Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling my car - had bad luck with CBG and Carzone in the past

Options
  • 04-01-2008 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi boys and girls,
    Trying to sell my car at the moment, have little experience apart from a couple of years ago when I took ads out on both CBG and Carzone to sell my mint condition 01 Clio... I got a total of ZERO calls from both sites. I probably had it priced too high or whatever, but ended up getting the trade price I wanted as a trade-in.

This isn't an option this time, as I'm importing from Japan so I definitely need to sell it myself. Has anyone had much luck with Autotrader.ie or their magazine? I'm in Dundalk in Louth, if that helps (probably not!).

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

How many miles has it got, does it have NCT or service history, did you take many decent photos of it when trying to sell it, these factors will all help make the car more attractive to a purchaser.

Normally the reason you get no enquiries is there's much better advertised cars than yours listed, either because they have the ad better worded and presented or because they are selling a better car. I've seen ads on carzone where the photos are taken at night or of the car with mud running down the side of it, when people see these type of ads the general impression would be not to bother enquiring about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Shamrogue

You could always try the adverts.ie motor FS site. Post up your car and details there and see are any other boardsees interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭iTom

Well I have sold a few from the trader and I think you will get a better responce from them than you will from the other two you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    I've seen ads on carzone where the photos are taken at night or of the car with mud running down the side of it

Did you put up photos at all?? I wouldn't even open ads with no photos.

By having the car 10% overpriced, you will get absolutely no calls most of the time. If you are selling this one for a reasonable price I wouldn't go past carzone tbh. The overwhelming majority of the links in the motors forum are carzone's.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭reitoei

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    How many miles has it got, does it have NCT or service history, did you take many decent photos of it when trying to sell it, these factors will all help make the car more attractive to a purchaser.

Normally the reason you get no enquiries is there's much better advertised cars than yours listed, either because they have the ad better worded and presented or because they are selling a better car. I've seen ads on carzone where the photos are taken at night or of the car with mud running down the side of it, when people see these type of ads the general impression would be not to bother enquiring about it.

Yeah, when I was selling the Clio I took good photos of it, after a wash on a nice sunny day. I looked at all the other ads and made what I thought was a good stab at it, but obviously wasn't good enough. The way I set the price was looked at all the similar Clios that were on there at the time, found the ones most similar to my spec, year and mileage, then took a price from the average.

The car I'm selling at the moment is has full service history, NCT is fine as it's a 2005, new tires and it's getting a service before I sell it. It's pretty much mint, but I'm definitely going to make a better job of the photos this time. It should sell itself, hopefully!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

put it up a link here might help to give some pointers.

louie wrote: »
    put it up a link here might help to give some pointers.

Don't have the ad up yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

you said you have it on Carzone.

The car I'm currently selling is a 2005 Corolla Strata (top spec) 1.4vvti petrol, alloys, electric windows, central locking, cd player with 46,000 miles on the clock. I'd like to get around 15-16k.

louie wrote: »
    you said you have it on Carzone.

I HAD a car up on carzone in the past and didn't get any calls about it, hence why I'm asking for advice here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

reitoei wrote: »
    I HAD a car up on carzone in the past and didn't get any calls about it, hence why I'm asking for advice here :)

Check out some of the 'last updated' dates there. There's a lot of people who put cars up on an if it makes this much basis. There's a lot of cars for sale from garages with warranties etc. which are of course more expensive than private sales. An average price using the overpriced ones and the trade ones for comparison will set you wrong.

I have a feeling 15k-16k is a little strong- you might get it but you'll probably have to wait for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

reitoei wrote: »
    2005 Corolla Strata (top spec)
    Strata is second from the bottom. There were Luna, Sol and T Sport versions above the Corolla Strata.

Looking at Carzone, €17,000 is what you could hope for. If it's in mint condition it should sell itself on pictures alone(it is a Toyota after all).

E92 wrote: »
    Strata is second from the bottom. There were Luna, Sol and T Sport versions above the Corolla Strata.

Looking at Carzone, €17,000 is what you could hope for. If it's in mint condition it should sell itself on pictures alone(it is a Toyota after all).

I'd be de-loira with €17k if I could get it. Anyway, thanks for all the help guys :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Put it on eBay. Alot of cars in Ireland seem to get bids on it.

Advertisement