Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-op

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CappaLad

Well, I was wondering who exactly determines your co op placement and can you request to be placed somewhere? How is it determined who gets to go on erasmus?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dazzaq07

CappaLad wrote: »
    Well, I was wondering who exactly determines your co op placement and can you request to be placed somewhere? How is it determined who gets to go on erasmus?
    Thanks
    The international coop office decide it. Emmeline Searson and Jerry Cronin are the main people involved. It depends on which course you're doing really on where you get placed. I am studying 3, so I chose to go to Spain, but there's 18% unemployment there, so couldn't get placed and now I'm after securing a place in Toulouse today.

In relation to Erasmus, you can choose whereever the hell you want to go. I was originally given a place in Marseille, but after not being able to get placement in Spain, I had to switch that and now I will be going to Salamanca in Sep.

Hope this helps. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

CappaLad wrote: »
    Well, I was wondering who exactly determines your co op placement and can you request to be placed somewhere?

The co-op office organises co-op placements.
    They send out your online CV to companies, who respond by offering interviews to students.
    You do the interview, [or more than one] and accept the first offer that you are given.

You can organise your own placement, or request to go abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CappaLad

Thanks, that helps alot. Although i have a while before im on placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tomcc

Anybody know the minimum placement period to be accepted by the coop office when arranging own placement?

• Advertisement

Zandali wrote: »
    seriously man up mate. this is the type of attitude that has this country on its knees. im with bill cullen on this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmJNL1BmukU

and then you wonder why the women of this country are so rude to the lazy, lush-ridden college wasters that i see around UL every day

Excuse me?! Are you calling me a lazy lush-ridden waster? You seriously would want to get your facts right before you start slandering me! :mad:

Also, please consider reading the entire thread and see my replies to why I said that. That was posted over 2 years ago as well, so please try and make comments on what I have to say now thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Mossin wrote: »
    Excuse me?! Are you calling me a lazy lush-ridden waster? You seriously would want to get your facts right before you start slandering me! :mad:

Also, please consider reading the entire thread and see my replies to why I said that. That was posted over 2 years ago as well, so please try and make comments on what I have to say now thanks in advance

Don't feed him Mossin ;)

You dont know people's circumstances, and therefore make a sweeping generalisation about people is, in my humble opinion, unfair on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Hey, quick question...How do I edit my online CV? Can I?

I finally have some work experience to add to it :o

Hey, quick question...How do I edit my online CV? Can I?

I finally have some work experience to add to it :o

Go into your online student records and on the homepage of that up in the top right hand corner iirc is a section linking you to your coop cv. Btw I'd get cracking on that now if I were you - get the family and family friends to start throwing up the contacts for work. You can do a bit yourself by keeping the QCA up above 3.0 so at least you can get an interview. Pimp out that CV as much as you can; anything that differentiates you from the pack. Sorry to ring the doomsday bell but judging by how hard it was to get coop this year; I can't imagine next year will be any easier.

Anyway, must get back to work :P

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    Go into your online student records and on the homepage of that up in the top right hand corner iirc is a section linking you to your coop cv. Btw I'd get cracking on that now if I were you - get the family and family friends to start throwing up the contacts for work. You can do a bit yourself by keeping the QCA up above 3.0 so at least you can get an interview. Pimp out that CV as much as you can; anything that differentiates you from the pack. Sorry to ring the doomsday bell but judging by how hard it was to get coop this year; I can't imagine next year will be any easier.

Anyway, must get back to work :P

I have one contact name...kind of available, from my Entrepreneurship interview. I only contacted him via e-mail, but I showed interest in his company in requesting to see his business plan and stuff (he did offer :p)
    And my uncle has plenty of contacts in Dublin, Chicago, San Fransisco, etc so I'll get cracking on that

I'm just worried about my lack of experience. All I have going for me really is a week in O2 Communications in 5th year, and about 2 months volunteering in Oxfam :(

I'm going to run round like a devil with my CV on Saturday I think :P

Hm, all I seem to be able to do is change my Personal Details, ie. my name, e-mail, home address, etc.

I can access my CV, but I can't seem to edit it...:confused:
    Or does that have to be done through the Co-op people or something?

I have one contact name...kind of available, from my Entrepreneurship interview. I only contacted him via e-mail, but I showed interest in his company in requesting to see his business plan and stuff (he did offer :p)
    And my uncle has plenty of contacts in Dublin, Chicago, San Fransisco, etc so I'll get cracking on that

I'm just worried about my lack of experience. All I have going for me really is a week in O2 Communications in 5th year, and about 2 months volunteering in Oxfam :(

I'm going to run round like a devil with my CV on Saturday I think :P

Hm, all I seem to be able to do is change my Personal Details, ie. my name, e-mail, home address, etc.

I can access my CV, but I can't seem to edit it...:confused:
    Or does that have to be done through the Co-op people or something?

you should be able to edit it. Maybe try going through the coop links on the ul website -www.ul.ie/coop and see if that works. To be honest it's your interview more than your work experience that'll swing it for you. Make sure you interview well and are eager.

Um...my online CV has gone blank since this morning :confused:

Or is that for everyone, seeing as the Co-op programme thingy is on today?

I'd just drop into coop office if I was you, they'll be quiet enough this time of the year. If you know where the SAA office is in the main building; its just on down the corridor from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

2nd year mechanical engineer with no coop yet what are my options if i dont get one during the summer
    i realy don't want to have to do the alternitve program is there any other options
    ie project work in your department or sumthing elce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭gloryutd

Mossin wrote: »
    The co-op office organises co-op placements.
    They send out your online CV to companies, who respond by offering interviews to students.
    You do the interview, [or more than one] and accept the first offer that you are given.

You can organise your own placement, or request to go abroad.

I know this post is from a while ago but .... you can definitely organise your own placement if you know someone or whatever?

gloryutd wrote: »
    I know this post is from a while ago but .... you can definitely organise your own placement if you know someone or whatever?

You can organise your own placement if you like, you just need to keep the co-op office informed of any developments (eg. any interview whatever you have)

Just a quick question. I actually haven't filled out any of the forms for going abroad, but if I get a placement abroad through my own means, eg. My uncle's friend in San Francisco, would I be able to go?

Or have I pretty much missed the go-abroad boat by any means?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

mayo_lad wrote: »
    2nd year mechanical engineer with no coop yet what are my options if i dont get one during the summer
    i realy don't want to have to do the alternitve program is there any other options

I did co-op in the summer of 2004

Alot of people in my class didnt have co-op sorted before the term ended.

I actually ended up getting 2 interviews 2 weeks after term ended and had started work by the 3 week in June!!

2 of my mates got interviews in July and started in August.

I dont remember any talk of having to do coursework.

So maybe relax a bit you have until September really before worrying about that.

You can organise your own placement if you like, you just need to keep the co-op office informed of any developments (eg. any interview whatever you have)

Just a quick question. I actually haven't filled out any of the forms for going abroad, but if I get a placement abroad through my own means, eg. My uncle's friend in San Francisco, would I be able to go?

Or have I pretty much missed the go-abroad boat by any means?

iirc the deadline is in the middle of the summer. End of June/Start of July job.

mayo_lad wrote: »
    so just a quick up date on my situation (becouse i'm bored on coop) i'ëventualy got coop with a construction company in the middle east and have been working out here for the last month or so everythings goin fine i spent the last month on a site and am now going in to there head office for training for the remander of my coop :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭Alpish

Quick question, if I have requested foreign placement does that mean that i'm still eligible for placement here in Ireland or will the college just focus on getting me placement outside of Ireland?really have no idea how it works

no you can only go for a international placement or an irish placement you are only eligible for one of them .

• Registered Users Posts: 14 seashore

UL co-op office is a joke, they really ****ed up my co-op!!
    had three interviews lined up but they never told me about them, so missed dem all and have been doing small jobs all around the country, so havin to sort out these small jobs nd moving around the place is a complete bollax...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

seashore wrote: »
    UL co-op office is a joke, they really ****ed up my co-op!!
    had three interviews lined up but they never told me about them, so missed dem all and have been doing small jobs all around the country, so havin to sort out these small jobs nd moving around the place is a complete bollax...

Were they posted up on the online notice board?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

I thought the interview didn't happen until we are back in Uni.Has anyone else applied for Ghana?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

I thought the interview didn't happen until we are back in Uni.Has anyone else applied for Ghana?

I've applied for Ghana too!! Don't know anyone else who has. I really hope I don't chicken out. Don't think we have interviews till we go back. Are you hoping to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

JimmyMoose wrote: »
    I've applied for Ghana too!! Don't know anyone else who has. I really hope I don't chicken out. Don't think we have interviews till we go back. Are you hoping to go?

Yeah man/girl :P im mad to go be some experience like!Did u email in your interest form?I did but got no reply back just wondering if same happened you!any idea what they will ask in interview!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭JimmyMoose

Girl haha, deceiving name indeed. Well I actually was only going through my emails yesterday whilst trying to write a repeat essay, and saw the expression of interest form!! Bit of a panic. Just emailed her last night saying I totally forgot and I would write it today and send it to asap, it should be ok :confused: I really don't know, I'd say they just want to see if you are able for it and make sure they aren't going to send you over with ya wanting to come home a few weeks later! 6 months is so long like, but it should be a challenge indeed :) At least I know of someone else going because everyone I asked if they were going thought I was mad!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭Alpish

Whats this expression of interest form?I never got an email about that

• Advertisement

soooooooo boreeeeeeeeeeeeed in work at the moment i wish they would give me some thing proper to do instead of the sh1te i'm at now

Advertisement