Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-op

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Sup peeps,
    I'm in 2nd year at the mo and I don't have co-op until 2nd semester in 3rd year.

I'm hoping to get some info / tips from people who arranged their own co-op. Like how far in advance should you arrange it? Was it just an email sent by you asking if the company would be interested? stuff like that.

I want to try to avoid a boring co-op and if I can get in with a company that I'd like to work for then that would be gravy !

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

TheTownie wrote: »
    Sup peeps,
    I'm in 2nd year at the mo and I don't have co-op until 2nd semester in 3rd year.

I'm hoping to get some info / tips from people who arranged their own co-op. Like how far in advance should you arrange it? Was it just an email sent by you asking if the company would be interested? stuff like that.

I want to try to avoid a boring co-op and if I can get in with a company that I'd like to work for then that would be gravy !

Cheers.

Best bit of advice; make those 2nd year exams count and don't get anything less than a 3.0 QCA [Or whatever a 2.1 is in your course] otherwise you will struggle beyond belief to get a coop placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Was on Co-op from Jan-June, now on study abroad in Canada.. Have yet to do my report :D

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭toushea

mayo_lad wrote: »
    soooooooo boreeeeeeeeeeeeed in work at the moment i wish they would give me some thing proper to do instead of the sh1te i'm at now

Getting a little chilly over there, I heard twas only 30 degrees today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

toushea wrote: »
    Getting a little chilly over there, I heard twas only 30 degrees today :D

ha ha it actualy rained today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭oldspice

Considering going on international co-op next semester i'm doing BBS Majoring in Accounting and Finance.

Im contemplating either Luxembourg or the US

any info would be greatly appreciated or anyone who went to either country.

My current QCA is 3 would that be suffice to get a decent co-op?

Oldspice.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

oldspice wrote: »
    Considering going on international co-op next semester i'm doing BBS Majoring in Accounting and Finance.

Im contemplating either Luxembourg or the US

any info would be greatly appreciated or anyone who went to either country.

My current QCA is 3 would that be suffice to get a decent co-op?

Oldspice.

you sould be fine with a QCA like that you only need a 2.6 Qca to get Co-op abroad ask the co-op ofice about it

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Mofty

I'm currently on Co Op and really not enjoying it. I'm working far more hours than what i was told I'd be working and for the same pay. Really feels like I’m being taken advantage of. I'm just wondering if I can’t hack it anymore and I decide to go home will I fail Co Op? I have completed over two months

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Mofty wrote: »
    I'm currently on Co Op and really not enjoying it. I'm working far more hours than what i was told I'd be working and for the same pay. Really feels like I’m being taken advantage of. I'm just wondering if I can’t hack it anymore and I decide to go home will I fail Co Op? I have completed over two months
    You will fail. Have you a contract? See if it states the hours your ment to work? If you still feel like there using you get in contact with a lecture your friendly with.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Kzamll1992

I'm hating my coop! am in blanchardstown. it's awful!

• Advertisement

I signed a contract, but it was all in Spanish, so i didn't understand most of it. I figure the contract doesn't mean anything as I am only here and a travel visa and shouldn't even be working. It was the company who organised the travel visa. I am working double the hours i was told i'd be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Mofty wrote: »
    I signed a contract, but it was all in Spanish, so i didn't understand most of it. I figure the contract doesn't mean anything as I am only here and a travel visa and shouldn't even be working. It was the company who organised the travel visa. I am working double the hours i was told i'd be working.

How many hours is that a week? I think there is EU reg on number of hours worked. If you didn't understand the contract why sign it?

I just signed it cause everybody else signed it. I asked for a copy in English, but they didn't provide one. They said the contract wasn't worth the paper it was written cause I'm not supposed to be working. The just wanted it for the accountant. Don't think the EU reg would apply to me as I'm not in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

If ye are having trouble on Co-Op get onto the Co-Op office, there aren't the best both if ye ring and outline yer situation and how its not working out they may be of help, the employers need UL as much much as UL need them. If the problem isn't resolved to yer satisfaction then get on the SU, Paddy or Cathal can give better advice and if needed tell ye how to further proceed with the issue, hope it's of help, they are yer primary options!

Advertisement