Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connor Lenihan & Immigration

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

sovtek wrote: »
    You know I think it's rich when Irish people get all xenophobic considering your diasporic tendencies.

Its not xenophobia to disagree with your take on things.
    Not anecdotes when they are FACTS!

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=21903

You sound like you could do with reading a few posts there and get a little education in immigration.

I would recommend the high court route if you have actual evidence of bias in our system.
    Most immigration officials I've encountered don't know where Nigeria is

Thats not really believable (or particularly relevant even if it were).
    much less that it's a politically unstable country that persecutes people for speaking out against the government. Oh and that a fair few Irish went there to take land from the natives when the British owned it.

Nigeria is not a country at war. You are trying to imply some kind of Irish responsibility for nigerias problems on the basis that you claim a 'few Irish' went there to take land from the natives when the British owned it'. Thats plain ridiculous imo. How about an Irish contractor in Iraq ? Would we bear a collective responsibility for that ?
    No I've lost patience with it as it's screwing tens of thousand of people who have followed the law and paid their taxes just to have an over priviledged, incompetant asshole try and send as many of us packing as possible and ignoring Irish law as well as EU law to do it.

I hope that attitude isnt how you approach the immigration people ? Again I would point out you are being treated infinitely more fairly than an equivalent Irish person in the united states would be - if they arrived without their paper work in order.
    It's in your interest to be in the EU and its your interest that your government treat everyone according to EU and Irish law.
    Its in Irish people's interest that you be able to move about freely within the EU and your potential partners/spouses be granted same.

Irish citizens are in the EU - we can move freely in the EU. If we decide we want to live in for example america or australia thats a different story. We do the research apply and meet the requirements then when our paper work is in order off we go. We dont arrive there and then bitch and moan endlessly.
    It's in your interest that immigrant workers that contribute heavily to your economy and pay more taxes than you do are treated fairly.

You say they are not but dont have any actual evidence beyond anecdotes and an internet board where immigrants share experiences.
    I DO LIVE HERE!!!! I can slag them off because I help pay for them. Your mr lenihan IS costing you and I (in addition to the same taxes you pay I also have to pay a tax in the form of the EUR100 for the GNIB card every year) millions when he subverts Irish and EU law as the article above so states.

Really getting sick of immigrants bitching and moaning about having to pay €100 for their GNIB card. Get over it. Its not the end of the world. It is proper that you pay it rather than me in more taxes. We are already paying to house feed and clothe every bogus asylum seeker in this country so you having to pay for your gnib card out of your salary - I can live with that. If the Irish govt is breaking the law - as mentioned this country's army of idiotic do -gooders and scumsucking solicitors will look to make money and a name from that by taking it to court.
    My attitude is colored by your govenments treatment of me and thousands like me. Conor Lenihan wants us foreigners to integrate. Do you think we are likley to do that if he is trying to screw us?

By making you wait while your application is assessed ?

Any Irish person who has to deal with the 'aparatus' of the state will know that it can be painful. There is ass-covering, incompetence and transferring around in general. There is a bit of a mis-step in logic though if you see all of the above and then assume that its because the system is prejudiced.

Speaking of Irish immigrants in the US. Bertie is trying to have the illegals Irish treated all special unlike the same illegals here in Ireland.

I believe he is - lets not forget those people have worked and did not draw a single penny from the american welfare system.
    Most definitely if the person running the system is trying to break Irish and EU law to do it. That my friend is the very definition of systematic bias.

Court - take it to.
    Where are all these welfare tourists? I can tell you that right now I am in need of social welfare as I was unfairly dismissed recently. However I cannot claim it as I will lose my citizenship claim. That's in spite of me paying into PAYE for 8 years and being legally entitled to it.

If you cannot do what you are legally entitled to do (and your version of what you are legally entitled to do ties with reality) and someone or some thing is preventing you then a crime is being committed - take it to the guards/court.

No I will not just have to live with it. And the evidence is that your government is breaking the law! I will get together with like minded people and do what it legally takes to make them answerable to the law and I will do my best to educate the ignorant.

Go for it.
    People waiting for LTR and citizenship are not bleeding anyone dry and again THEY ARE PAYING MORE TAX THAN YOU ARE. They cannot claim unemployment benefits.
    It takes a few minutes to check a computer for everything. I worked for a company that processes J1 applications. The criteria are much more stringent and yet 1 person could process thousands of applications a month. Again civil servants may be lazy but you can't realistically say that's what is going on.

If by paying more tax than you mean they pay for their own card - then thats just too bad.
    I've given you plenty of evidence of systematic bias. You are perfectly free to ignore it but it does your argument no good.

We can disagree on the so called evidence here.
    I see no evidence that Ireland is taking in a record amount of refugees and the immigrants to your country contribute more than they take away. And you may not like this...but we do have rights.

