Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-op

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Mossin wrote: »
    8 people! Thats a bit ridiculous is it not?? Is the place big or something?
    There can never be enough photocopying to be done...

Well there's about 100-110 full time there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

8 people! Thats a bit ridiculous is it not?? Is the place big or something?

Symantec took on a similar number of people from UL if not more when I did co-op there. They took on a few business people (4 or 5 I think) and myself and a few others in the Localisation department. We were cheap hires for a few months, saved them hiring full time people when it wasn't really worth it for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

And so it begins for however many students it's relevant to.

Suckers smiliepacmanfd8.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Don't call him "Shirley"!! :p:p:D:D

Now I remember why I'm glad I left the house!

My co-op was with a firm in Limerick City. Part of me was hoping to go further away from home at the time, but overall, I was happy with my time there.

So how goes the first day?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

yeah How did your first day go Mossin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

kaimera wrote: »
    And so it begins for however many students it's relevant to.

Suckers smiliepacmanfd8.gif

Yes it has begun.
    Otacon wrote: »
    Now I remember why I'm glad I left the house!

My co-op was with a firm in Limerick City. Part of me was hoping to go further away from home at the time, but overall, I was happy with my time there.

So how goes the first day?

You left the house to go receive the Queens pension!! :p
    Webmonkey wrote: »
    yeah How did your first day go Mossin

The first day was the most bored I have ever been in my entire life.
    I was made walk between 2 buildings all day, outside in the ****ing cold and the rain.
    I was introduced to about 20-25 people in my department, of whom I'll be working with apparently. They are all very nice people, and it is very relaxed [and deadly quiet]. The dress code is casual which made me stand out a bit today, [went in with a shirt and tie combo, I'll know for tomorrow].
    Not sure what exactly I'm going to be doing for 8 months, but after tomorrow I should have a better idea [fingers crossed] :rolleyes:
    We have to have a months worth of induction and training procedures :(

*sniffles* My boy is all growed up!

Yeah, no matter where you go, they seem to bore you for the first while just to see how you handle it. Then they heap work on you, just to see how you'll handle that too!

Any possible office affairs on the horizon!? :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

One of the lads in the Air Corps with us was fond of the "Lady Pilots" as he called them. Crashed and burned pretty quickly...

Nothing like an Army Trolly Dolly either :rolleyes:

*sniffles* My boy is all growed up!

Yeah, no matter where you go, they seem to bore you for the first while just to see how you handle it. Then they heap work on you, just to see how you'll handle that too!

Your boy!?!?
    I'm older than you ya pillock!! :D

I'm sure I can handle the boredom of work, its the boredom of Shannon that is killing me now, and I'm only here a day. *I HAVE NO TV!!*

As for office affairs...All bar one of the staff I met today was male, although the other two marketing co-op students are females from UL. But would you want to risk opening that can of worms??

...But would you want to risk opening that can of worms??

Need I answer?

Are you living on your own? I was for the last three months of my co-op. It was the most BOOOOORRRRING time of my life. I used to walk from the city to the Cresent and back every day 'for sh*ts and giggles', of which I got neither!

• Advertisement

Need I answer?

Are you living on your own? I was for the last three months of my co-op. It was the most BOOOOORRRRING time of my life. I used to walk from the city to the Cresent and back every day 'for sh*ts and giggles', of which I got neither!

Yes I want an answer!

No, I'm living with two others, both working full-time also, but also foreigners [Chinese and Polish], but very nice guys.
    Not much craic though, only 1 real pub down here, and no TV in the house!
    How am I gonna survive with no Soccer??

The first day was the most bored I have ever been in my entire life.
    I was made walk between 2 buildings all day, outside in the ****ing cold and the rain.

Were they attempting to break your spirit or something?
    We have to have a months worth of induction and training procedures :(

I'd love to know who comes up with this crap (more than likely some bottom feeder HR person) as you can see I have a special hatred for HR people (well most of them anyway).

Aye 4 months of training followed by a **** blizzard of work great way to see how someone handles things. Either I'm going to be thrown onto a project and give up cigarettes of else my smoking will sky rocket.
    I'm sure I can handle the boredom of work, its the boredom of Shannon that is killing me now, and I'm only here a day. *I HAVE NO TV!!*

There really isn't a lot to do in Shannon. If you're partial to wine and you can find a willing female to push you I'd suggest trying my wine binge + shopping trolley stunt to relieve boredom but I've no idea where in Shannon the hill is/was.

What exactly are you doing in UL Mossin, from what I gathered you doing some business course? - What department you working in there.
    Sure the first day is bound to be like that but before long you will probably be thrown into the deep end like a lot of companies do (Well in IT anyways) - I'll be going there now in April, must meet up with ya. I'm excited in one way but I not the most comfortable entering a new environment with new people. Scary, done it previous summer - have to do it again now - :)

rmacm wrote: »
    Were they attempting to break your spirit or something?

There really isn't a lot to do in Shannon. If you're partial to wine and you can find a willing female to push you I'd suggest trying my wine binge + shopping trolley stunt to relieve boredom but I've no idea where in Shannon the hill is/was.

I think they were trying to break my spirit indeed.

Rory, I dont think I will ever try that stunt!!
    What exactly are you doing in UL Mossin, from what I gathered you doing some business course? - What department you working in there.
    Sure the first day is bound to be like that but before long you will probably be thrown into the deep end like a lot of companies do (Well in IT anyways) - I'll be going there now in April, must meet up with ya. I'm excited in one way but I not the most comfortable entering a new environment with new people. Scary, done it previous summer - have to do it again now - :)

I'm doing Business with Marketing. I'm working in the Marketing department, in INTEL.
    I don't think we'll be thrown into the deep end anytime soon, not from what I heard today, but I could be mistaken.

Indeed we should meet when you arrive, although, I seriously doubt that I will see much of you in work.

I think they were trying to break my spirit indeed.

Rory, I dont think I will ever try that stunt!!

I'm doing Business with Marketing. I'm working in the Marketing department, in INTEL.
    I don't think we'll be thrown into the deep end anytime soon, not from what I heard today, but I could be mistaken.

Indeed we should meet when you arrive, although, I seriously doubt that I will see much of you in work.
    Yeah true , quite a big place then. I'll prob be in with freak programmers more than likely. Appartently they stay in there overnight sometimes cause they 'love' their job so much lol.

Oh well, gotta go for a drink some night or something. I'm not liking what i'm hearing bout shannon and the bordem :( - Intel were looking for one of the guys in a year ahead of me to work full time even tho he not finished course yet. They offered to pay to relocate him - things must be bad - He's reason for not wanting it is because of the area. no one wants to go there :(

Yeah true , quite a big place then. I'll prob be in with freak programmers more than likely. Appartently they stay in there overnight sometimes cause they 'love' their job so much lol.

Oh well, gotta go for a drink some night or something. I'm not liking what i'm hearing bout shannon and the bordem :( - Intel were looking for one of the guys in a year ahead of me to work full time even tho he not finished course yet. They offered to pay to relocate him - things must be bad - He's reason for not wanting it is because of the area. no one wants to go there :(

Its actaully quite small down there, its just that we are in the other building to most of the programmers and software developers or something like that, [I dont know or really care that much].

Sure just give me a buzz when you get to Shannon, and I'll have someone to go drinking with! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

I was on co-op at Intel Shannon aswell....going back there to work full time in July or some time during the Summer! Who's team are you on?

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    I was on co-op at Intel Shannon aswell....going back there to work full time in July or some time during the Summer! Who's team are you on?

I think John Healy is my manager, and that my mentor is Yaacov.

What did you think of co-op there??

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Wasn't the most exciting day of my life. My left foot is gonna hurt by the end of the week, I can kinda relate to ninty9ers point in a previous thread about having an automatics in traffic. The hour commute is a bit of a pain but thats my choice I suppose.

My department is lacking people of the female persuasion too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Ah John Healy is new since i was there, i have never met him.. Yeah i thought it was good, they treat you like a proper employee, the food in the canteen is unreal too.... can't complain about the place really. They always give co-op's loads of time to do their work too, and if your stuck give someone a shout. Money is decent, and you'ill get at least one bonus too. Its fairly handy, although I wouldn't live in Shannon! Live in Limerick!

Ya can wear in what ya want aswell, like a united jersey will do :D And you can pretty much come and go at any time of the day as long as you have your work done at the end of the week. Who interviewed ya?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

The dress code is casual which made me stand out a bit today, [went in with a shirt and tie combo, I'll know for tomorrow].

I hope they mocked and derided you. I told ya to go in casual clothes (Granted it may have been while the 2 of us were pissed but whatever!)

The first day is always boring, and for some reason, no matter how many years they've been taking co-op students they never seem to know what to do with ya.

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Ah John Healy is new since i was there, i have never met him.. Yeah i thought it was good, they treat you like a proper employee, the food in the canteen is unreal too.... can't complain about the place really. They always give co-op's loads of time to do their work too, and if your stuck give someone a shout. Money is decent, and you'ill get at least one bonus too. Its fairly handy, although I wouldn't live in Shannon! Live in Limerick!

Ya can wear in what ya want aswell, like a united jersey will do :D And you can pretty much come and go at any time of the day as long as you have your work done at the end of the week. Who interviewed ya?

John Healy did my interview.
    The place does look good, and the food is very good on offer in the canteen indeed. I needed a break from Limerick, so I moved to Shannon, although I may be frequenting some mates there each weekend..
    Jeans and a hoodie today!
    Now to get some of this "work" to be doing.
    Peteee wrote: »
    I hope they mocked and derided you. I told ya to go in casual clothes (Granted it may have been while the 2 of us were pissed but whatever!)

The first day is always boring, and for some reason, no matter how many years they've been taking co-op students they never seem to know what to do with ya.

Yeah you told me, and yeah we were pissed, but it was better to make an impression day one, just incase.

The problem with the new college timetable now, is that co-op students like me are starting on the first day back for companies after the xmas holidays, and while managers etc attempt to organise themselves, they have **** all time to be considering us. Its unfortunate, but not much can be done about it.

Yeah you told me, and yeah we were pissed, but it was better to make an impression day one, just incase.

I'd agree with Dave, while most places have a casual dress code it's always a good idea to turn up on your first day with a shirt and slacks (unless of course you're going to be working in a slaughter house or something similar).

...it was better to make an impression day one, just in case.

Impression Given:

"Who's that w*nker in the penguin outfit? Did he not phone ahead to check on the dress code and whatnot?"

Only messing, yeah it is a better idea to go in the suit. At least they now know you scrub up well [or not]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Well it seems I overestimated on numbers. There's 6 of us 3 Laccy and 3 Business, to be joined by a B.Comm from UCC in April. There's 65-70 full time staff there and I'm sharing a big desk in a corridor with one of the other guys.

I'm not sure if the co-op office placed ANY of us actually having spoken to the guys + gal. Forgot to ask 1 og the lads but the other 5 of us "pulled" our way in. Like my friend's dad said at the weekend

"ah pull, the only way to get any job worth having in this country";)

My first day, writing a lot of letters (well reprinting last year's ones with the dates changed:D:D) took until lunchtime today to cross check them all:eek::eek:

Not quite the deep end yet, but then I'm fairly tall:p

6-a-side soccer lastnight, which they do every week with varying numbers. Good craic, but tiring and I got blisters. My soccer skills wer quite easily the worst on the pitcs, but that's no news to anyone who knows me:lol:

Everyone is really sound and they all seem to be ex UL business:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Nutty

best par of my co-op was the pure and uter criac/madness that could be seen in the office.. a suit was a rare thing to be seen .. and you'd wonder when you saw the CEO in a tie... was funny.. we have juggling balls.. 2 hurls and tennis balls and a rugby ball throughtout the office which could be flung at you whe you least expect it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

ninty9er wrote: »
    6-a-side soccer lastnight, which they do every week with varying numbers. Good craic, but tiring and I got blisters. My soccer skills wer quite easily the worst on the pitcs, but that's no news to anyone who knows me:lol:

Lmao! :D Poor lad! :D Sorry, can't stop smiling at that one! :D:D:D Rest yourself there, dear. :p

Ah, in our office someone was always abroad with the Committee members (I was working on the Joint Committee on European Affairs in the Houses of the Oireachtas, which, obviously, entailed a lot of travelling)...it was customary to bring back foreign sweets to try them out. We liked Tofifees (that's not a misspelling)..I'm not sure if they're available here. We'd be eating for the entire day! It was great... And then there were the sessions in the Dáil bar... *sigh* :D

Anyone wanna swap co-op for an FYP instead? Anyone? Anyone at all? :(

Lmao! :D Poor lad! :D Sorry, can't stop smiling at that one! :D:D:D Rest yourself there, dear. :p

Leave the lad alone, sure he's an accountant, they dont have the flair for football..

I might swap the FYP for co-op...Mine is that boring!!

Perhaps, it might give me something to do at work. I won't be able to vouch for the quality of anything I produce however if I had my way I'd be drunk off my tits while doing it.
    I might swap the FYP for co-op...Mine is that boring!!

I'd say I'm glad I'm not the only one bored at work....another productive day browsing the web for me today :(

• Advertisement

rmacm wrote: »
    I'd say I'm glad I'm not the only one bored at work....another productive day browsing the web for me today :(

Yes Rory, but I am expected to be bored for a while, it is co-op and all that, but you are in full-time employment!!
    But you can't beat a day browsing the web, albeit just one day!

Advertisement