Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine need for Fiat Punto '00 *urgent*

Options
  • 04-01-2008 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭

hi,

if anyone has seen/knows crashed punto with the good engine, please let me know by pm.
    mechanic has said my punto needs engine replaced and he'd do the job, but I need to get engine myself.

Thanks!

*sorry for the mistake in the topic, I was in the hurry.

edit: phone number removed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

It's a bit mean spirited to let the client find an engine- he's the one in the trade, not you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

j@utis wrote: »
    hi,

if anyone has seen/knows crashed punto with the good engine, please let me know by pm.
    mechanic has said my punto needs engine replaced and he'd do the job, but I need to get engine myself.

Thanks!

*sorry for the mistake in the topic, I was in the hurry.

What sort/size of engine - I have a complete 00 punto van but its a 1.8 diesel, going cheap, needs slight electrical/immobiler work done.

You could try traynors for a second hand engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

cantdecide wrote: »
    It's a bit mean spirited to let the client find an engine- he's the one in the trade, not you...

Actually it is smart as he doesn't have to take the blame for any subsequent problems with an unknown engine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

yours is mk2 and uses a very similar engine to the mk1, but be careful because they arnt identical and there can be a lot of things that wont fit onto a mk1 engine that came from a mk2 engine.,
    is it defo not fixable? also what engine is in yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

it's 1.2 petrol. and it's the second time engine goes on this car. last time, 1.5 year ago, I got engine replaced for 800euros. this time the other garage priced it at 850. mechanic says he can't garantee that fitted engine will work, but he still would take money for the parts/work done.
    the best option would be to find engine myself of the some crashed car that was running no problem before.
    it's pretty hard decision to make because car itself is worth less than 2000euros :(:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

shouldn't of a bought a punto in the first place.. i buy them for 100 quid each ( if i wanted them , but i dont )

which proves my point.. buy two cause at least one will break.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

You should cut your loses and buy another car. I had a Punto and the engine went too. It seems to be a fairly common thing to happen so it'll probably just happen to the new engeine in time. Cut your loses now.

you didnt say what is wrong with it though? are you using the same tech this time? is he really any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭beatman91

I would buy something else and sell this one on. They are not the most reliable cars.

Oh and whats wrong with it? It must be really bad if you need a whole engine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I'd have the most common problem with the 8 valve as head gasket failure, unless its popped twice, and even at that, a good head will do...

• Advertisement

ive seen some with a busted crank aswell but even that would be cheaper to fix than fitting a new engine.,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I'd have to agree with a few posters, cut your losses and get something reliable. My mates gf blew a head gasket on the M1 and do it again 8 months later. She sold it on to some aul lad that fixes cars up.

They're not as bad as people make out.

That said, if I was the OP, I'd cut and run too.

Unlike the Rover K series, where an uprated gasket is available, the best solution to FIAT HGF (if that is what this is) is, yet another FIAT head gasket, coupled with judicious skimming-which can only be done twice AFAIK). This is all applicable to the 8 valve engine of course. On the upside, if the timing belt breaks on the 8 valve, you're safe, unlike the newer 16 valve engine.

If it's none of the above, OP, time for new wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Slight Borderline OT: What Mileage did the engine go at out of curiousity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

sorry I'm not very into mechanical stuff (I'm a girl).

the first engine ended with broken crankshaft. 65k mls was on it.
    the second one is also with ~65k mls on it. water and oil started disapearing at insane rates (2ltr of water went into it everyday). it wouldn't idle, car was all shaking at the low revs, lost power. mechanic says one of the cylinders is gone, no chance to repair.

I think about leaving my punto in the ditch (wonder if anyone would buy non-runner) and buying something more reliable.

Sounds more like head gasket failure tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭beatman91

sorry I'm not very into mechanical stuff (I'm a girl).

the first engine ended with broken crankshaft. 65k mls was on it.
    the second one is also with ~65k mls on it. water and oil started disapearing at insane rates (2ltr of water went into it everyday). it wouldn't idle, car was all shaking at the low revs, lost power. mechanic says one of the cylinders is gone, no chance to repair.

I think about leaving my punto in the ditch (wonder if anyone would buy non-runner) and buying something more reliable.

Get something more reliable, get a small starlet or polo or whatever else. It will save you a lot of money in a long run.

Goodluck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Sounds more like head gasket failure tbh.

Yes, but chronic HG failure - sounds like car had been driven for a while and the problem was ignored:
    water and oil started disapearing at insane rates (2ltr of water went into it everyday)

Getting a new head and, cleaning all the gunk and so on, who knows if there is a problem in the block too - sounds like it would just be easier and quicker to find another engine. But unless the bodywork of the car is fine and all the rest of the mechanicals are good, it's probably not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Due to the head gasket being quite a common issue, there really aren't that many decent condition 1.2 FIRE engines for the Punto available. It'd probably be cheaper even in the short term to get a "new" car, to be honest. Anything other than an 8 valve 1.2 litre Fiat engined car...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 solovei72

Hi. when i read that i remember from my car fiat punto 2000.It was happend to me after one month when i bought the car,engine is gone down,i was to mechanic because were some metal noise from the engine and he say to replace the engine,i found another engine i replace my self.and i sold the car.Sell the car and never buy Any fiat punto.Sorry for any mistake

• Advertisement
Advertisement