Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-op

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Wilburt wrote: »
    In on work placement with a load of UL heads here in Dublin, nice bunch.
    Arn't they just :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Arn't they just :D

Aww, thanks Webmonkey....Its nice to know someone notices us here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Had a co-op interim review during the week. Everything going fine etc.... said not to worry if I don't leave with a contract that the 6 co-ops are guaranteed a 2nd round interview.

I wasn't really all that pushed about coming back and said I'd probably do retail for a few years to be able to afford to live as a trainee accountant, as it seems a few of the guys in our place are still dependent on parents 3 years after graduating. She told me to speak to the lads in recruitment because they recruit for a lot of, lets say, multinationals with a management programmes, who pay a lot more (about €15k more) to graduates.

I need to vent for a little bit!!
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

ARGH, god this co-op can be frustrating!!
    Monotonous, unrewarding, no respect, treated like idiots at times...

Jeez, dont they know that some of us actually had decent jobs before co-op and had responsibilities etc...this is b****x!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Mossin wrote: »
    I need to vent for a little bit!!
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

ARGH, god this co-op can be frustrating!!
    Monotonous, unrewarding, no respect, treated like idiots at times...

Jeez, dont they know that some of us actually had decent jobs before co-op and had responsibilities etc...this is b****x!!

I told ya so! :pac:

For many, this is the very reason co-op can be a waste of time. Unfortunately, this is where you have to get pro-active.

You probably know something around the office, in your processes that can be improved. Draw up a plan to change it for the better and then bring it to your manager...

• Advertisement

The thing is, I got proactive, and got some stuff done, which was appreciated by the site manager, but the people it affected most threw it back in my face, some people just cant be dealt with, and

Just ARGH!! :mad::mad:
    [/end rant]

/shouts at BD to hurry up with the COOKIES!!! :pac:

Its gonna take more than cookies this time I'm afraid!
    I think I need .... dare I say it ... alcohol :eek:

Actually that wont even help me get rid of this frustration, I think I'll compound the misery and go to Storm tonight....

Oh, go and see Speed Racer. Best non-narcotically induced acid trip EVAR!!!11

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Otacon wrote: »
    Oh, go and see Speed Racer. Best non-narcotically induced acid trip EVAR!!!11

What is it with you and terrible films! First Superman and now this :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Otacon wrote: »
    /shouts at BD to hurry up with the COOKIES!!! :pac:

*rushes in* Sorry! Sorry! I had a stupid exam!
    Its gonna take more than cookies this time I'm afraid!
    I think I need .... dare I say it ... alcohol :eek:

Actually that wont even help me get rid of this frustration, I think I'll compound the misery and go to Storm tonight....

Cookies!? Extra-large and extra-choc chip, just for you! ;)

Alternatively, come to the Stables...

No consultation involved.

me types email:

Dear all,

please note that paper for the copier on the 2nd floor is now on the shelves directly above the binders (as opposed to on the floor). Good paper is now new ultra white for this machine and not just white. It is also on the shelves next to continuation paper.

Derek.

Send to: All

Feck consultation, just do the ****in job and if the don't like it let um put it back the way it was themselves. Other initiateves under consideration from ninty9er;

Default double sided print and copy (though doesn't do well for financial statements).

Switch off all the lights at lunchtime.

Spend your day looking out the window by your new desk:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

ninty9er wrote: »
    Feck consultation, just do the ****in job and if the don't like it let um put it back the way it was themselves.

I've no idea what you were yaking on about with the paper and photocopier but have you considered that sometimes there are good reasons for things being the way they are and people might not appreciate you changing things without consultation? You may not have been serious about the above but meh it's something to think about.
    ninty9er wrote: »
    Default double sided print and copy (though doesn't do well for financial statements).

A good idea indeed, do ITD provide duplex printing? I'm pretty sure they didn't last time I printed something from an ITD managed printer.

rmacm wrote: »
    I've no idea what you were yaking on about with the paper and photocopier but have you considered that sometimes there are good reasons for things being the way they are and people might not appreciate you changing things without consultation? You may not have been serious about the above but meh it's something to think about.

Ah it's done now. Had to be sure....was drivin me nuts anyway (plus it's much easier on the back;)) Best response I got was; "Hey Daly, are you auditioning for a Daz ad or something....new ultra white indeed *whole office laughs*"

rmacm wrote: »
    A good idea indeed, do ITD provide duplex printing? I'm pretty sure they didn't last time I printed something from an ITD managed printer.
    Where the hardware allows they do.

Over half way through co-op now. :)

Still as boring as ever...God damn I hate market research, that much I knew before co-op, thanks to that awful module semester 1 of third year :( and yet its what I have to do for 8 hours a day mon - fri

Co-op nights out are good craic though, another one coming up this Wed, after the CL final of course! That's definitely going to lead to a worse hangover than I have today because of BULBS last night

Also, afaik there are more UL students joining me on co-op in Shannon....obviously not boardsies though....not yet anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

So recruit them! As long as they are (a) female and (b) good looking

:pac:
    I've tried to get the other co-ops here to join, thus far I have gotten 1 guy and 1 girl to post here...
    There are 2 more co-ops who are boardsies, just not from UL, although one sometimes posts in this thread...hey donal! :D

If the newbies are female, I will attempt to coerce them into joining boards...but I have a feeling that they are male :( computers or engineering or something like that

Well one of the newbies is a guy anyways, he joining my team :) - Finally a co op for my team!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Still as boring as ever...God damn I hate market research, that much I knew before co-op, thanks to that awful module semester 1 of third year :( and yet its what I have to do for 8 hours a day mon - fri
    Mossin,

I'm just going into third year Business, majoring in Marketing, and was wondering what the title of that module you were talking about there (so I can brace myself!) ?

What kinda stuff are you doing day-in, day-out?

Rineanna wrote: »
    Mossin,

I'm just going into third year Business, majoring in Marketing, and was wondering what the title of that module you were talking about there (so I can brace myself!) ?

What kinda stuff are you doing day-in, day-out?

Hi Rineanna...

That module was titled Market Research...Go figure that thats what it entailed :rolleyes:
    Seriously though, it was 100% coursework, with 3 assignments, a presentation [group], a group project and an individual assignment. We were given a topic atthe start of the semester, and all 3 assignments were based on it.
    It was tough going, but no exam made it worthwhile....

As I type all that I realise that you are in the new BBS course arent you..You do your major in 2nd year, and afaik you wont have to do that module. I think we were the last year...

What do I do day in day out on co-op?

• Advertisement

Another Monday has arrived, and another 8 am start..

But I dont care too much anymore, not that I cared greatly before today.

My contract countdown shows a healthy 64% of co-op completed, and only 63 working days left :)
    But that doesnt factor in my holidays booked off at the end or this Friday which I have off, so I have only got 55 working days left :)

Things are looking good, the end is in sight :)

Just to get over this week now, with 3 meetings with managers, and presentations in 2 of them :(

But another 4 day week, so I'm happy out :)

I should be there in Intel! - Damn car, slowing me down :(

Webmonkey wrote: »
    I should be there in Intel! - Damn car, slowing me down :(

Yes you should be!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 David@Bayard.co

Well guys - I'm still in Paris

Not entitled to any holidays or anything but I couldn't be in a better place!!!!

Euro fever has taken off today before the match, and PARIS IS HOPPING!!!!!

Loving it - Lovely weather to!!!!

Good luck with the rest of your co-ops but I know that the next two weeks here are going to be class.

FRANCE FOR THE EURO!!! (just cause the craic will be mighty)!!

I've got my co-op assesser coming next Friday, thats the 27th June.
    The nice lady hadnt even the decency to call me :rolleyes:
    I found out through another co-op.
    I dont care that much tbh, its one of those poxt formalities that has to be done I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Well at least she won't ask you why your company doesn't localise their products into whatever the hell they speak on the Faroe Islands (Faroese & Danish). We did localise into Danish but Faroese not a chance. Clearly he didn't figure out that Symantec were in the business of making money not catering for an island with ~50,000 people on it.

There generally isn't much to it and most of the stories I've heard have gone like this.

Supervisor: "How are things going?"
    Person: "Grand"
    Supervisor: "Any trouble with anything"
    Person: "No"

/person toddles off to drink coffee or continue with what they were doing forgetting that the co-op supervisor ever existed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

I've got my co-op assesser coming next Friday, thats the 27th June.
    The nice lady hadnt even the decency to call me :rolleyes:
    I found out through another co-op.

This is how I found out about my visit as well. Fear not! It probably means that they'll keep it short! Well, at least mine did...

Oh I dont fear it at all, my co-op is going smoothly in spite of the fact that I dont like it. So one more formality before I finish in 51 days time wont be a problem :)

Right, I'm bored in work and have decided to do my co-op report.
    It's been a work in slow progress for about a week now, and that's just because I couldnt be ars*d looking for real work to do!

Anyhow, the stupid UL co-op website wont allow me to access the student materials necessary to complete my report!! :mad:
    Typical that I'd try to do something useful and something poxy would prevent me from doing it!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭BRENSH

For my co-op I am in Galway at the moment. It is awesome. It just so relaxed. More than I expected. Last summer I worked on a building site. The best part is that payment at the end of every month though. Oh Yeah.

Advertisement