This is going to be hard to prove (no evidence that Ireland has taken in a record amount of refugees and the immigrants)

This all reminds me of an episode of kolchak where the newspaper editor says to the intrepid reporter 'Come back when you have some real evidence karl'. Not to be dismissive of your post but the same could equally apply here. You have provided anecdotes and a link to an board where immigrants share experiences and bitch and moan.

You have a theory or a belief that our system is prejudiced but you have no evidence other than delays, answers in the negative as opposed to the positive and the fact that your case among others hasnt been resolved yet. That is not evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Morlar wrote: »
    I do take issue with repeated, hopeless - countless appeals.
    This doesn't happen in reality, because no solicitor will take a "hopeless" case.
    Do you mean if citizenship were granted then there would be no need for appeals ?
    I think what he is saying is that it would appear that applications are not being properly assessed by the first instance committee, judging by the large number of applicants who are granted refugee status on appeal.
    Currently non-EU spouses of EU nationals are being denied residency because they did not reside in another Member State first
    If this is true, then it is against Irish law, never mind EU law. Your country of origin should not have any bearing on your application. Why would an EU citizen need to apply for Irish citizenship?
    The INIS is rejecting citizenship and LTR applications for pretty much any reason they want to as they have "ministerial discretion".
    Unfortunately, there is not a whole lot that can be done about that, as there is no longer an absolute entitlement to citizenship through marriage (possibly to combat "false" marriages).
    While the last two are taking 3 years and 1 1/2 years respectively to process
    If this is true then I would agree that this is a ridiculous length of time to process any application. How much is this excess costing the taxpayer I wonder?
    The system itself is set up to allow ANY bias that an individual immigration official might have.
    This would certainly seem to be the case - citizenship law seems to be a bit of a grey area, as evidenced by Citizens Information:
    "In order to apply for naturalisation in Ireland, you must have been physically resident in Ireland for a certain length of time."
    If immigration officials have leeway to use their considerable experience to ferret out false stories for whatever reason I would be more inclined to take their word for it in all honesty as they are the ones who see and hear all the bogus stories on a daily basis.
    Do you not think it would make sense to have a little more clarification in so far as the law is concerned? If nothing else, it may speed up the application process and reduce costs. Leaving the decision in the hands of one person (if that is the case) seems very unfair to me.
    This is the immigration system of Ireland
    This is about citizenship, not immigration - he's already here, remember?!?
    If an american or any potential immigrant doesnt agree with the way its run then then they are free to go home.
    Should his wife leave too?
    I dont see how just because you want to live here...
    He already lives here.
    ...you feel you should be given a clean run at slagging off our institutions that cost us millions each year and that work in the interests of Irish people but also as a result of you wanting to live here.
    These institutions cost sovtek money too and they work in the interests of all Irish residents, not just Irish people.
    I think there are legitimate concerns that the system is there to address and bogus immgirants and welfare tourism etc are serious enough that I can live with a waiting list stretching into years and years to be honest.
    Again, this is about citizenship, not immigration as such. Would you not like to see a reduction in the time taken in the processing of these applications so as to reduce the cost to the taxpayer?
    Ireland has taken in a record amount of immigrants /refugees in the shortest time imaginable and put this country through an incredibly rapid change that we are still trying to get accustomed to. This is evident in the fact that our schools for example are simply not able to handle it.
    Ireland has taken in a record number of refugees? What sort of record? As for the schools, that is another matter entirely, i.e. appalling planning.
    Again I would point out you are being treated infinitely more fairly than an equivalent Irish person in the united states would be - if they arrived without their paper work in order.
    Actually, I went through US immigration in California recently with my wife and we had forgotten to fill in a section on a form. The immigration official was extremely polite and courteous and we had absolutely no hassle getting through what-so-ever.

There have of course been other occasions when I have encountered utter assholes - it depends on who you get.
    If we decide we want to live in for example america or australia thats a different story. We do the research apply and meet the requirements then when our paper work is in order off we go.
    You can't really compare the Irish system with the American in particular, which is basically just a lottery as far as I can tell. It's certainly not a system we should aspire to.
    We are already paying to house feed and clothe every bogus asylum seeker in this country so you having to pay for your gnib card out of your salary - I can live with that.
    I'm not sure what the connection is between the two? sovtek should have to pay for a GNIB card and asylum seekers cost money, so...
    lets not forget those people have worked and did not draw a single penny from the american welfare system.
    Yeah, they're all little angels :rolleyes:

Let's not forget that they have not paid a penny in taxes either.

sovtek, may I ask what you do/did for a living? Feel free to ignore the question - just curious (from an economic perspective!)

djpbarry wrote: »
    This doesn't happen in reality, because no solicitor will take a "hopeless" case.

