot tax it anyway. Just make sure the change of ownership part is filled in and posted the day you buy the car.

John R wrote: »
    Unless the owners of the cars have an open driver policy on the car and you meet the criteria then no you are not covered.

Thanks for the reply. Do you only have an open driver policy when you've fully comp insurance? And what sort of criteria needs to be met?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

John R wrote: »
    As long as you have insurance then don't worry about it not being taxed.

If you are just buying the car then you are only liable for the tax from the first day of the month you bought it. Until you get the reg cert back in your name you cannot tax it anyway. Just make sure the change of ownership part is filled in and posted the day you buy the car.

I've had 10 used cars in my relatively short driving career and NONE of them had tax when I bought them (:mad:). I've never worried about not having tax for the first couple of weeks. This is having met a few checkpoints in these cars. I once met the same Guard at different checkpoints a week apart and he remebered me- he just said the second time 'just get the fu*kin car taxed willya'. That was the old save up the VLCs til the end of the month trick.

Drive on and tell the guards you've just bought it if they ask- they'll tell you drive on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Open driving is not the same as driving other cars that many comp policies come with. Driving other cars does what it says on the tin, but with third party cover only, and the other car must be covered by insurance also. Open driving allows anyone (typically aged 26+) to drive your car whether or not they have their own insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Stephen wrote: »
    Open driving is not the same as driving other cars that many comp policies come with. Driving other cars does what it says on the tin, but with third party cover only, and the other car must be covered by insurance also. Open driving allows anyone (typically aged 26+) to drive your car whether or not they have their own insurance.

I'm almost certain that no insurance company's driving of other cars extension will allow you to drive a second car you own but the rules seem to change continuously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

or your mot's I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, I should have mentioned that. Driving other cars... not owned by you!!

Thanks for the reply. Do you only have an open driver policy when you've fully comp insurance? And what sort of criteria needs to be met?

With a few exceptions you only get open driver as an addition although some companies such as Hibernian offer it on certain policies instead of named drivers.

Usually it is restricted to full licence holders over 25, restrictions on accident/claim free for x years and no driving convictions/endorsements are also common.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

transfer ur insurance over for a few hours.

dont worry about the tax issue.

Thanks guys, I have created a quote online with Quinn Direct and will phone them tomorrrow to confirm it and tax will be ok to get home with

Stephen wrote: »

So if I'm fully comp then I can drive say your car or anyone else's car and I'll be covered, but I'll only have third party insurance when I drive this car?(once the other car is insured)

What about third party, am I restricted to only my own car with third party?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Eoin087

What about third party, am I restricted to only my own car with third party?
    AFAIK you have the drive other cars extension on a tpft policy with quinn, only thing is you have to be over 25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

So if I'm fully comp then I can drive say your car or anyone else's car and I'll be covered, but I'll only have third party insurance when I drive this car?(once the other car is insured)
    Thats right, but that is the case only if you have the "drive other cars" part of the policy, which some companys require you to be over 25 for. Also, most companies require that the other car is not owned by you or hired to you and must be insured by someone, but FBD told me before that they'd cover me to drive another car even though it wasn't insured by anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

That is what I use to do when I buy a car:

- Phone my insurance company, give them the chassis number, plate number and I am insured immediately.
    They then fax me some kind of paper stating I am insured on the vehicle.
    So if I got stopped I am alright.

- Get the current owner to not only sign-off the transfer of ownership form from the Certificate of Ownership, but I also take a copy of his ID and make him sign a letter than he sold me his car (Details) such day for such amount.
    Then we send the cert to the Dept to get a new cert to my name.
    So if you got stopped by the Garda for with no tax disk, I can explain/show them why.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

mick.fr wrote: »
    That is what I use to do when I buy a car:

- Phone my insurance company, give them the chassis number, plate number and I am insured immediately.
    They then fax me some kind of paper stating I am insured on the vehicle.
    So if I got stopped I am alright.

- Get the current owner to not only sign-off the transfer of ownership form from the Certificate of Ownership, but I also take a copy of his ID and make him sign a letter than he sold me his car (Details) such day for such amount.
    Then we send the cert to the Dept to get a new cert to my name.
    So if you got stopped by the Garda for with no tax disk, I can explain/show them why.

Sounds good, but it has a flaw.

You are asking previous owner to allow you submit change of ownership paperwork. It's not advisable to do so.

I'm not saying you would, but less scrupulous people have been known to clock up fines etc. before submitting the papers to transfer ownership.

Advertisement