Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

RTE 6 O'Clock News

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

(I think the clip was recorded in Claregalway).

Your right .its the road from galway to claregalway N17

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Havent watched the clip yet (browsing via phone), but I know that if I saw a camera facing the road up ahead I wouldnt have done anything like that (wouldnt anyway). Just proves how much they were aware of what was ahead of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Crazy driving all right, (s)he could be done for any number of road traffic offences, and most likely will be as I can see this making one or two of the radio talk shows next week.

The bad weather had me thinking yesterday. Granted that kinda weather doesnt happen much but I dont think there is much/any training or documentation given to it in any of the pre driving test training that is done. Granted I realise this is the same for night/rain driving but the amount of people I spoke to yesterday at work who didnt know how to drive in those conditions was amazing. Now, common sense should generally prevail, but for those with little or no common sense it isnt good enough and really doesnt prepare people enough for what they could meet out there.
    I suppose it is one of the many issues with our systems in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

DonJose beware, the Guards only go for soft touches. They'll probably prosecute YOU for impersonating one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Actually didnt believe my eyes* when I saw it live. Thought I was hallucinating or had momentarily switched to Police CameraAction. When they didnt comment on it afterwards I wasnt sure. So thanks for the link.
    What I am still not sure of is regarding the lady commenting afterwards - was she commenting on this crazy driving or the bad road conditions, or was she in fact the driver in question. Her car seemed to be similar colour - though not visually clear on this clip.

On a good day this would have been suicidal. With snow and ice covered roads in heavy traffic they put the lives of many people at immense risk. Psychopathetic or mintal?

Which garda station covers this road, I suggest contacting them.
    This person should not be allowed to continue driving a car for a moment longer.

*Had a stern word with brain afterwards, as this is Ireland, this sort of extreme nonsense is to be expected, therefore brain needs to be more alert to the likelihood of having to take action avoiding such eventualities and not waste time in incredulity. What is difficult to believe is that a line of other cars didnt sheepily (lemmingly) follow suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

bazzer wrote: »
    DonJose beware, the Guards only go for soft touches. They'll probably prosecute YOU for impersonating one.

Could you translate that into something that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

What's there to say? You said you sent a mail to the Guards for reporting the driver on the RTE footage. In my opinion of the Guards, they would probably retort with something like "Leave the crime-detection to us" or "Don't take the law into your own hands".

It was a half-joke. Get it now? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Unfortunately, idiotic driving is rampant on that road. That section is Homes' Hill, which is a mile and a half straight with a lot of turn offs. That section was resurfaced and relined a couple of years ago, and it went from being a very saf, smooth section to a rough surface with crater like potholes and a very severe pull toward the ditch.

Where the guy in the VW did his mad overtake is where a woman was killed in a collision with a circus trailer a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Fey! wrote: »
    is where a woman was killed in a collision with a circus trailer a couple of years ago.
    There were two fatalaties at that accident - a mother and daughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

just saw that clip,unfortunatly that type of driving is an everyday occurance in this country and as always nothing is being done. probably an untouchable by the looks of things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

ok, are u sure that the film clip was filmed that particular morning. RTE has a habit of showing clips that could have been filmed last year or even 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Sweet divine....that is one crazy manouvere, no excuse what so ever for that. i doubt an ambulance with a seriously ill patient would have even tried that

I got the reply 'template' from the RSA regarding this

Thank you for contacting the Road Safety Authority. Your email will be
    forwarded to the appropriate person dealing with this matter and a
    response will be send to you in due course.

Kind Regards
    John Paul Guiheen
    RSA
    Moy Business Park
    Dublin Rd
    Ballina
    Co Mayo.
    Tel 096 25144

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Is there any way a member of the public could make a complaint to the Gardaí about this guy? RTÉ have the location and time. Surely they would have to action the complaint?

Most he would get is a ticket. E60 or E80 whatever it is and two penalty points for crossing a continous white line.

If they went with careless driving and a summons i suppose the judge would issue the same fine or maybe slightly higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

The Vento driver is obviously a selfish tw@t, but most of the other drivers in that section of the report are pathetic too - driving far too close to each other for the conditions - it would only take one of them braking a bit hard (eg: for the Vento-tw@t!) and they'd all be in a domino toppling-style heap :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

My cousin just got this reply from Garda.ie today:
    Dear Ms ****
    Thank-you for your recent e-mail. We are currently in the process of dealing with this matter.

Yours sincerely,

Karen O’Brien

I got their 'automated response also'

Dear Mr. XXXXX,

Thank-you for your recent e-mail. We are currently in the process of
    dealing with this matter.

Yours sincerely,

Karen O'Brien

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

That was a crazy manouver and obviously nothing excuses it, but imo the driver of the 206 is also a major hazard. He/She is obviously causing an obstruction on some level oweing to the the packed line of frustrated drivers caught behind it.

Same thing here, they must have gotten a few emails about this lunatic.

Dear DonJose,

Thank-you for your recent email. We are currently in the process of
    dealing with this matter.

Yours sincerely,

Karen O'Brien

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Have nt seen the clip yet sounds like a nutter

FYI those that posted responses to mails they sent in RSA etc. should remove the names of the people who responded.

• Advertisement

Have nt seen the clip yet sounds like a nutter

FYI those that posted responses to mails they sent in RSA etc. should remove the names of the people who responded.

Why??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

hellboy99 wrote: »
    My cousin just got this reply from Garda.ie today:
    do garda.ie have a section to report to?would they not say contact local garda station?

do garda.ie have a section to report to?would they not say contact local garda station?

They have different email addresses for different departments, also the email address ending in @iol.ie I would also send to @garda.ie, for example the Press and Public Relations Office is gpro@iol.ie but I would also send an email to gpro@garda.ie as they seem to be slowly updating their email addresses.

http://www.garda.ie/email.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I couldn't tell you ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

DonJose wrote: »
    They have different email addresses for different departments, also the email address ending in @iol.ie I would also send to @garda.ie, for example the Press and Public Relations Office is gpro@iol.ie but I would also send an email to gpro@garda.ie as they seem to be slowly updating their email addresses.

http://www.garda.ie/email.html
    OK thanks didn't know that. Are issues followed up or do they just send auto replies

OK thanks didn't know that. Are issues followed up or do they just send auto replies

If its a serious matter ask for a department telephone number in your email. A person will reply to your email, its not a auto response.

I just received the following reply from the CEO of the Road Safety Authority,

"Thank you very much for your e-mail of 4th January 2008. I also saw the piece of footage on the Six One News involving the red Volkswagen. I have already highlighted the issue with An Garda Síochána and I thank you also for raising it with me."

DonJose wrote: »
    I just received the following reply from the CEO of the Road Safety Authority,

"Thank you very much for your e-mail of 4th January 2008. I also saw the piece of footage on the Six One News involving the red Volkswagen. I have already highlighted the issue with An Garda Síochána and I thank you also for raising it with me."

Got the same email word for word (as attachment)

Advertisement