Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Centre Restaurant Recommendations

Options
  • 04-01-2008 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I'll be back in Cork Tuesday for work and staying overnight with a few colleagues from across the pond. I wanted to take them out for a good meal but as I'm out of the county for a good few years I'm not in touch with some good restaurants. I was thinking of taking them to Kinsale and getting a table in the Man Friday, but we're staying out at the Travellodge Airport so the City is closer. Any good recommendations that would rival the Man Friday as I think thats the best I've ever been to in Cork.???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭eoghan h

Milano's on Oliver Plunkett St.

It's a great restaurant and it's quite reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

If you're looking for something to rival Man Friday you are looking at the likes of Greenes in McCurtain street or a trip out to the rising tide in Glounthaune. I don't think that Milano's would be anywhere it that league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭KidCapree

If you were going out for dinner why would u go to Milano's.. sher all u can have in there is Pizza!! Scooozi's is the place for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

as long as the food is good price is not an object.....these guys thinking I'm from the city are expecting me to take them somewhere decent.

The Ambassador Chinese on Cook St has always been a favourite of mine. I think a good Chinese/Italian or Steak house is what I'm after

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

If price is not a problem and you want to make an impression without going anywhere too quirky, I'd recommend Jacob's on South Mall. Good food, mainly Irish and European style. The service is good and the surroundings are interesting (old Turkish bath house). I've also heard good things about Les Gourmandises, Hayfield Manor and Star Anise.

Greene's, Jacques, the Ambassador and Fleming's in Tivoli also used to be good but I haven't been to any of them in years.

The best Chinese in Cork IMO is Star Vast, but I'm not sure I'd bring a business group there. Rossini's used to be the best Italian in town but has gone downhill recently. Casanova on North Main St has quite good food, but again maybe not suitable for a business outing, as it's more of an informal bistro-style place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

Heard Mrs Dee's out in Mount Oval is nice..anyone else been there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

If price is not a problem and you want to make an impression without going anywhere too quirky, I'd recommend Jacob's on South Mall. Good food, mainly Irish and European style. The service is good and the surroundings are interesting (old Turkish bath house). I've also heard good things about Les Gourmandises, Hayfield Manor and Star Anise.

Greene's, Jacques, the Ambassador and Fleming's in Tivoli also used to be good but I haven't been to any of them in years.

That sums it up nicely in my opinion (bar Star Anise as I have never been there). I would particularly recommend Les Gourmandises and Jacobs. Flemings is great but could be hit or miss with your colleagues because it is a little bit unconventional (musty old house sitting room). Hayfield Manor is a good choice too, a bit of a haul from the airport though, the other city centre ones you get to wander around town and it is a nice evening. Also, not sure where exactly the Travelodge is, but Kinsale is pretty handy from the airport. It is a nice experience going to Kinsale, can wander around the village and pop into a pub or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,692 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Another one for if price isn't much of an issue is The Ivory Tower off oliver plunket st. Very different and unconventional, but will certainly leave an impression!

(unbelievable goats cheese starter is always recommended!)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

i've said this before but i quite like il padrinos for italian food. the portions are good and the setting is intimate....
    as for starvast, i am not crazy about it.... i felt their quality dissipated in the last year or so.... im a fan of the luyan on douglas road.... its just above a pub called the briar rose... not terribly fancy but the staff are lovely and the food is delicious....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ya Mrs. Dee's is nice bit pricey but the steaks are sweet, Aroma by the Opera House is quality as well very reasonable bit small though, its Chinese by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Sorry for jumping on the bandwagon, but can someone sugest a Thai restaurant (not a Chinese that has a few Thai dishes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 mmurphy

Try Ruen Thai or Banna thai in cork both are very good

• Registered Users Posts: 31,692 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Nakon Thai in Douglas is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

Hardwood its food is excellent. www.hardwood.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Cook St., side street between Oliver Plunkett St. and South Mall. http://www.lesgourmandises.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I took a group from work to the restaurant part of Soho on Grand Parade this week, the food was fine & you certainly won't leave hungry with the portion sizes.

On the other hand I don't really like the place as a bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

opus wrote: »
    I took a group from work to the restaurant part of Soho on Grand Parade this week, the food was fine & you certainly won't leave hungry with the portion sizes.

On the other hand I don't really like the place as a bar.

its too long and narrow.... no real personality.... takes forever to get served....

Advertisement