Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-op

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

ninty9er wrote: »
    Public Admin I believe, though possibly LEuro too

Or a HPSSer, and possible English & History as well.

The best, however, is Eng & History/New Media and Eng students getting landed with jobs in Hertz. Yes, the car rental company. Sorting out rentals. Yes. I know of a few people who had their co-op there. Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ni ni

Can I just say I'm the only person in my class still waiting for my co-op!!!! everyone else is in France, Japan, Germany Switzerland and Spain (it's applied languages) and I'm the only person left in Limerick!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

I'm so bored!!

It's week 11 of Co-op and I actually have stuff to be doing, but as per usual one or more of my managers is away on a business trip or out sick. :(

Its good not to have someone looking over my shoulder, but a bit of feedback now and again wouldnt be so bad...

On a brighter note, 3 day week!!! and only tomorrow left to work, then a 4 day weekend followed by a 4 day week!!!:)

Things are looking good for the rest of March, especially with the good weather [touch wood it stays]

Also got notified of a pay rise last week which comes into effect for my next pay [woohoo :pac:]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Hey hows it going there now.

I just called up there earlier today to find Intel , don't want to be looking for it the morning I go up there. Is that all there really is to Shannon? - Big industrial businesses. I didnt even see a town - Surely I missed the actual main part of shannon?

Anyways you still staying there? - Whats accommodation like. I've nothing sorted but think i'll stay with friends in limerick for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Hey hows it going there now.

I just called up there earlier today to find Intel , don't want to be looking for it the morning I go up there. Is that all there really is to Shannon? - Big industrial businesses. I didnt even see a town - Surely I missed the actual main part of shannon?

Anyways you still staying there? - Whats accommodation like. I've nothing sorted but think i'll stay with friends in limerick for a while.
    Stay in limerick DONT stay in Shannon. If you wen to Intell in Shannon you wouldnt have needed to go to the town centre. Having said that its not very big so you could have missed it too:D

• Advertisement

I dunno, I'm the kinda guy that keeps to himself so I don't think id get bored, can always call out to limerick. I've got a car so I could go anywhere in evenings really.

More than likely i'll stay in Limerick but how much is it to rent out a place in Shannon - can't be that expensive really can it seeing as no one wants to stay there!

I dunno, I'm the kinda guy that keeps to himself so I don't think id get bored, can always call out to limerick. I've got a car so I could go anywhere in evenings really.

More than likely i'll stay in Limerick but how much is it to rent out a place in Shannon - can't be that expensive really can it seeing as no one wants to stay there!

Like it has been said already DONT live in Shannon.

I'm no longer staying there, I am commuting from Castletroy each day.

Rent was €360 per month where I was living [Hurlers Cross, Shannon]
    You can PM me for more details because I had bad dealings with the landlord there, so I'm advising against moving into that house.

As you have a car, it makes things a little easier for you. You have the choice of where you want to stay.

Are you starting with us here at Intel next monday??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

I'd agree with what Mossin and others have said about living in Shannon, it can be dead enough at times if you don't know anyone there. Granted the extent of my being there has been to fly out of the place or passing through on a bus. Of course there was that one drunken trip involving a shopping trolley.

Mossin wrote: »
    Are you starting with us here at Intel next monday??

To answer my own question, I have discovered through the powers that be, that you are indeed starting with us next Monday, the 31st March :)

I shall be in training Monday morning :(

But the good news is that there has been a co-op committee set-up to help integrate new co-ops into this fine establishment :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    The committee comprises of myself and a few other unfortunate co-ops who got roped into it because our induction was so bad. I think it was to give us something to do tbh.

Anyhow, we have arranged a meeting with the new co-ops starting Monday, and we will all be meeting on Tuesday. Something to look forward to :D:D

Hah cool, great, how long does training last. Is it easy going there?

I was hoping I wouldn't be the only person starting work in my position, know of any other programmers starting?

I thought I was starting Tuesday, but ne ways. Better be there Monday so!

Thanks for the advice on the accommodation.

• Advertisement

Hah cool, great, how long does training last. Is it easy going there?

I was hoping I wouldn't be the only person starting work in my position, know of any other programmers starting?

I thought I was starting Tuesday, but ne ways. Better be there Monday so!

Thanks for the advice on the accommodation.

No problem.

There are 3 software people starting next week.
    AFAIK ye are all starting on the 31st March, but I could be wrong on that.

Ye kinda have to do some mandatory trainings, I'm here 13 weeks, and each week or so there seems to be another training that is required, but they are more of an endurance test than anything, especially when you turn up hungover :(

I'm working in the marketing department, so I doubt we'll have much contact apart from the co-op meetings etc...
    The craic with us is fairly good, I have a feeling that you will be loacted in Dromore House, which is the main building, while we are in the other one.

Ya do have to put up with a lot of corporate ****, but its bearable, and life is quite easy going, and ya have to love the casual wear, no shirts and ties, you can wear whatever ya like....I came in wearing a Leinster Rugby jersey one day...lets jsut say I didnt wear it again the next :p:)

Ah thats something so, didn't know what to wear. Was thinking of wearing shirt first day for good impression but maybe just wear a polo t-shirt or something.

I'll turn up monday so, it the more obvious day to start suppose. We just decided to start 1st april as it sounded good but that tuesday. Anyways I've no idea who to ask for or anything when I go in, so take it reception will know what i'm here for.

As for working times, is it flexi time? - I was told by the software crew that we could come in any time. Probably different to ye though.

I'd probably still wear a shirt on the first day, just dont wear a tie with it. You will probably get your picture for your ID card taken on the first day, so you gotta look ok.
    I got some unmerciful slagging for wearing a shirt/tie combination on my first day here. All in good fun though :)

Intel is located on the 2nd floor of the building, with Halifax in 2 of the other 3floors, with one floor empty [why I dont know :rolleyes:]

So when you go in, there should be someone at the reception, but just go in and take the life to the 2nd floor, go left through the door, and the receptionist there should buzz you in the door. That's assuming that no-one is meeting you downstairs.

We work 8am - 4pm
    We do this to avoid the worst traffic around Limerick.
    We are required to be on site between 10 and 4 anyways. Its not exactly flexi-time but they are fairly lenient here. They understand that we are co-ops :) So hangovers are overlooked slightly :D

Good stuff thanks. Least I've a better idea whats going on now!

Thanks.

Not a problem.

Have fun and get some sleep, these early mornings are a b**ch!!

See you next week ;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 back2black

Just about got half my co-op finished. Im cracking up. Im in a small company in dublin. €120 a week on rent is killing! should have gone abroad like most people, wish i was back doin the college life like every1 else. im nly 2nd yr but im doin history nd politics and im working in an accounting firm up here, wtf??? and since most people i know are still in college and not doin co-op til next yr i still get the drunken phone calls when they r on the way home from the lodge on a thurs nite- thanks lads!

back2black wrote: »
    Just about got half my co-op finished. Im cracking up. Im in a small company in dublin. €120 a week on rent is killing! should have gone abroad like most people, wish i was back doin the college life like every1 else. im nly 2nd yr but im doin history nd politics and im working in an accounting firm up here, wtf??? and since most people i know are still in college and not doin co-op til next yr i still get the drunken phone calls when they r on the way home from the lodge on a thurs nite- thanks lads!

Another HPSSer! *grabs and hugs*

What the hell are you doing in an accounting firm?! What are you doing there? :eek: Now that's a bit mad. Currently reviewing humanities placements with the Humanities Co-op manager, Jerry Cronin. Drop me a PM with details of your placement and how relevant you think it is to your course if you like... The more negative feedback we get about humanities' placements the better chance we have of bringing about a change. [I'm the College of Humanities' Officer and the college representative on the SU executive, just in case you're wondering why I'm so interested!!]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

[I'm the College of Humanities' Officer and the college representative on the SU executive, just in case you're wondering why I'm so interested!!]
    and soon to be PPO, so many irons in the fire, so many strings to the bow....:D

cooperguy wrote: »
    and soon to be PPO, so many irons in the fire, so many strings to the bow....:D

Yeah, but when I'm PPO I won't be the Humanities' Officer! :) One thing at a time, my dear, one thing at a time! :D (sort of...!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 David@Bayard.co

back2black wrote: »
    €120 a week on rent is killing! should have gone abroad like most people, wish i was back doin the college life like every1 else

On Co-op in paris at the moment - doing absolute wonders for my French. But you know those days when your tired, hungover and all you wanna do is get in and get out >>>>> try doing it through french.

Paris is savage craic though although the night life is a bit different ie. clubs don't close :):):):):)

But it is also really expensive ie €17 Euro for Whiskey and Coke!

€520 a month on rent ........... doesn't sound too bad util the co op office slaves you off for €450 a month (yes thats what I get per month in my wages)

Luckily enough I landed a really good job in MARKETING - though I'm majoring in HR. Its really interesting with a bit of HR thrown in so I'm happy enough.

Though I did have to get a job in a pub on the side - so here I am, in Paris, wonderful city on co-op doing the traditional Parisian thing!!

Metro - Boulot - Do....... or in my case, because of my ****ty wages................... Metro - Boulot - Metro - Boulot - Do!

Chaque jour!!!!

But it will be worth it!!!!

• Advertisement

Working abroad must be bad enough without having to work for f**k all money. Having to get a second job to fund living must really suck!! :(

How did you land a Marketing job?? :mad: Here I am stuck in Intel supposedly doing marketing, but in reality doing research, and I'm a marketing major....

Have fun anyway, thats what I'm doing :D

Working abroad must be bad enough without having to work for f**k all money. Having to get a second job to fund living must really suck!! :(

How did you land a Marketing job?? :mad: Here I am stuck in Intel supposedly doing marketing, but in reality doing research, and I'm a marketing major....

Have fun anyway, thats what I'm doing :D
    How're things over in your side - Off to lunch now :D

How're things over in your side - Off to lunch now :D

LMAO :D:D

You could just IM me, but sure I suppose this is more fun...This isnt logged!

Not long back from lunch myself, nursing a bit of a hangover, whats new there like!?! Not doing much....How about you?? Have you met the new co-ops??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

LMAO :D:D

This isnt logged!

Wanna bet?

So its almost the end of April, and this co-op malarky isnt as bad as it seemed at the beginning. I'll probably be here bitching again in another few weeks, but I'm having a great time at the minute.

I'm getting paid for sitting on my arse all day, looking at websites, market reports, forecasts, etc..blah blah blah, and doing nothing with the information because its way too complex and and most of it goes over my head.

But, as the contract countdown which I have attached shows, I have completed 43%+ of co-op thus far. :)

I have my concert tickets bought, rent almost all cleared up, and lots of drinking money. I think things are starting to improve :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 divad

Hello, new to all this, but as i'm on Coop and spend a good part of the day on the net i said i'd join

Just wondering when does the person from the college come to visit or do they at all, i just wanna make sure to have something ready for them, surely they dont just turn up outta the blue and surprise you??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

divad wrote: »
    Hello, new to all this, but as i'm on Coop and spend a good part of the day on the net i said i'd join

Just wondering when does the person from the college come to visit or do they at all, i just wanna make sure to have something ready for them, surely they dont just turn up outta the blue and surprise you??
    Eh, I cant remember if they surprise you or not.

afair they only chat with ya about how its going and stuff. I didnt get asked to produce anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 divad

Well thats not too bad so, i suppose as good as the coop office is they'll be efficient about it and give plenty of notice and so on!

One of the Electronic Engineering students had a visit from the co-op office here about 3 weeks ago now. That would have been 3 months into his placement. They rang the day before to inform him. He just told him what he was doing on co-op, and problems, and then the man chatted to his manager for a few minutes and left. All was hunky-dorey. Its mainly done just for the sake of being done tbh...

And welcome to the UL forum.

• Advertisement

I heard about my visit through word of mouth from another student in a different department (department as in Government Department: I was in the Houses of the Oireachtas, he was in...some place else :o... So basically, in different work places altogether). I didn't hear from the supervisor myself at all so it was lucky that the other guy knew me and told me to come along. Basically, he took us for lunch and asked us how we were getting on and got us to fill out a form thing IIRC. It lasted all of about 15 minutes I'd say and he never entered either of our actual work places. Yaay for humanities! :D

Advertisement