Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Cars, Din Size Head-Units?

Options
  • 04-01-2008 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Are car manufactures not putting Din size head units in thier cars anymore. Just somthing i've noticed randomly of recent.

-VB-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hyundai are still fitting them to the Elantra, Getz, Atoz, Santa Fe and Tucson. They have started fitting intergrated stereos now though, so they're phasing out DIN sized stereos.
    Kia are also using them on some of their cars. Toyota use Panasonic DIN sized stereos in the Hiace, Subaru did on the outgoing Impreza. ( I think Suzuki do on a few of their cars too)
    There are very few manufacturers still using them, as they come under criticism for being a target for thieves and having small buttons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I think as was saidthe main reason is for theft prevention but I'd say it also increases profits for the manufacturers as people will normally go back to their dealer to fit an upgraded audio unit designed for the car rather then fit a DIN convertor into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Virtually every manufacturer uses their own unique fit stereo these days, with nice big buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

As stated, the integrated stereo was mainly as an anti theft measure. That said, it's gone beyond that now with fully integrated systems, with the display elswhere in the dash and steering wheel controls. There are also a lot of manufacturers who install separate amplifiers and subwoofers. Volvo offer a Dolby Pro-Logic option on most current models.

Essentially, it's all good progress offering the customer a better entertainment system, but it's a pain in the ass if you're an ICE enthusiast and want to fit some serious kit. Most current manufacturer stereos are now linked to the CAN system, which means they can integrate better with other systems e.g. automatic volume drop when parking sensors are engaged, diagnosis, ignition key position sensing, navigation systems, etc.

I got into a new Santa Fe (last August, I think) and it had a single DIN sized Sony stereo in the dash. It was silver in colour and mounted in a black dash - I immediately thought "urrgh - that looks awful" as it stuck out like a sore thumb! I'm sure the Sony unit was a great stereo, but fiddly buttons and limited display size didn't leave me too enamoured.

E92 wrote: »
    Virtually every manufacturer uses their own unique fit stereo these days, with nice big buttons.

True, but if you remove them you'll find that behind the facia they are still either DIN or double DIN in size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Mitsubishi were still putting them in the Lancer up until the recently launched model.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Mitsubishi were still putting them in the Lancer up until the recently launched model.

Correct - but they offer a good Rockford Fosgate upgrade with the new Lancer. I haven't heard the system, but Rockford Fosgate are well respected in ICE circles.

Manufacturers teaming up with big names and using it as a selling point seems to be getting more common, Lexus offering Mark Levinson audio on most of their cars, Toyota using a JBL system in the Prius's upgraded audio system. Ford using branded Sony systems on the Focus,
    Many car manufacturers have been buying in their audio systems for years and giving the ICE manufacturers no mention, It's interesting that they're making a fuss of it now.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Ford using branded Sony systems on the Focus,
    Many car manufacturers have been buying in their audio systems for years and giving the ICE manufacturers no mention

I've seen a half decent Sony setup in a few S-Max too.

I also note that Audi use Bose systems. I'm not quite sure where the manufacturers are going with the 'name dropping' but from what I've heard from these ICE systems, they certainly sound a whole lot better than the standard systems - especially the ability to handle higher volume.

It's a long way from the days when VW (or rather MDL) used to fit bottom of the range Blaupunkt units in the compound in Kill. If you've ever turned on the standard stereo in an early MkIII Golf you'll know what I mean!!

those ones with the square display on the right hand side! memories!
    they used to fit them to Mercedes vans at the time too!

that was even before they got auto-reverse tape decks!

• Advertisement

Well you hardly expected MDL to fit anything above the bare minimum :D The masters of scabbieness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I remember those. We had one on our car and it somehow fried itself to death. No loss, it was a crap radio anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Can we clarify this?

Are we talking about DIN sized "slots" or the actual facia size?

Oilrig wrote: »
    Can we clarify this?

Are we talking about DIN sized "slots" or the actual facia size?

Both. While facia sizes between manufacturers differ to a large extent, the actual 'insert volume' of the stereo unit is still somewhat standard and that appears to be either DIN or double DIN with most manufacturers at the moment. I'm sure that will change in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭SecureSounds

An aftermarket headunit can still be fitted to any vehicle if the car audio store does proper custom work, even cars like the new 5s with iDrive can be upgraded.

There is actually a competition authority in the states looking at car audio from the factory as anti competitive so who knows what might change in the future.

As for the upgraded bose and Harman systems the dealers offer they are an improvement on a standard system but still not even close to a good aftermarket system of the same value. The worst yet has got to be the 350Z....pathetic boom tinkle system. designer brand hifi at it's worst.

Heres an image of a Bose " upgrade "

http://www.securesounds.ie/original%20upgrades/upgrades.htm

Advertisement