Wrong & this has already been covered in other threads - see 'under-employed solicitors rolling the dice'.
    I think what he is saying is that it would appear that applications are not being properly assessed by the first instance committee, judging by the large number of applicants who are granted refugee status on appeal.
    I thought he already clarified what he was saying himself no?
    This is about citizenship, not immigration - he's already here, remember?!?

He does not have full legal residency which is a point I think you are aware of.
    Should his wife leave too?

I think she may be treated less fairly in the american system than this person is treated under the Irish system. Obviously it makes sense to check out the requirements before going - make the application and then when everything is in order at that point would it be ok to go.
    He already lives here.

When I said - he wants to live here - I referred to 'legally'. Pretty sure you knew what was meant there too.
    These institutions cost sovtek money too and they work in the interests of all Irish residents, not just Irish people.

They are there primarily to serve my interests as an Irish person - otherwise they would have an open door free for all. The point here was clear also.
    Again, this is about citizenship, not immigration as such. Would you not like to see a reduction in the time taken in the processing of these applications so as to reduce the cost to the taxpayer?

As I said there are legitimate concerns that the system is there to address and bogus immgirants and welfare tourism etc are serious enough that I can live with a waiting list stretching into years and years to be honest. :)
    Ireland has taken in a record number of refugees? What sort of record?

What are you actually trying to say here ? Splitting hairs or have an actual point?
    As for the schools, that is another matter entirely, i.e. appalling planning.

No - schools are an indicator of the amount of immigrants coming to this country. This seems obvious to me - hence when I said 'put this country through an incredibly rapid change that we are still trying to get accustomed to. This is evident in the fact that our schools for example are simply not able to handle it."
    Actually, I went through US immigration in California recently with my wife and we had forgotten to fill in a section on a form. The immigration official was extremely polite and courteous and we had absolutely no hassle getting through what-so-ever.

Tourism and immigration as you know are 2 different things. No one is saying that the americans working in immigration are necessarily impolite - just that there rules are more strict. If you go there without paperwork in order you will be deported at your own expense.
    There have of course been other occasions when I have encountered utter assholes - it depends on who you get.
    You can't really compare the Irish system with the American in particular, which is basically just a lottery as far as I can tell.

Yes you can of course compare the 2 different systems. How Irish people are treated when immigrating to the United states (or australia) and in this case how an american wanting to immigrate to Ireland is treated in our system - that is a valid comparison in my book.
    It's certainly not a system we should aspire to.

Why not ? You were just saying how delightful they are to deal with. I think there are elements of their system that would be useful in our context.

I think she may be treated less fairly in the american system than this person is treated under the Irish system.
    I don't see what that has to do with anything?
    When I said - he wants to live here - I referred to 'legally'.
    I don't remember him saying he was here illegally? From what he has said, he appears to be doing his utmost not to invalidate his application for citizenship.
    They are there primarily to serve my interests as an Irish person - otherwise they would have an open door free for all.
    No they are not. They are there to serve the interests of everyone living in Ireland, Irish or not.
    As I said there are legitimate concerns that the system is there to address and bogus immgirants and welfare tourism etc are serious enough that I can live with a waiting list stretching into years and years to be honest. :)
    I'm not sure what a "bogus immigrant" is or how it applies to this situation. Besides, this is somewhat at odds with a post of yours earlier:
    "We are already paying to house feed and clothe every bogus asylum seeker in this country..."
    So, based on this, you are more than happy to have huge waiting lists for citizenship applications, costing the taxpayer far more than they ought to, but you complain about the cost of asylum seekers, which is largely a result of the delay in processing their applications? Bit of a double-standard, no?
    What are you actually trying to say here ? Splitting hairs or have an actual point?
    You said that Ireland has taken in a record number of immigrants/refugees. I asked, quite reasonably, with respect to refugees, what sort of record are we talking about? I am not aware of Ireland breaking any records with respect to refugee intake recently.
    No - schools are an indicator of the amount of immigrants coming to this country.
    :confused:
    Schools in this country were bursting at the seams long before we had an influx of immigrants. I remember being in a school in west Dublin 10 years ago that had almost 1,000 students when it was only built for 750. The point is that there is a lack of school places in this country because of atrocious planning. If you build a large residential development and don't build any new schools nearby, then it doesn't matter who moves into the new houses, whether they are from Leitrim or Laos, there's still going to be a chronic shortage of school places at some point in the very near future.
    If you go there without paperwork in order you will be deported at your own expense.
    And I am telling you from my own experience, this is not the case. I have travelled to the US several times (once to work there) and although I have encountered rather obnoxious immigration officials on more than one occasion, I have yet to be deported, or refused entry, or whatever way you want to put it.
    Yes you can of course compare the 2 different systems. How Irish people are treated when immigrating to the United states (or australia) and in this case how an american wanting to immigrate to Ireland is treated in our system - that is a valid comparison in my book.
    So basically you're saying that just because an Irish person is likely to be treated badly by the US immigration system, then we should be spiteful and treat potential US immigrants poorly? Or are you saying that US immigrants to Ireland should be grateful that our country treats them better than their country would treat us under similar circumstances? Either way, it still does not justify having what looks like a very inefficient system.
    Why not ? You were just saying how delightful they are to deal with.
    I was obviously talking about one particular official, not the system as a whole.
    I think there are elements of their system that would be useful in our context.
    Such as?

I don't see what that has to do with anything?

Comparing other countries immigration procedures and their system with our own.
    I don't remember him saying he was here illegally? From what he has said, he appears to be doing his utmost not to invalidate his application for citizenship.

Fingers crossed some day you invalidate yours :) I think you meant validate there - or to put it another less hair splitting kind of way to make legal and above board.
    No they are not. They are there to serve the interests of everyone living in Ireland, Irish or not.

Again with the hair splitting. My original post said that they were there primarily in my interests but also in the interests of potential immigrants. You could probably split hairs for Ireland. Aside from splitting hairs do you actually have a point ? Ever ?
    I'm not sure what a "bogus immigrant" is or how it applies to this situation..

Someone who has no intention of working or contributing to our economy.
    Besides, this is somewhat at odds with a post of yours earlier:
    "We are already paying to house feed and clothe every bogus asylum seeker in this country..."
    So, based on this, you are more than happy to have huge waiting lists for citizenship applications, costing the taxpayer far more than they ought to, but you complain about the cost of asylum seekers, which is largely a result of the delay in processing their applications? Bit of a double-standard, no?

Thats not a double standard though it does seem too complicated for you to understand. Properly assessed applications cut down on fraud - in the immediate short term this may mean longer waiting lists for applicants but in the long run it cuts down on years and years of fraud. If you still honestly dont understand that I suggest asking a grown up.
    Schools in this country were bursting at the seams long before we had an influx of immigrants

The massive intake of people into this country has contributed to the overcrowding problem in our schools system. You can make the point that better planning may have helped to alleviate it - but if you are trying to say there is no connection I would disagree.
    And I am telling you from my own experience, this is not the case. I have travelled to the US several times (once to work there) and although I have encountered rather obnoxious immigration officials on more than one occasion, I have yet to be deported, or refused entry, or whatever way you want to put it.

If you go there to live with your paper work in order - and you are discovered you will be deported.
    So basically you're saying that just because an Irish person is likely to be treated badly by the US immigration system, then we should be spiteful and treat potential US immigrants poorly?

The only person saying 'should be spiteful' in this thread is you. I dont recall saying that the americans were spiteful either.
    Or are you saying that US immigrants to Ireland should be grateful that our country treats them better than their country would treat us under similar circumstances?

Given a choice of that and the constant 'complain complain complain' - whining and bitching then yes they should be grateful.

• Advertisement

The original point you made was that if he doesn't like the way the system works here then he can just go home. I said that it's not that simple because he has married an Irish woman (I am assuming). You then began comparing immigration systems?
    I think you meant validate there
    No, I'm quite sure I meant what I said. You implied that he was living here illegally - I said that based on what we have been told, that seems unlikely.
    I see. And how many of these people have been granted citizenship in the past?
    Properly assessed applications cut down on fraud - in the immediate short term this may mean longer waiting lists for applicants but in the long run it cuts down on years and years of fraud.
    I never said otherwise. The point I am making is that you seem unhappy with the length of time spent assessing applications for asylum. Why should is it ok to spend so much time processing one and not the other?

It is generally much easier to do a background check on someone applying for citizenship than it is someone who is applying for asylum, mainly because a citizenship applicant has been living here for some time. There is no reason why their application cannot be "properly assessed" in a much shorter time than is currently the case (and hence reduce the cost to the taxpayer). You seem to be assuming that time-consuming = properly assessed.
    You can make the point that better planning may have helped to alleviate it...
    Alleviate? Proper planning would have meant that the problem would never have existed in the first place!
    If you go there to live with your paper work in order - and you are discovered you will be deported.
    I assume you meant to say "If you go there to live without your paper work in order...". So basically you are saying that if an illegal immigrant is discovered in the US, they will be deported. That is different to Ireland how?
    Given a choice of that and the constant 'complain complain complain' - whining and bitching then yes they should be grateful.
    They should be grateful that the Irish immigration system is ridiculously inefficient because you’re tired of people complaining about ridiculously inefficient systems?

The original point you made was that if he doesn't like the way the system works here then he can just go home. I said that it's not that simple because he has married an Irish woman (I am assuming). You then began comparing immigration systems?

Anyone doesnt like it here is free to leave. The point was made that his wife (as an Irish peson presumably) in the american immigration system may find it more strict than an american person would find ours. Therefore should check requirements in advance - be sure to meet them - get paperwork in order BEFORE buying the plane tickets and physically moving there.
    And how many of these people have been granted citizenship in the past?

Are you trying to imply that unless somone has the exact numbers then whats being discusses isnt the case ? That seems a flimsy starting point as a basis for your contention.

The point I am making is that you seem unhappy with the length of time spent assessing applications for asylum. Why should is it ok to spend so much time processing one and not the other?

Meanwhile on earth what was being put forward by sovtek was that our system was prejudiced. The basis for this was a couple of anecdotes and an immigrant board which is apparently full of bitching and whining. This is not evidence. I said that if delays in assessing applications help to cut down on fraud then I can live with that.
    They should be grateful that the Irish immigration system is ridiculously inefficient because you’re tired of people complaining about ridiculously inefficient systems?

'Earth to matilda' is a phrase that springs to mind on reading that. That is obviously not what I said- that is what you are claiming that I said which seems to be a habit of yours. Along with splitting hairs and being pedantic to the molecular degree. There is a difference between what I said and what you say that I said. I notice that for the more outlandish things you stop quoting and start paraphrasing.

Anyone doesnt like it here is free to leave.
    But that is not really an option; as you have already said, it is likely that his wife will have problems getting into the US on a permanent basis.

Aside from that, we have no idea what his wife does - she could be a TD for all we know! Perhaps she is not in a position to leave. Perhaps her leaving would be hugely detrimental to her place of work, which (presumably) would be bad for our economy.

In short, this is not a viable option in my opinion.
    Are you trying to imply that unless somone has the exact numbers then whats being discusses isnt the case ?
    What I am saying is that I have not seen evidence of foreign-nationals being granted citizenship here and then illegally exploiting the state (in the form of welfare fraud).

Considering the vast majority of welfare fraud is committed by Irish nationals, it would make more sense to overhaul the social welfare system to tackle this problem. Even if we were to stop non-EU nationals from entering the country, welfare fraud would still be a massive problem. Fraud is a criminal issue rather than an immigration issue.

Besides, how can you tell if someone is going to commit fraud?
    I said that if delays in assessing applications help to cut down on fraud then I can live with that.
    But delays in assessing applications for asylum are unacceptable? You yourself said (on the asylum process):
    "It costs a fortune in time and effort of everyone involved and ties up the system."
    Why are applications for citizenship any different?
    That is obviously not what I said- that is what you are claiming that I said
    You are basically saying that he should shut up, deal with it and be grateful that we don't deport his ass.

Suppose I apply for permanent residence in say, Australia. Suppose after 12 months I hear nothing from Australian immigration. I ring them and they tell me that my application is being processed. 6 months later, I've heard nothing more, so I ring them again - they tell me my application is being processed. This continues indefinitely. Should I be grateful that their system is not any worse? Of course not. I am perfectly within my rights to tell every Australian I meet that there immigration system is a farce - the fact that I am not Australian has nothing to do with it.

But that is not really an option; .....this is not a viable option in my opinion.

Key phrase here being 'in my opinion'. The point here is that there is an alternative to endlessly bitching and moaning and claiming that our system is prejudiced. If its so traumatic and problematic then there is a plan b option.

I would not actually suggest (or more importantly hope) that his wife would leave the country - but that he has that option if our system is so 'prejudiced'. To the best of my knowldege there are complex rules about Irish people marrying non Irish nationals and the area of citizenship being granted - its unfortunate that the rules are required but only a fool would say they are not required.

I can honestly say I would prefer a situation where automatic citizenship was a possibility - however I believe if that were the case it would be massively abused.
    What I am saying is that I have not seen evidence of foreign-nationals being granted citizenship here and then illegally exploiting the state (in the form of welfare fraud).

If you havent seen it it didnt happen ? Of course it happens - I am not even going to get dragged down that route. We can agree to disagree if you are contending that there is not and never has been any welfare fraud commited in ireland by non irish born people. Your being ridiculous if thats what your trying to say.
    Fraud is a criminal issue rather than an immigration issue.

When its commited by immigrants it is an immigration issue and a criminal issue.
    You are basically saying that he should shut up, deal with it and be grateful that we don't deport his ass.

I think a comparative analysis to how an equivalent irish peson in the same situation looking to immigrate to america or australia may put things in perspective.

Having that perspective might cut down the allegations of prejudice and complaining about how long it takes, or, how much of his paperwork or that he has to pay for his gnib card.
    Suppose I apply for permanent residence in say, Australia.

Do you mean applying while in your home country or by just going there?

We can agree to disagree if you are contending that there is not and never has been any welfare fraud commited in ireland by non irish born people.
    I never said that. We are not talking about immigrants here; we are talking about non-Irish born people who have been granted Irish citizenship. I am saying that I am not aware of any major welfare fraud involving non-Irish born individuals who at some point in their lives became Irish citizens.
    When its commited by immigrants it is an immigration issue and a criminal issue.
    I'll agree to disagree. Personally I think it would prove far more fruitful to invest this time and effort in reforming the social welfare system to protect it from abuse by both Irish and non-Irish nationals.
    Do you mean applying while in your home country or by just going there?
    I mean applying in my home country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

I didn't compare the Irish system with the American. What I did do was point out that it is hypocritical for Bertie go to America to ask that Irish illegals be treated different than other illegals in America whilst allowing the abysmal treatment of legals in his own country. It should also give an Irish person pause before they start bitching about illegals in their own country, much less legal ones.

Unless you are an asylum seeker or holiday maker you have to work to live in Ireland. You have to have a work permit and take it to the GNIB every year (or two years in some cases) and pay EUR 100 for the card that you are required to have as a non-eu national living in ireland (until you get LTR or citizenship).
    Therefore there is no such thing as welfare sponger in regards to anyone applying for citizenship or LTR that has been on a work permit. They have also had to live here for five years or more before getting such and therefore have already contributed heavily in taxes, including the immigrant tax, before receiving a permanent status.

Thats not a double standard though it does seem too complicated for you to understand. Properly assessed applications cut down on fraud - in the immediate short term this may mean longer waiting lists for applicants but in the long run it cuts down on years and years of fraud. If you still honestly dont understand that I suggest asking a grown up.

Lenihan is not even claiming that they are trying to do this. His only excuse is that they have had an increase in applicants that has caused. He however would not answer what he was doing to bring the length in processing applications down.
    I also linked to an article where the journalist showed how they are systematically refusing non-eu nationals as spouses of eu nationals residency because they have not lived in another state first. This is their stated policy after the Kumar case (google if you want info). This is a violation of the Maastricht Treaty and the freedom of movement of EU nationals and their family members.
    They are also refusing to answer how many people they have compensated for doing this and how much it is costing the state nor why they are settling cases out of court and still using the same policy. As well they are asking for anyone settling to sign a confidentiality agreement.

So after making our contribution to the economy, keeping our work permits up and paying our taxes we ask that the criteria we met for residency and citizenship be recognized in good faith by the Irish government in a timely manner and with transparency is "bitching and whining"?
    That the systematic denial of non-eu spouses be stopped as it is illegal is the same?
    Screw that. I am going to bitch and moan all day long and you are going to have to hear it until something changes.

If this is true, then it is against Irish law, never mind EU law. Your country of origin should not have any bearing on your application. Why would an EU citizen need to apply for Irish citizenship?

There are different reasons for EU nationals to apply for citizenship of another EU country. That's not what I am talking about though. It's non-eu nationals applying for residency as spouses of eu nationals. They are being denied because Lenihan thinks he can do this because of one case in the High Court..Kumar. They are applying it to everyone now.
    You put that together with the seemingly intentional slow down of of LTR applications as well as citizenship then it looks like they are just trying to get rid of foreigners.
    Unfortunately, there is not a whole lot that can be done about that, as there is no longer an absolute entitlement to citizenship through marriage (possibly to combat "false" marriages).

There is if you've been here 5 of the eight years previous and been legally resident here.
    If this is true then I would agree that this is a ridiculous length of time to process any application. How much is this excess costing the taxpayer I wonder?

I'm not sure but I remember reading that after the GNIB card fee they are making a half million euro profit over their budget.

sovtek, may I ask what you do/did for a living? Feel free to ignore the question - just curious (from an economic perspective!)

I'm a Systems/Network Administrator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Sovtek,

is the price of the GNIB card €100 or €1000? I heard someone on the radio last week I think, saying that it was €1,000. :eek:

is the price of the GNIB card €100 or €1000? I heard someone on the radio last week I think, saying that it was €1,000. :eek:
    €100 according to the GNIB webpage. There'd be uproar if it were €1,000 and rightly so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

€100 according to the GNIB webpage. There'd be uproar if it were €1,000 and rightly so!

He was probably talking about Green Card application fee (with Department of Trade and Enterprise) which is €1000 :

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    He was probably talking about Green Card application fee (with Department of Trade and Enterprise) which is €1000 :

A green card or a work permit. Thing is it used to be the company that had to pay that. It was illegal for the worker to pay it. Now they say either or.
    The GNIB fee has always been back to us though. The GNIB card actually allows you to stay in Ireland and is mandatory.

€1,000 for a ****ing permit!!! :eek:
    That's ****ing insane! It's amazing anyone wants to come here and work at all!

It was €500 when I first moved here. Now they are as much as €1500.

Now they are as much as €1500.
    Yeah, I just saw this on the webpage. That's every 2 years? What do you get for your money?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

So I hadn't entirely misheard.
    Still too expensive though.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I just saw this on the webpage. That's every 2 years? What do you get for your money?

To be at the whim of someone else until you get your citizenship or LTR.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

There are different reasons for EU nationals to apply for citizenship of another EU country. That's not what I am talking about though. It's non-eu nationals applying for residency as spouses of eu nationals. They are being denied because Lenihan thinks he can do this because of one case in the High Court..Kumar. They are applying it to everyone now.
    You put that together with the seemingly intentional slow down of of LTR applications as well as citizenship then it looks like they are just trying to get rid of foreigners.

There is if you've been here 5 of the eight years previous and been legally resident here. .

there is an entitlement to apply. but there is no ABSOLUTE entitlement to get it. you must be of good character (ie no convictions) be self sufficent (no claims of social welfare such as unemployment benefit three years prior to applications) , continous residency in the state (cant have too many big gaps between expiry of one residency and renewal of new residency)there must be no issues regarding public policy or common good to grant citizenship (vague yes)

with regard to citizenship via marriage (sole ground for such application) the decision to grant citizenship will be on the basis that there is a subsisting marriage and you have live in ireland with spouse for 3 years. of course legal residency afer 5 years one would apply on that fact alone

its crazy and then they must also prove that they will be earning over or around €30k. moreover certain sectors such as catering/hotel are not elgible regardless of rank. this is to ensure people of irish citizenship and citizens from member states get access to these jobs first. its the attitude of the dept that such jobs can be easily filled by either the irish or european as oppose to the non european

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

Walrus, you're right, there's no automatic entitlement to citizenship, as the minister for justice would like to point out in any debate in the dail...

However for people like Sovtek and many other legal immigrant that is not the problem. All they want is the assessment of their character and the decision by minister (yes/no) would be done in a timely manner, and not through a 30+ month backlog. They are entitled to that! If the minister wants to tell them NO (for reasons such as not good character etc), that's his discretion. But having them hang around for 3 years (after they have been here legally for at least 5 years, are in employment and paid taxes like anyone else) for that is insane, inhumane, and worse than any immigration system anywhere in the world!

Walrus, you're right, there's no automatic entitlement to citizenship, as the minister for justice would like to point out in any debate in the dail...

However for people like Sovtek and many other legal immigrant that is not the problem. All they want is the assessment of their character and the decision by minister (yes/no) would be done in a timely manner, and not through a 30+ month backlog. They are entitled to that! If the minister wants to tell them NO (for reasons such as not good character etc), that's his discretion. But having them hang around for 3 years (after they have been here legally for at least 5 years, are in employment and paid taxes like anyone else) for that is insane, inhumane, and worse than any immigration system anywhere in the world!

oh i know, when i made that comment i picked the wrong quote he had referred to. but absolutely, 6 months to maybe one year should be sufficent. no longer than a year. they have rights under the constitution and echr to be assessed in a fair, just and timely manner. and thankfuly our courts of law recognise that by orders of mandamus(sp) they should also be allowed the oppurtunity of addressing issues brought up by the minister and processed in a timely manner (something that it not done) thus leading to all those court cases mr conor lenihan was whinging about (cases can be on the asylum list for up to 1 - 2 years)

whilst its important to that great care in processing the applications between the dept, social welfare and gnib,i very much doubt all the authorised officers dealing with the applications have legal experience, why can't they not hire more staff or seeking temporary transferale of other civil servants to the dept to speed things up?

lenihan has the cheeck to whinge about the court cases and the lawyers. if they were doing there jobs right people would not be in this mess.

Great! Instead of setting out how he is going to decrease the year and a half wait time on LTR and 3 years on Citizenship...Lenihan is now introducing a requirement for police certificates for all applicants of LTR RETROACTIVELY for every country the applicant has lived in. Now for myself that means I have to get one from the effe bee eye and the SAPS in South Africa. The FBI clearance alone takes at least 12 weeks. That adds months to my already ridiculous wait...and after being here for almost 8 years. The request is not stated in the requirements and only comes "at the end of the process" so as to ensure to increase the wait time.
    This is obviously meant to be the outcome. Why doesn't he just come out and say that he wants to get rid of as many foreigners as he can?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Think I'm going to need to pay the SAPS a visit as well to get one of these certs... Hope to hell I don't have to actually go back to SA to get it done...

Been here 7 years myself, and upon seeing the 3 year backlog I probably should have applied for citizenship ages ago... Ah well.

Mena wrote: »
    Think I'm going to need to pay the SAPS a visit as well to get one of these certs... Hope to hell I don't have to actually go back to SA to get it done...

Been here 7 years myself, and upon seeing the 3 year backlog I probably should have applied for citizenship ages ago... Ah well.

Tell me about it. I had to wait a while as I was in SA for a year in that time and had to be here a year prior to applying. I was in shock last year when I thought I would no longer need a work permit when applying for LTR. I mistakenly read the Immigrant Council info on it and it said it took a couple of months. About the time my work permit was up I started wondering when I was going to hear back. I then found out that it was taking more than a year. I could not believe it. Now it looks like it might never happen, and I'm sure they are going to initially reject it for whatever reason. They will come up with something. After loosing my job a couple of months ago I'm in complete limbo at this point.
    It makes one think it's not worth it after all this time...I aint getting any younger at this point. Of course I think this is the desired effect Lenihan is going for.

Great! Instead of setting out how he is going to decrease the year and a half wait time on LTR and 3 years on Citizenship...Lenihan is now introducing a requirement for police certificates for all applicants of LTR RETROACTIVELY for every country the applicant has lived in. Now for myself that means I have to get one from the effe bee eye and the SAPS in South Africa. The FBI clearance alone takes at least 12 weeks. That adds months to my already ridiculous wait...and after being here for almost 8 years. The request is not stated in the requirements and only comes "at the end of the process" so as to ensure to increase the wait time.
    This is obviously meant to be the outcome. Why doesn't he just come out and say that he wants to get rid of as many foreigners as he can?

the state's attitude is to uphold common good and interest of common security etc (you know this)unlike members of the eu state, it is difficult for the gardai to ascertain an non eu's possible past criminal conviction. you have heard about the difficulties one has entering the us or australia if they have a crimianal past in particular in areas such as drugs. how they are able o tell, i do not know, as i am not in the gardai nor am i an immigration officer. in ireland's case, it is up to the applicant to produce all documentary evidence to show they are of good character and conduct and that they have never come to the adverse attention of their national police/security. (imagine the inis been left to do this- you know what would happen) small price to pay.

if its retrospective, that is a bit unfair, it should just apply to new applications.

the union is after all very concern with you they let in now. moreover, the dept have made it clear that a non national (non eu or non eea national), has no absolute right to enter this state (same attitude everywhere else). you can see from the minister's comments recently on the publication of the new bill that he has stated/re-affirmed mcdowell that ireland cant be a place where anyone can just decide to move to. they make it clear that it only wants skilled people etc - hence the so called reward of long term residency -albeit the punishment of making one wait 2-3 years waiting for it, thus leaving work permit holders in a weak postion in that they cant swith employers as they need to remain legal.

then of course is the issue that these ltr are not permanent unlike the rest of the eu. (maybe it allows dept not issue a renewal if country goes bust or decide new policies in the future? but what is dept really going to do then?, say to a person who has legally lived and worked and established (with possiblity of one oft their children been eligible for irish citizenship) themselves in the state for over 6 years to go home? hardily. if concerned apply for citizenship, as far as irish law is concerned it does not prevent one from holding dual citizenship

(please do not think this is me saying everyone is subject to suspicion or that i agree or disagree with the dept policy. it is only my 2 cent on my the dept feel a need for it and my humble interpretation of the latest comments of the minister, which looking at dept policy over the past few years has been consistent - albeit they fail to tell everyone else)

if a foreign national wished to start a business in this country and does not already have residency on the basis of a stamp 4, he or she will require a business permit.(again i am sure you are aware of this) one of the many requirements includes that person requiring such a police clearance from his or her country.

with regard to the clearance, i assume you already have ltr? i assume you believe that you will require a clearance? if that was the case surely you will only need to do this once. other thing, would it not be wise to make an application to the relevant police authorities for such a clearance well before you make an application for long term residency ,thus actually have it at the time of making the application. maybe do it when you are about 50-57 months clocked as reckonable residency. would that be such a harsh requirement? would that not be prudent - prevent the dept from making excuses of delay in your application in that you provided them with everything in one go?

• Advertisement

Mena wrote: »

contact your embassy (sp) to seek advice as to whether or not the relevant police authority would send it to you here or at least to a relative from home,who could forward it to you in ireland. maybe its a good idea just to get it now. i dont think it would be that drastic in forcing you to return home for it.

my understanding is that ltr are currently been assessed from one recieved since june 2006 and citizenship since 2005

Advertisement