Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-op

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Perhaps I'm expecting too much given that it is my first week back after Christmas and I've been training since I've started.....oh well I guess I can handle the boredom for another few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'm getting a bit bored, myself and the lad I'm sharing the desk with spent half an hour doing our pre co-op report and filling in our details for HR.

I've plenty of people to ask for something to do, my department is nearly half of the entire staff.

I suppose it's not like we're getting stuff they wouldn't do themselves, but stuff they don't LIKE to do themselves. They seem very impressed at the time I'm making.

It seems accountants in general aren;t aware of the find > replace function within Word.....damned if I was going to rewrite or even copy and paste a company's name 35 times in a word doc:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

What exactly is everyone doing for their co-ops? Like what are your job titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

caesar wrote: »
    I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you.

^^ It's alright he's from Mayo you could kill him and no one would notice :p
    kaimera wrote: »
    I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you.

Yes we couldn't have the supper sekkrit goings on of your office revealed to the general boards populous now could we :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

rmacm wrote: »
    ^^ It's alright he's from Mayo you could kill him and no one would notice :p

:eek::eek:
    I was gonna be smart and say something back...but I looked at kaimera's location instead of yours and I went in search of something good to say back about laois
    Wikipedia
    The county is home to over 230,000 cattle, four cows for every person. The remaining area includes considerable stretches of raised bog.

Lmao at the bit in bold, good old wiki :D:p

Awaits the onslaught of abuse from the boardsies from laois

:eek::eek:
    I was gonna be smart and say something back...but I looked at kaimera's location instead of yours and I went in search of something good to say back about laois

kaimera is living in Dublin as well, speaking of Laois we all have our dark dark secrets.
    Awaits the onslaught of abuse from the boardsies from laois

Even though I was born in the accursed county (my dark dark secret) I was raised in Tipperary so I'm going to abuse Mayo now.

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/County_Mayo
    http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Ballina

Some good reading there and it just reinforces the idea that Mayo is one of those places no one should ever go willingly.

There are some Mayo people I can tolerate.....two particular people (witchdoctor and gob****e) however has soured my opinion of the place/people.

Lest I cause offense most of this post is supposed to be funny but knowing me I may be totally wide of the mark when it comes to humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Mossin wrote: »
    Leave the lad alone, sure he's an accountant, they dont have the flair for football..
    Soccer is all about the money :p
    I might swap the FYP for co-op...Mine is that boring!!
    Ok! :)
    Perhaps, it might give me something to do at work. I won't be able to vouch for the quality of anything I produce however if I had my way I'd be drunk off my tits while doing it.

Equally fine! :)
    I'd say I'm glad I'm not the only one bored at work....another productive day browsing the web for me today :(
    Likewise...except in the library, supposedly working on aforementioned FYP. :p

Equally fine! :)

Are you really willing to take that risk.....I could produce some quality drivel if I were drunk :).
    Likewise...except in the library, supposedly working on aforementioned FYP. :p

I've become slightly more hopeful of having something to do in the next while so it's not so bad now. I know what you mean about the FYP, it takes a lot of time to work up the motivation to do anything (well at least that's the way I found it) once I got started on something I was fine though. Granted the state I was in by the end of it all was probably a testament to leaving somethings till the last minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,916 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Anyone gone outside Ireland? And how do the college go about setting you up with Co-op? Do you get a say or do they tell ya where you are going?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

mars bar wrote: »
    Anyone gone outside Ireland? And how do the college go about setting you up with Co-op? Do you get a say or do they tell ya where you are going?

I know somebody gone to Luxembourg, but I have no idea how they are getting on.

As for setting up Co-op. Well now, its a very intricate process, involving filling out a tedious and useless online CV 2 semesters before you are due to begin.
    Then the superbly run Co-op office :rolleyes: put names of people on the Co-op board for companies who have seen your CV and want to interview you.
    You go to Co-op office, receive the company name and any other details, you do your interview, either on-campus or off-campus. Then if you are successful, your name is placed on the Co-op board again, saying so.
    If you have attended multiple interviews, you must accept the job for the company which is placed on the Co-op board, even if its for a job you didnt want.
    So all in all, no you dont get a say it in at all.

Alternatively, you can organise your own Co-op, like Ninety9er did.

mars bar wrote: »

You can organise you own or the Co-op Office will organise interviews for you. However if you are offered a job on the basis of a Co-op Office interview, you must accept it or find your own, as they will not organise any more interviews after you have been offered a job, even if you don't want it

I hope to go to Belgium...I'm going to find out about theatres and studios and stuff over there...Thanks very much guys! I hope to sort my own co-op so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 springs

Aerodynamacist.

I certainly recommend sorting out your own co-op. I suggest doing it a few months before co-op office start doing it for you and then use them as an alternative if you have no success. Thats what I did and i certainly don't regret it.

And how do you go about it?
    I know a family in Belgium, they have contacts over there and they are willing to help me out...
    (I have ages left till co-op...I'm not even in college yet(should be though) so my co-op is about 3 years away but I want to have a fair idea...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 springs

You just go to companies you want to work for, give them your cv and ask for 8 months paid work placement during the period given to you on this website:

http://www.ul.ie/coop/coop/students/calendar.shtml

Once you have that job organized, go tell the co-op office or they will get you an interview, which you don't want. You are expected to organize all details yourself like accomm, flights, visa if required. An advantage is that you might be eligble for the Da Vinci grant because your placement is abroad. I got 2,700 from this which really helped.

3 years? Wow you are an early starter. You may as well start your fyp soon too. Dont want to be rushing:D

That's a deadly help!!
    Yeah I'm all excited about it, this has given me more of a determination to get the points this time round(i'm repeating!):D

Just a quick Co-op update.
    Bored out of my tree here at the minute, as you can tell by all my posts on boards today.
    The job isnt too bad overall, I'm just sick of waiting for meetings to happen, and then I'm bored in them, although some are minutely interesting.
    I have finished a months worth of online trainings already, which in hindsight propbaly wasnt the best idea in the world. But anyways, at least they are done.

How are others getting on??

from bored out of the nice big tree bending over the carpark wall to under the 6 feet of snow they had in parts of the world not so long ago in 72 hours.

I did get to go home early today though:D:D I volunteered to post a letter at the GPO and was told it wouldn't be worth my while coming back up cos by the time........................

Anyhow I was home at 5, half an hour before work finished....NICE ONE!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 LiveThroughThis

I'm going on Co-op to Frankfurt!
    Flying out next weekend..start work on Monday!
    Woohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

does anyone when abouts interviews for 3rd year business (:D) co-op are held? Im in 2nd year now, and just wondering because I want to arrange my own placement and would like to know when to get moving.

EI-DAV wrote: »
    does anyone when abouts interviews for 3rd year business (:D) co-op are held? Im in 2nd year now, and just wondering because I want to arrange my own placement and would like to know when to get moving.

I should know seeing as I just went through the process last semester :rolleyes:
    AFAIK the new BBS course that you are doing still has co-op in 2nd semester of 3rd year right!!??
    If so, you will need to have your onine CV completed before the end of the spring semester for the co-op office, as interviews will commence in week 2 of Semester 1 of 3rd year.
    It's never too early to start looking for Co-op anyways, as it can take companies ages to give you an answer and you dont want to have your CV frozen with the Co-op office and the nfind out you cant organise your own, and get stuck with some stupid placement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

springs wrote: »
    Yeah. If there is one piece of advice I would give people who haven't got it organised yet is to throw your cv around a few places you'd like to work first. Then if that doesn't work take what the co-op office give you.

I had an interview with the Air Corps but had organised my placement with a racing car manufacturer in the UK already so I definitely came off better for it. Although I hear the air corps is a good place to work too.

What company did you work for?

5uspect wrote: »
    Did mine in the Air Corps. Was great balance of really good work and dossin.:)

Did you get an interview with them through college?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

Anybody gone to South America for theirs? I'm seriously considering it, can anybody tell me what they've heard about it so far?

Ok so, middle of week 6 and I'm for once actually doing some work.
    Thats probably because I wasted yesterday hungover as hell and feel bad about it. I could do nothing again, as my supervisor is away for this week and next, but I better have something to show him when he returns.

Also I moving out of this hell hole that is Shannon and back to Limerick and I'm going to commute each day, my sanity is worth more than the hassle of commuting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Haha as a guy who used to work in Shannon on CoOp I predicted that it would drive you crazy way back on the first page of this thread:D

If you've a car move out near LIT to save you crossing town in the mornings and espessially in the evenings when the traffic is shit, friend of mine was able to turn into the housing estate he lived in about 300 metres before the traffic gets really bad going into town.

I dont know what time the busses pass that end of town (if you dont have a car) but your probably better off out by LIT than in Castletroy, the bus that got me to Shannon on time for 8am (before I gave up and bought a car) leaves at 7am outside TKmaxx which means you've to be up sometime after 6 which isnt exactly fun (niether is the ~€50 a week it costs!)

cooperguy wrote: »
    Haha as a guy who used to work in Shannon on CoOp I predicted that it would drive you crazy way back on the first page of this thread:D

If you've a car move out near LIT to save you crossing town in the mornings and espessially in the evenings when the traffic is shit, friend of mine was able to turn into the housing estate he lived in about 300 metres before the traffic gets really bad going into town.

I dont know what time the busses pass that end of town (if you dont have a car) but your probably better off out by LIT than in Castletroy, the bus that got me to Shannon on time for 8am (before I gave up and bought a car) leaves at 7am outside TKmaxx which means you've to be up sometime after 6 which isnt exactly fun (niether is the ~€50 a week it costs!)

It was definitely worth trying to live in Shannon though, nice clean house, heating, etc...but it is the boredom when evenings coem that was the killer.

I dont have a car, but luckily another Co-op student working with me does, and she commutes from Dromroe each day, so I am sorted, no buses for me!! Although somedays I may find it difficult to get out of bed, but I know what times the buses leave the station at so its not so bad. But like you say the €50 p/w would be a killer alright..

Is there anybody on here at the moment who is currently enduring the co-op interview experience that is provided by the Co-op office?

Law and Euro and Comp Sys no?

Where are people being sent this semester? I was told that a Law and Euro had an interview for Cork County Council :(:confused:

• Advertisement

Is there anybody on here at the moment who is currently enduring the co-op interview experience that is provided by the Co-op office?

Law and Euro and Comp Sys no?

Where are people being sent this semester? I was told that a Law and Euro had an interview for Cork County Council :(:confused:

Public Admin I believe, though possibly LEuro too

Advertisement