Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ubuntu 64 Gutsy 4GB of Ram but can only see 2.7GB?

• 04-01-2008 7:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭

screenshotwm0.png
    As you can see above it seems to only recognise 2.7GB.
    Have searched google for the last hour and there doesn't
    seem to be a resolution to the problem.
    I figure i should be getting at least 3.2GB assuming the
    worst that the size is limited by the chipset etc.

The ram is showing up correctly in the bios.

Any linux experts familiar with this problem? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

If you havn't done it already , run top from a command prompt ( might be called console or similar)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=294211&page=2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Hope this is enough info from the Top command:

top - 19:13:42 up 19 min, 2 users, load average: 0.27, 0.28, 0.21
    Tasks: 117 total, 2 running, 115 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
    Cpu(s): 0.0%us, 1.0%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.0%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st
    Mem: 2837784k total, 1036084k used, 1801700k free, 60944k buffers
    Swap: 2996080k total, 0k used, 2996080k free, 482776k cached

What do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It's because the P4 northbridge chipset (every x86 chip prior to AMD64 and recent Intel chipsets) places the system memory space between 3Gb ad 4Gb. On systems with 4Gb RAM this renders the extra 1Gb unusable with a standard kernel. The rest of the loss must be due to other memory pools (shared memory graphics chipset?). Have a look in the dmesg to see what it says.

EDIT:

Re-read and realise that you are aware of the memory disappearing from 3.2Gb up.

If you're more interested in memory capacity than latency you could put a big iron kernel (or whatever Ubuntu calls it) on it which will have HIGH_MEM enabled.

ALSO:

I'd have a poke about in the BIOS and see if there are any tunable factors for the chipset. While you expected 3.2Gb to be left if you look you'll see as many people who ended up with only 2.7Gb. Perhaps whatever chipset configuration you have reserves more memory than 800Mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Yeah i read that it could possibly be chipset limited. I will probably have a poke around
    in the bios and see can i free the last 500 megs.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement